5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mileage Testing

DivingOtter

Reaction score
So I had the opportunity driving back from Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo to test my mileage at various speeds.... For those who've never had the 'thrill' of the area, it's mostly flat, straight 2 lane asphalt roads that literally meet the horizon in both directions. It was early on a Sunday morning so there was no one in sight...

At 55mph on cruise control the insta-mph read 19-23 depending on the gentle hills (about a 10 mile run)
at 65mph the insta-mph read 18-20 give or take on the same distance
At 75mph it dropped 14-17
at 85mph it dropped to 13-15

Since this is a Public forum, I will neither confirm nor deny that at speeds above 85 it only got a little worse....

Was a great way to spend an hour on the way home

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I had the opportunity driving back from Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo to test my mileage at various speeds.... For those who've never had the 'thrill' of the area, it's mostly flat, straight 2 lane asphalt roads that literally meet the horizon in both directions. It was early on a Sunday morning so there was no one in sight...

At 55mph on cruise control the insta-mph read 19-23 depending on the gentle hills (about a 10 mile run)
at 65mph the insta-mph read 18-20 give or take on the same distance
At 75mph it dropped 14-17
at 85mph it dropped to 13-15

Since this is a Public forum, I will neither confirm nor deny that at speeds above 85 it only got a little worse....

Was a great way to spend an hour on the way home
Ive averaged 19.5mpg cruising between 70-75 from Omaha, Nebraska to Topeka, KS. Stock wheels/tires and Pulsar on Performance.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My Rebel has tires that are limited to 106 MPH.
Sounds about right. You can go over it but risky especially for long periods of time due to heat build up ect.
My truck came with ones rated to 130 MPH, which is funny considering the limiter is like 106 from the factory lol.

Ive averaged 19.5mpg cruising between 70-75 from Omaha, Nebraska to Topeka, KS. Stock wheels/tires and Pulsar on Performance.
Is that all downhill?
I still can't get anywhere close to 19 MPH. I am lucky to get 17-17.5 MPG on the highway.

Ulster

Reaction score
Does a tonneau make a difference? I see a lot of differences in MPG, but no discussion on whether a tonneau was deployed. It feels to me like it would cut down drag significantly.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does a tonneau make a difference? I see a lot of differences in MPG, but no discussion on whether a tonneau was deployed. It feels to me like it would cut down drag significantly.
No. If anything it may hurt slightly. Modern trucks are designed in the wind tunnel and the low pressure that builds in the bed at speed actually causes smooth airflow over the bed

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No. If anything it may hurt slightly. Modern trucks are designed in the wind tunnel and the low pressure that builds in the bed at speed actually causes smooth airflow over the bed
I'm 99% sure a cover would not hurt and if anything do nothing (most likely) or increase mpg.

The longer the bed the more difference the cover is likely to make.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure a cover would not hurt and if anything do nothing (most likely) or increase mpg.

The longer the bed the more difference the cover is likely to make.
When myth busters did their testing, they actually got slightly worse fuel consumption with a tonneau over no tonneau

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your Rebel numbers are almost exactly mine. Cover didn't change anything for me. Having an exhaust cutout before the muffler reduces it by about 0.5-1 depending on how much noise I want to make. Guess it likes the back pressure.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When myth busters did their testing, they actually got slightly worse fuel consumption with a tonneau over no tonneau
That was with a completely empty bed to create the "air bubble" that circled in it. If you have anything in the bed that breaks that bubble it will lower it. I usually have lacrosse gear or something sitting back there.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That was with a completely empty bed to create the "air bubble" that circled in it. If you have anything in the bed that breaks that bubble it will lower it. I usually have lacrosse gear or something sitting back there.
That wasnt part of the question that was asked about them

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When asked you can say to ecomentalists that you drive a hybrid

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
First tank.....16.9. What exactly was the eTorque supposed to do?:unsure:
Make is so you don't use gas when completely stopped idling. Until you take your foot off the break and put it in park to rest your foot after being stopped for a while and it turns back on and starts drinking gas anyways.

Oh and also increase your drag while charging it's battery so you slow down faster while driving so you need to give the truck more gas to go the same distance since you can't coast as well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First tank.....16.9. What exactly was the eTorque supposed to do?:unsure:
Driving habits play more into dual mileage than any gimmick on your engine. I just drove 200 miles yesterday pulling a light duty trailer. 100 empty, the second 100 with a 300lb Cub Cadet strapped to it. according to my guage cluster I averaged 14.5mpg for the trip.

I have gotten as high as 19.5mpg, hand calculated, on a long road trip when I was stock suspension/tires with Pulsar set to Performance. And just a couple weeks ago I averaged just over 15mpg on a long road trip with 35x12.50 tires, a 3/1 lift and heavy off-road front bumper. That was doing between 70-75 most of the way. And I have 3.92 gears

Attachments

• PXL_20230609_005452949.jpg
    PXL_20230609_005452949.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 6

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Driving habits play more into dual mileage than any gimmick on your engine. I just drove 200 miles yesterday pulling a light duty trailer. 100 empty, the second 100 with a 300lb Cub Cadet strapped to it. according to my guage cluster I averaged 14.5mpg for the trip.
They kind of do.

I get 15-18 MPG highway with my 5.7 3.92s. Normally around 15.5-16 though
I was able to get 22-28 mpg highway on my 5.3 3.55s Silverado (with MDS disabled) normally around 22-24

Should the 40 HP difference really mean getting that worse MPG on a similarly equipped NA trucks?
Must be some kind of gimmicks going on imo.

eTorque is just a scam. Calling it a mild hybrid system is dumb, any car is a hybrid system since it runs with a 12V battery and an engine. Your truck can't move 1 foot on just battery alone.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They kind of do.

I get 15-18 MPG highway with my 5.7 3.92s. Normally around 15.5-16 though
I was able to get 22-28 mpg highway on my 5.3 3.55s Silverado (with MDS disabled) normally around 22-24

Should the 40 HP difference really mean getting that worse MPG on a similarly equipped NA trucks?
Must be some kind of gimmicks going on imo.

eTorque is just a scam. Calling it a mild hybrid system is dumb, any car is a hybrid system since it runs with a 12V battery and an engine. Your truck can't move 1 foot on just battery alone.
You can't compare two completely different trucks with different engines like it's apples to apples comparison. Dodge/Ram has never been praised for it's fuel mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread