5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minimal Tool List

coolhandluchs

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been discussed, maybe this isn't the right thread, but does anyone have a solid list of the wrench/socket sizes needed for an off-road toolbox? Not looking for recovery gear, jacks, or compressors, just a really well-sorted list of hand tools to keep in the truck.

Right now I know I need 10mm and 13mm wrenches, and a 19mm thin-wall socket (lugs). Of course there are pliers, screwdrivers, an adjustable wrench, and other useful things, but I'm carrying around a bunch of box wrenches and sockets I probably don't need.

So, who knows exactly what size wrenches/sockets are necessary?

Edit: In the spirit of "teaching a man to fish", here's what I've found so far:
Engine bay:
  • 8mm
  • 10mm
  • 13mm
  • 15mm
Suspension (within easy reach)
  • 16mm
  • 21mm
  • 25mm

Last edited:

traveller09

Reaction score
I am very interested in this post and appreciate your prelimenary work on this. I have been interested in building a car kit for a while. What size drive are you thinking of; 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2? Sorry I am not the most mechanically inclined.

DivingOtter

Reaction score
I would add to the kit 2 of each size bolt as spares and a few lock washers to go with. Been contemplating this myself...

I would add: zip ties (the long ones) and some stainless pipe clamps for securing really hot objects.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a cheapo kit I bought from Advance over a decade ago that has a 1/4" and 1/2" drive wrench (one on each side) along with 8-17mm and the corresponding SAE sockets in it. It's about 5" wide and 12" long so still pretty compact. It usually covers any bolt you would need other than the lug bolts, which you have a wrench for that with the jack.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd say have the less than 14mm sockets in both 3/8 and 1/4.
The 12mm-15mm in both 1/2 and 3/8.
Definitely have some swivels and extensions.
Don't forget Torx fasteners. Not sure what all Ram uses them on, but in the past other makers bed/tailgate and door strike fasteners were Torx.
Being a pipefitter, at one time, I always keep "Channellocks" in my tool box. Functions as a hose clamp remover, hammer, metal straightener/bender, bear repellant, and bottle opener.

Mjgain

Reaction score
Not sure what it's worth as I am going to contradict myself.

Coming from land rovers, I carry every tool needed to do every job. My tool roll and other items have transferred to the ram.

I carry 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 in sockets, extensions, swivels, torque wrenches, and breaker bars. I also have torx sockets, the reverse torx sockets for driveshaft bolts, adjustable wrenches, hose clamps, etc etc etc. I also carry electrical connectors and pin kits, extra wire and crimping tools. Finally, I carry a pass-through socket and ratchet kit for nuts with long bolts and some specialty tools.

All of that being said, a wise off roader / overlander once enlightened me that your tools are only as valuable as the spare parts that you carry. Why carry tools to affect repairs if you do not have the replacement part on hand?

My advice is to carry tools that allow you to affect quick fixes / innovative repairs on the trail. I think a few good items were listed in the posts above mine, but your load out should always be tailored to the terrain that you are planning to traverse.

R.Duff

Reaction score
I just keep a 10mm to 24mm socket set and a breaker bar and a ratchet in the bed in a box, along with a set of metric and imp Allen keys, assortment of screw drivers and a torque wrench, and a old wrench set, an assortment of pliers, have excess from being a millwright.

Also keep a arb tire repair kit and a roll of duct tape, 88 electrical tape and some ptfe, and a grease gun with some super lube for the control arms etc.

But if I'm going overlanding or camping or on a road trip I'll pack my impact gun and a few extra bits and bobs just incase. Also got a bike pump in the bed at all times.

Last edited:

whonut

Reaction score
I just keep a 10mm to 24mm socket set and a breaker bar and a ratchet in the bed in a box, along with a set of metric and imp Allen keys, assortment of screw drivers and a torque wrench, and a old wrench set, an assortment of pliers, have excess from being a millwright.

Also keep a arb tire repair kit and a roll of duct tape, 88 electrical tape and some ptfe, and a grease gun with some super lube for the control arms etc.

But if I'm going overlanding or camping or on a road trip I'll pack my impact gun and a few extra bits and bobs just incase. Also got a bike pump in the bed at all times.
This.

Would add a cheap dead blow hammer for the heck of it, along with some WD 40. Open to other ideas in case I am missing something. We are all here to learn.

lkjk

Reaction score
All of that being said, a wise off roader / overlander once enlightened me that your tools are only as valuable as the spare parts that you carry. Why carry tools to affect repairs if you do not have the replacement part on hand?
Agreed on this, and knowing how/what to fix. Coming from jeeps, most of them on the trail with big tool kits don't know how to fix anything anyway.

It's super easy to carry more than you need. I've had a ton of trail fixes using crap HF tools and not enough of them. Jeep space is at a premium so it makes you pick and choose.

Stick to the basics, you're probably not going to be getting into anything crazy enough (because it's a full size truck, nothing personal) that's going to require more than changing a flat tire anyway.

coolhandluchs

Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions. I completely forgot about a lava lamp.
I have a decent setup, still need to get some spare nuts and bolts, but the rest is more than enough for my pathetic repair skills.
There's a second little bag with paracord, rope, duct tape, electrical tape, ratchet straps, etc.
Also have a little box with spare fuses, which is likely the most important thing given the amount of electrical gadgetry in vehicles these days.

Attachments

• tool-kit.jpg
    tool-kit.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 46

Users who are viewing this thread