5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Service Thread

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for your service and providing us with the freedom that we all enjoy. Much respect!
I have never served in the military myself, but our dog has and I’d like to show him some props.

Retired MWD Messi W459
Dual Purpose PEDD
Connecticut National Guard
Iraq Deployment
Many U.S. Secret Service Missions

Current Mission: Kong killer / Couch potato

View attachment 153443 View attachment 153444 View attachment 153445 View attachment 153446 View attachment 153447 View attachment 153448

View attachment 153449
That's awesome you adopted a prior service dog. Any reason his handler didnt keep him?

Mo381

Reaction score
USN RM2 SW
1984 to 1990
USS Impervious MSO 449
Mayport FL
USS Illusive MSO 448
Persian Gulf operation Earnest Will
3e053f777069021a9245ef8f4fe1d242.jpg

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's awesome you adopted a prior service dog. Any reason his handler didnt keep him?

From what we understand, one had retired and already adopted another dog he handled that does not get along with other dogs, and the other is still active service. We actually had a lengthy conversation with one of the trainer/handlers today. He told us a lot about Messi’s history (at least what he could) and told us he excelled at explosives scent and bite work. We found him the other day and sent him pics of Messi playing with our other dog and lounging around the house. He said he shared those pics with the other trainer/handlers that worked with Messi and they were really happy to see Messi having a good time and enjoying retirement. He said he was very surprised because Messi had a history of not getting along with other dogs, especially males. He is super smart. We do scent exercises with him using hidden containers of gunpowder. He really enjoys it and it keeps him busy.

We adopted him through Mission K-9 Rescue near Houston. It was a lengthy process, but well worth it. We are honored to provide a good life to a veteran.

Last edited:

lawmann8

Reaction score
I was in helicopter squadrons. We deployed on whatever ship they needed us on. So I got to spend some time on a lot of them. The USS Normandy and the USS Underwood were the best of the bunch by far. We were on the Normandy for Desert Storm and the Bosnian war. We were on the Underwood when 9/11 went down and we actually deployed that very day to New York city.

Here is the George Washington sitting off NYC. You can still see the smoke from the twin towers in the background.
dadTOqP.jpg
Beautiful shot brother. Can't get enough of the carriers!!!!

lawmann8

Reaction score
Thank you for your service and providing us with the freedom that we all enjoy. Much respect!
I have never served in the military myself, but our dog has and I’d like to show him some props.

Retired MWD Messi W459
Dual Purpose PEDD
Connecticut National Guard
Iraq Deployment
Many U.S. Secret Service Missions

Current Mission: Kong killer / Couch potato

View attachment 153443 View attachment 153444 View attachment 153445 View attachment 153446 View attachment 153447 View attachment 153448

View attachment 153449
Awesome pics brother...AHOOOH! Looks like you did some presidential protection as well. Beautiful Shepard!

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome pics brother...AHOOOH! Looks like you did some presidential protection as well. Beautiful Shepard!

Not me. MWD Messi (Belgian Malinois). We were told that he did some Presidential details. The pics are what the handler/trainer sent us yesterday of Messi while serving, except the last one. We were told that he did have a significant ”find” while protecting ”a” President. That was pretty cool to hear.

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you all for your service!

I had TWO customers last week who were active military (one San Antonio one in SC) that were unaware of the manufacturer's bonus for military service. There are some stipulations and has to be still applicable at time of delivery, but please tell your friends to mention/ask about it with whoever they're doing business with on a RAM or other CDJR vehicle!

Svt40

Reaction score
I was on her from '92 to '94. Mayport couldn't handle that much. There was a second carrier there when I arrived onboard but for the life of me I can't remember which one. I know the Forrestal had just left and it was soon to be decommissioned. Two years later is was the Saratoga's turn.

I got to Mayport in 1991. The Forrestal was there. I was in HSL-42 at the time. I know the Sara came a little bit later. We did a North Star in mid '91 on the Normandy in the USS AMerica battle group then went over to the Gulf for Desert Storm in December.

When the Kennedy came to replace the Sara both were in port together for about a year. It was a traffic nightmare. I know the two carriers had to stagger their work hours to not turn Mayport road into a parking lot.

We used call the Saratoga "the sinking Sara". But at least when it came time to deploy she always could. My last deployment we were in the Kennedy battle group and had to postpone workups several times because the Kennedy was unable to get underway. Eventually we did workups without the carrier. Then we did them again once she was finally able to get underway.

On Sept 11, 2001 we were supposed to go to Vieques to the missile range. But we all know what happened that morning. We ended up going straight to NYC since were fully combat armed. We actually loaded up four HELLFIRE missiles on our helo for the operations during that time (Noble Eagle). Four missiles was against the SOP because the lower two missiles would most likely get damaged during landing in rough seas.

The only other time we loaded four HELLFIRE was when we were protecting ships carrying Army units through the straits of Hormuz after the Iraqis threatened to sink anything passing through.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got to Mayport in 1991. The Forrestal was there. I was in HSL-42 at the time. I know the Sara came a little bit later. We did a North Star in mid '91 on the Normandy in the USS AMerica battle group then went over to the Gulf for Desert Storm in December.

When the Kennedy came to replace the Sara both were in port together for about a year. It was a traffic nightmare. I know the two carriers had to stagger their work hours to not turn Mayport road into a parking lot.

We used call the Saratoga "the sinking Sara". But at least when it came time to deploy she always could. My last deployment we were in the Kennedy battle group and had to postpone workups several times because the Kennedy was unable to get underway. Eventually we did workups without the carrier. Then we did them again once she was finally able to get underway.

On Sept 11, 2001 we were supposed to go to Vieques to the missile range. But we all know what happened that morning. We ended up going straight to NYC since were fully combat armed. We actually loaded up four HELLFIRE missiles on our helo for the operations during that time (Noble Eagle). Four missiles was against the SOP because the lower two missiles would most likely get damaged during landing in rough seas.

The only other time we loaded four HELLFIRE was when we were protecting ships carrying Army units through the straits of Hormuz after the Iraqis threatened to sink anything passing through.
FB_IMG_1677791003334.jpg

Klink

Reaction score
😂. So true brother. I had the opportunity in 1984 while serving at Ft Polk, LA to go TDY to an Air Base for 4 weeks conducting air load mission for my Army unit, and man, I tell you, it was amazing how comfortable and spacious the dorm rooms were and when you say eloquent dining, our minds were blown away! I never would have thought that a military dining hall would serve shrimp, crab and lobster every Friday. This doesn’t include the steak, fish and other delicious food that was served there daily. If I was younger, I would enlist just for the food🥹
US Air Force, 1984 to 2004. I did a tour as an Air Force recruiter and I would always take these 18 to 20 year olds to the nicest base around and show them the facilities. That was usually a pretty good hook to get them enlist. Most were glad they did.

I'm honored to have served with all of you on this thread.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
US Air Force, 1984 to 2004. I did a tour as an Air Force recruiter and I would always take these 18 to 20 year olds to the nicest base around and show them the facilities. That was usually a pretty good hook to get them enlist. Most were glad they did.

I'm honored to have served with all of you on this thread.
You actually had to try and bribe kids to enlist in Air force? When I was recruiting, the local Air Force recruiter worked maybe 2 days a week. And those days were just to do paperwork. We got several kids into the Nay because they came looking for Air Force and he wasnt there.

Klink

Reaction score
You actually had to try and bribe kids to enlist in Air force? When I was recruiting, the local Air Force recruiter worked maybe 2 days a week. And those days were just to do paperwork. We got several kids into the Nay because they came looking for Air Force and he wasnt there.
Timing is everything. I was a recruiter from 97 to 2000. 1999 was the only year the Air Force has ever missed its recruiting goal. It was absolutely brutal. In later years the situation you describe is entirely accurate. Those guys would work a couple days a week and then hit the golf course. I wasn't so lucky LOL. Also location is critical as a recruiter. My first year and a half I was stationed in Minneapolis which is a very tough recruiting environment for the military. The next two years I was in South Florida and it was a much better.

Users who are viewing this thread