5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mileage Difference Between E torque V8 vs V6 ?

yellowboy

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a 4WD Laramie or Laramie Longhorn and am wondering what engine to get. Anyone have any experience with the difference betwwen the 8 and 6 with e torque ?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Other than a huge power difference for the hemi, the 6 is rated at 2 more mpg

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally, I would suggest getting the 5.7 and not the V6. The V6 Pentastar is actually a very good engine; but I think a loaded out RAM is a little too much for it. I made the V-8/V-6 mistake many years ago when I bought a Dakota 4x4 V-6 over the V-8 to save a few dollars.....never again. I kept that truck for seven years, but I always regretted getting the V-6. Under perfect conditions that V-6 may get better gas mileage for you. But I think you will find that you need to work the V-6 harder than the V-8 truck; which will negate any mileage benefit. So, in reality you will be stuck with the same mileage but less capability and performance.

ram1500BH

Reaction score
right now in my V6 I'm getting 19MPG over around 700 miles. Based on what I've read here, best case scenario, in a V8 I'd be looking at 15MPG, so for me, it was a no brainer.

But I also do not haul anything, so that is a factor as well.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As the owner of a 4th gen v6 truck I can say a few things about my experience. This is for a 4x2 quad cab with the 3.55 rear gear.

You will get every penny of the v8 option upcharge back at trade in time. Trust me, I’m dealing with that now.

I average 19-20 mpg. Mostly around town and mostly short trips.

Highway mileage averages 25-26mpg.

If you go with the v6 I advise against the 3.21 rear gear. Just too much gear for the v6 and it’s lower torque.

Overall power/acceleration is adequate with the 3.55 although the transmission will shift around on hills.

Yes the v6 can tow. Check my signature for what I am towing. I have many posts on this forum regarding my towing impressions.

If I were buying a higher trim, 4x4, crew cab I’d be getting the v8. That’s a lot of weight for the v6 to be moving every day. Currently beginning the shopping process for my next truck and it will be a v8.

Not exactly what you were asking but hope this helps in your decision making.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I can't speak for the day to day driving and mpg differences, but I not terribly impressed with the mpg I'm getting with my v6. No towing for me and I only carry, at most, several hundred pounds of payload. It's relatively hilly terrain where I live, and I drive pretty conservatively; my driving mix is usually approximately 60% city, 40% highway

If I were to do it over again tomorrow, I'd get the v8.

jmoor126

Reaction score
The reason I chose the V6 is that I drive 34 miles each way to work, total of 64 a day minimum. I tow my boat on weekends which weighs around 5,000 with trailer and it does good, although I am sure the V8 would be better. When I tow my boat, last trip of around 300 miles, I averaged about 11MPG at highway speeds. I only had difficulty one time and the hill was extremely steep. Normal everyday driving I am getting around 20 mpg at 75-80mph. One further note, along with the $2500 savings from choosing the V6, I was able to negotiate a better deal total of around $5,000 difference between the two similar trucks.

silver billet

Reaction score
The reason I chose the V6 is that I drive 34 miles each way to work, total of 64 a day minimum. I tow my boat on weekends which weighs around 5,000 with trailer and it does good, although I am sure the V8 would be better. When I tow my boat, last trip of around 300 miles, I averaged about 11MPG at highway speeds. I only had difficulty one time and the hill was extremely steep. Normal everyday driving I am getting around 20 mpg at 75-80mph. One further note, along with the $2500 savings from choosing the V6, I was able to negotiate a better deal total of around $5,000 difference between the two similar trucks.

The discounts you mentioned are really nice; but it comes down to how much you're willing to stomach a weaker engine. Coming from an underpowered Jeep GC with the exact same v6 (though a 5 speed mercedes tranny), and even lighter weight, there is no amount of money that would make me feel happy with the v6.

Sometimes the choice is less about money and savings, and more about having something you're happy with. After all, I could drive a 3 year old truck and save $20,000+, but I put a value on satisfcation of being the first owner and knowing exactly what happened to my truck (in terms of use/abuse/maintenance etc).

But if you're happy with the performance of the v6, then you made the right choice!

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The discounts you mentioned are really nice; but it comes down to how much you're willing to stomach a weaker engine. Coming from an underpowered Jeep GC with the exact same v6 (though a 5 speed mercedes tranny), and even lighter weight, there is no amount of money that would make me feel happy with the v6.

Sometimes the choice is less about money and savings, and more about having something you're happy with. After all, I could drive a 3 year old truck and save $20,000+, but I put a value on satisfcation of being the first owner and knowing exactly what happened to my truck (in terms of use/abuse/maintenance etc).

But if you're happy with the performance of the v6, then you made the right choice!
We have a Town & Country with the same v6 and 6 speed transmission and it feels underpowered every time I get in it. The v6 in my Ram with the 8 speed is so much better. More hp/torque and 2 more gears make a big difference. In everyday driving it’s fine for my quad cab 4x2. Very happy with it in general.

It is underpowered for the 6400lb travel trailer I tow regularly but still gets the job done. If not for the travel trailer and the need of the crew cab and 4x4 this time around I would consider another v6.

silver billet

Reaction score
We have a Town & Country with the same v6 and 6 speed transmission and it feels underpowered every time I get in it. The v6 in my Ram with the 8 speed is so much better. More hp/torque and 2 more gears make a big difference. In everyday driving it’s fine for my quad cab 4x2. Very happy with it in general.

It is underpowered for the 6400lb travel trailer I tow regularly but still gets the job done. If not for the travel trailer and the need of the crew cab and 4x4 this time around I would consider another v6.

Agreed, the same Jeep with the 8 speed (so for Grand Cherookees', 2014 and newer) feels better than my Jeep (2011 - 2013). The biggest problem I have with the v6 though, is the torque curve. It doesn't really make strong torque until about 2700 RPM's. That's when it kicks in on my Jeep (can actually feel a slight surge everytime I hit that RPM, and then it's quite strong until near readline).

That means when you're towing (like I hope to do), that that engine has to rev up all the time, it really works hard. The hemi feels much stronger partly because the torque comes in earlier (I think).

There is the Niagara Escarpment where I live, and my Jeep has to rev up to 3000 RPM's to climb that escarpment at the speed I normally climb it. It sounds and feels like it's working hard, there is not much power left in the pedal unless you want to WOT the thing. I test drove the hemi in the 1500, and it didn't even down shift. Walked up the escarpment like it was strolling through city traffic, and that's when I said "I'm getting the hemi".

I think the v6 is the better engine than the hemi; it's a newer design, it's extremely well balanced and has excellent NVH characterisitcs. It won ward's 10 best engines several years (in a row). If I have music playing and I'm at a stop light, I can't tell my v6 is running, it's literally that smooth with never a shake or vibration being felt. That way, it's an excellent engine. I just feel though that it's better for car duty, but not suitable for a truck where you want torque to come on almost instantly. So even though the v6 may be a better engine compared to the hemi when you look at them side by side in isolation, for truck duty, I'll take the hemi just due to the power it puts out. And I'll put up with the tiny vibrations I felt in the hemi; the upside is that sounds awesome :)

That way I think GM did better, where they built a v6 (4.3) specifically for truck duty; you can't find that 4.3 in any other vehicle in GM other than the truck (and their old mini vans way back when). The Chrysler pentastar they dump in almost everything, but it's not well suited for heavy trucks.

Just my opinion of course, and no offence to those who are happy with their v6 trucks!

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Pencil out the $ difference at different annual mileage figures for a truck with a hemi vs a Pentstar and then decide. I know when I was looking at a full size passenger van vs a minivan, the difference based on 15K annual mileage was close to $1,000 in fuel costs annually, and that was at below $3 a gallon. That could be all your annual maintenance and things like new tires one year, new brakes another year.
However you'd better not try it in a heavy crew cab loaded down with options. Then you'll be disappointed with the performance and may burn as much or more fuel and really suffer at trade-in/sale. If you have a 4x2 quad short box Tradesman and have 3.55's, living in a flatter part of the country then ok.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My 2012 Wrangler with the V6 was great...until I was towing my boat uphill. I had to down shift and keep the RPMs up to around 6,000 RPM just to keep it up near the speed limit. It was good for just driving around; but really struggled when it was tasked. Agreed; no amount of money would make me happy with a V6 RAM 1500.

Users who are viewing this thread