5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miles per gallon tune

Ragsram1500

Reaction score
My 2019 1500 mpg is so terrible I don’t even know where to begin. It seems criminal. Now to get it out of the way, yes it is lifted 6 inches on 35’s. And yes I’m aware how the lift and type of bigger tires can change the mpg, I’m aware of all that. But to rewind to help explain my issues, my poor mpg was happening before my lift upgrades. They advertise around what, 20 highly maybe and 18 city? Yea… when my truck was stock everything I was getting if I was lucky average 15 highway and literally 13 city. Stock. And now with my lift, I get literally 10-13 highway around 60-70 mph and maybe 10 city. To total around a 13mpg average. now with my lift and tires aside, since the problem was still there before, now the numbers have just changed seemingly within the same difference, what is wrong with my truck? Is there some deeper issue that has caused my poor mpg. I run 87 gas and have looked into trying 89 but not sure if that’s even worth a test and if I’ll see any real improvement. Is there anything I can do such as a tune or even bring it to somwhere to really try and bring life back to this truck. Because to advertise 20 mpg highway and for me to be getting like 15 best(before my lift) it’s hard not to assume something is terribly wrong. Please any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. And I don’t want to hear it’s cause it’s lifted,

My 2019 1500 mpg is so terrible I don’t even know where to begin. It seems criminal. Now to get it out of the way, yes it is lifted 6 inches on 35’s. And yes I’m aware how the lift and type of bigger tires can change the mpg, I’m aware of all that. But to rewind to help explain my issues, my poor mpg was happening before my lift upgrades. They advertise around what, 20 highly maybe and 18 city? Yea… when my truck was stock everything I was getting if I was lucky average 15 highway and literally 13 city. Stock. And now with my lift, I get literally 10-13 highway around 60-70 mph and maybe 10 city. To total around a 13mpg average. now with my lift and tires aside, since the problem was still there before, now the numbers have just changed seemingly within the same difference, what is wrong with my truck? Is there some deeper issue that has caused my poor mpg. I run 87 gas and have looked into trying 89 but not sure if that’s even worth a test and if I’ll see any real improvement. Is there anything I can do such as a tune or even bring it to somwhere to really try and bring life back to this truck. Because to advertise 20 mpg highway and for me to be getting like 15 best(before my lift) it’s hard not to assume something is terribly wrong. Please any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. And I don’t want to hear it’s cause it’s lifted,
Plenty of threads on here about gas mileage. And yes, 89 could make difference. Maybe not enough to justify the extra expense. I get about 16 to 17 on 89 average. Your gear ratio and driving habits is big too. Use search and you find many, many threads on it.

Yea I’m in the same boat my mpgs were worse before I leveled and went to 35’s but I’ve done some maintenance in the past year and seen some mpg gains (spark plugs, air filter, and other misc things) I average 13… hwy I see 11-12 and city is 10 all day

Pretty sure that "advertised" mpg is not even a 5.7l 4x4. You are behind the curve to start.

My 2022 Bighorn Quad Cab 4x4 is 100% stock except for running boards and bed cover.

I get between 20-22 MPG with my 5.7 Hemi.

Yea I’m in the same boat my mpgs were worse before I leveled and went to 35’s but I’ve done some maintenance in the past year and seen some mpg gains (spark plugs, air filter, and other misc things) I average 13… hwy I see 11-12 and city is 10 all day
Has there been anything you’ve looked into to try and gain better mileage that you know of??

Best advertised is a base model truck with 3.21s. Add in 3.92s, 4x4, and all the other crap and it quickly goes down the drain.

Driving habits will have the biggest effect. Accelerate like you have an unstrapped piece of glass in the bed, time your coasts with hills, and keep it under 65mph. - I don't do any of this because I'd rather pay an extra $10 at fill up and drive how I want.

Reactions: DEG
Trust me I’ve developed very good drivng habits, I’m always easy in the throttle like a grandpa. I accelerate to my desired speed on highway so that I can let off and coast to save as much as I can. But doesn’t last long until I need to speed up again to get to highway speed and coast again. I think I wanna get it flashed at the dealer to maybe get rid of anything the owner may have done before me.

Changing your driving style will be the quickest best route to better mpg. Next will be the the lift and 35"s tires
What rpm is your trans shifting at?
I’m not too sure about that it would depend on how fast I’m going.

You haven't said anything about the rear end gearing in your truck or trim level. All those make a huge difference. Like it was said above, the base they use is the stripped down version 4x2 with 3.21 gears. Higher trims add weight. Anything that adds weight will cause it to go down as do higher gears.

And the previous owner can't modify the BCM like you think, so having the dealer flash it won't "fix anything they added".

You haven't said anything about the rear end gearing in your truck or trim level. All those make a huge difference. Like it was said above, the base they use is the stripped down version 4x2 with 3.21 gears. Higher trims add weight. Anything that adds weight will cause it to go down as do higher gears.

And the previous owner can't modify the BCM like you think, so having the dealer flash it won't "fix anything they added".
It’s a 2019 bighorn 4x4. In regards to gearing, that’s out of my wheel house I’m not sure

It’s a 2019 bighorn 4x4. In regards to gearing, that’s out of my wheel house I’m not sure
You can take you VIN and generate a build sheet. That will tell you. Search online for Mopar VIN build sheet.

I’m not too sure about that it would depend on how fast I’m going.
What i'm asking is how hard are you accelerating, what rpm is the trans shifting?
My trans is upshifting through most gears between 1800-2000 rpm and I'm getting 17 in the city, 17-18 in mixed driving that is mainly city. Accelerating so aggressively that the trans is upshifting at 2500-3000 rpm+ will drink gas

I don't think I've ever owned a vehicle that got the mileage listed in the EPA estimate.

My truck is rated at 17 city and 22 highway. About 80% of my driving is highway and I've never seen anywhere close to 22 mpg. Manually calculated, I've averaged 16.8 over the last 8000 miles. I get the best mileage with the cruse set around 60 on the highway, but I've still never come close to 22 mpg.

The best tune is removing the lead weight from your foot.

Be aware also that if you have put taller tires on the truck, have not had the computer updated to address that, and are using the truck's mileage indicator you are actually getting better mileage than the truck is telling you, because you're actually traveling further than the truck thinks you are. Same if you're manually calculating mileage and getting the miles traveled from the truck itself instead of a gps device.

Be aware also that if you have put taller tires on the truck, have not had the computer updated to address that, and are using the truck's mileage indicator you are actually getting better mileage than the truck is telling you, because you're actually traveling further than the truck thinks you are. Same if you're manually calculating mileage and getting the miles traveled from the truck itself instead of a gps device.

Absolutely. If he didn't reprogram the computer for the new tire size he could easily be getting 2 mpg better that what is being calculated. He's also likely driving about 5 mph faster than what the speedometer reads.

My 2022 Bighorn Quad Cab 4x4 is 100% stock except for running boards and bed cover.

I get between 20-22 MPG with my 5.7 Hemi.

Mine is a 21 Lonestar, 5.7 Etorque 4x4 & 3.21's stock size tires. I routinely get 19-21 in mixed and 21+ highway. The only extras are AMP running-boards ans line-x. I switched to Michelin defenders and am actually getting worse MPG than with the original Bridgestones....Those things would lose traction if someone spit on the pavement. Tire pressure is kept at 40 and I run 91 ethanol free gas. It's interesting to see a 700+ range ocassionally with my 33 gallon tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back