5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michigan Window Tint

Mason1217

Reaction score
Getting the truck done Friday, I know the front 2 aren’t legal in Michigan but what’s everyone’s experience with what percentage tint most people can slide by with? Like how dark is an excuse FOR them to pull you over vs how dark is the secondary thing they ask you about?
Also, sort of off topic, but if you do all but windshield do you go darker on the front 2 to sort of “match” the back 3 since they have a little bit from factory or same all around?
Thanks

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cops in Wisconsin can not pull you over just for tint, they need to have a reason. If they feel and have the equipment they can test for tint. Every state is going to be different.

Some people do try to match all the windows (as will I).

Mason1217

Reaction score
Cops in Wisconsin can not pull you over just for tint, they need to have a reason. If they feel and have the equipment they can test for tint. Every state is going to be different.

Some people do try to match all the windows (as will I).
Yea, I think it’s the same here but you know what I mean, like if they think it’s too dark it makes them LOOK for a reason to pull you over vs getting pulled over legitimately and then adding, “oh, by the way, you windows can’t be tinted like this”

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they give you a ticket without a tint tester then you can fight it in court because they are guessing on what it is. Here your fronts can be 50%. I have had 20% and 35% on my vehicles and they haven't said a thing.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in NYS where pretty much everything is illegal. I factory matched the front and then tinted all of the back with the same tint...optical illusion to make the front not look so dark. I also did a full windshield at 50%...should have been doing every vehicle with that.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Agree that it's a secondary offense but speeding 5 miles over could be the "primary" thus allowing the officer to get the limo blacked out front windows too.

My son moved from AZ to NC and got his car registered in NC. He had to have an inspection. They made him remove the AZ dark front window tint.

Now mind you as I go on the roads and in my neighborhood I see NC plated cars and trucks with blacked out windows all around, some even with darker windshields. So there's obviously inspection stations that don't care and just will slide you by. Likely the same in Michigan.

Begin quoted portion of article:
Local DMV officials said there are about 400 licensed inspection stations across Buncombe County. Each one is required to post the safety inspection procedure, which states there can be a fee for checking after-factory window tint.

Though the information is posted, the fee still catches some drivers off guard, like Benjamin Austin who works at a local service station.
He recently moved to North Carolina from Florida, and his family's vehicles won't pass inspection here, though he said the tint is Florida-legal.
“All three have the darkest tint for Florida that we’ll have to take off and put on what’s legal up here. So, there’s definitely a charge that we weren’t expecting as part of our welcome to North Carolina,” Austin said.

Matt Hyder, used car manager at Harry's on the Hill, also finds himself pulling off window tint before selling certain cars on his pre-owned lot.
“I get that a lot – trade for a car out of Tennessee or South Carolina and I have to pull the window tint because it’s too dark,” Hyder said.

If you're pulled over for illegal window tint in North Carolina, troopers said that could result in a $50 fine plus court costs, which would run you a total of $238. There are some exemptions from North Carolina's tint law, which includes trucks and SUVs."

End quoted portion of article.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread