5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mine fell off - how does the heater wire connect to the rear window ?

yellowboy

Reaction score
Mu heater wire connector is off the rear window - does it just push on ? I tried but the two holes don't seem to want to snap over the bumps on the window connector.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Thanks but not what I'm looking for -I should have said how does it STAY connected - there is a black plastic connector that looks like it plugs in to two nipples that are on the window and the connector fell off the nipples and won't stay when I push it on .

gotmeahemi

Reaction score
Can you take a pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yellowboy

Reaction score
Here they are - was trying to avoid a trip to dealer , big song and dance - "you need to allow 3 hours , etc, etc, "...BS ....BS

Attachments

• truck wind 1.jpg
    truck wind 1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 171
  • truck wind 2.jpg
    truck wind 2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 166
  • truck wind 3.jpg
    truck wind 3.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 166

Sullyman

Reaction score
Noticed mine was off after driving the truck off the dealership’s lot right after purchasing it. Believe it was taken off when they put the window tint on the rear window and forgot to put it back on. I just lined up the two clip buttons and pushed it back on. I felt it clip back into place. I have opened and closed the sliding rear window numerous times. It hasn’t fallen off since then (about 1 month now). Unfortunately haven’t had a cold enough morning yet to test the rear window defrost. Waiting to see it it works. I believe it will. If not then off to the dealership service department it will go.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Mine goes over the nipples but with a loose fit so I guess I have to make a trip to the stealership

Sullyman

Reaction score
When I put mine back on it had some play in it. It did not go on tight. Similar to what you are explaining. I have a very earlier morning start at work tomorrow. It will be cold enough the rear window will fog over with dew and possibly frost. I’ll post if the rear window defroster works or does not work.

ac1dd

Reaction score
Mu heater wire connector is off the rear window - does it just push on ? I tried but the two holes don't seem to want to snap over the bumps on the window connector.

Notice the tangs inside the snap connector area? They are probably bent in too far and need to be GENTLY pushed back
OUT to line up flat with the black plastic fitting the idea is those tangs grab the fastener on the window.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Thanks, tried that, it looks like it was damaged at the factory, must have been put on late on Friday afternoon !

yellowboy

Reaction score
I didn't realize it appeared damaged until today. I was supposed to get an ARE cap installled today but put it off until next week - I was afraid if they had to do anything from the outside of the window they would not touch the cap, being aftermarket and heavy.

Sullyman

Reaction score
Cold weather arrived. Finally used rear window defrost yesterday. Center sliding section of rear window did not defrost. Gonna schedule repair with Ram service shop.

Sullyman

Reaction score
I hope it works for yours. Unfortunately just pushing it back on for mine did not work.

JustMe

Reaction score
Took mine in Wednesday - "tech said I just pushed it on" - I'm betting I'll be back in for it again.
Well, if what the tech said is the full truth and it does not hold . . . I would offer this . . . go to a reputable Auto Parts store YOU have some trust in the employees - ones that are knowledgable about adhesives (automotive) . 3M or Permatex probably good bets. I believe - but am not 100% sure - that what you want is an adhesive that is both a bit pliable AND Conductive (to carry the "eTrons" to the connectors and (obviously?) maintain the connection ! This appears to be a SIMPLE do it at home project - that's saying a lot even for me ! :) ;) Heck if you talk nice to the guy at the counter he may even do it for you, I've had that happen for me a few times -- the help that is, not the connector issue your having . Although I have had similar need of this type of auto adhesive in the past - yes it worked .

yellowboy

Reaction score
So far so good but have not used it much since the cooler weather, I'll play with it this week and see if it holds. Thanks

Reaction score
I know this thread is 2 months old, but I wanted to chime in on this.

I have had mine ripped off 2 times, I think this is a design flaw as I believe it catches on the baby seat strap.

So the first time it happened I took it to the dealer, they said they needed to order a rear window (yes replce the entire window weird right??). Anyone window come in we put off the install (at my request) as I was waiting for another warranty repair (radio issues yet to be resolved). Anyhow fast forward 90 days or whatever and the dealer sends the window back. They told me after 90 days warranty items not done need to be send back to FCA and then a new claim needs to be done. Even though I had been in constant contact with the dealer they assured me I could come when the time was more fitting, never was I told they had a 90 day cap on warranty items.

Anyhow, fast forward again I take it back to the dealer. New manager asked if I knew why they order a new window. I said I don’t know I just brought it in and they ordered a window. He tells me they just need to replace the wire, I said well that to me makes more sense then having a full window replaced. So they order the wire, I take the truck in for this and oil change. End of day they call me tell me it’s done but not the defrost wire because apparently FCA changed the way Length of the wire mid-year. So now they have to order the other wire that works with my year.

Now I‘m waiting again on the dealer for this new wire to be installed which involved removing the backseats to install. What a pain in the butt. Also, once this is done I think it will continue to happen because of the baby-seat strap on the way.

If this ends up being a design flaw, I wonder if anything will be done to correct this. I know I can simplify cut the strap or tuck it away as I don’t have any use for it. But someone down the line if I sell it might need it. Plus I shouldn’t have to modify something on my truck just to make something else work like it suppose to.

Just wanted to though in my 2cents.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, tried that, it looks like it was damaged at the factory, must have been put on late on Friday afternoon !
The connectors appear to be similar in function as button snaps on clothing. If you can't somehow tighten the terminals to get a better purchase on the window terminals, I'm afraid you'll have to replace the harness and connector.

Isn't this vehicle still in warranty?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031227 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread