5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michigan Lemon Law Advice? - 9 wheel alignments

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Took mine in to the dealer 3 times and they failed to align it properly 3 times. I then took it to an independent alignment shop (pep boys of all places!) and they knocked it out spot on. I am in no way advocating for pep boys, that's just where I took it and the alignment guy at mine has a reputation for doing good work....so I gave him a try and it worked out.

I suggest this only because it might not be your truck at all. Could just be poor service.

I paid for it myself and didn't even bother trying to recoup the funds from FCA. One of those "pick your battles" type things. My alignment is good and it only cost me 100ish bucks. Not worth the hassle trying to get it recouped.

jmmurderedram

Reaction score
You have described the most common type of poor front end alignment issues and complaints.

When I started turning wrenches we had a clamp that attached to the steering wheel and over the brake pedal to hold the steering wheel in center and prevent it from turning while adjusting toe.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 030590 miles.
That's what I recall as well, but I don't know what is standard these days. Back then most vehicles had gear boxes and cross-over type steering. With that type of system there were 3-4 different spots that could be adjusted. You could move the steering wheel quite a bit if you wanted to and not run into issues with turning radius or tire scrub. Steering wheels were also easier to R&R as needed in the pre-airbag era.

I kinda suspect the difficulty and expense in dealing with the airbag is the reason for the run around in this case.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I remember having an issue with the steering wheel being off center on a new 1989 Chevrolet Scottsdale that I bought. I took it back to the dealer and after checking the alignment on the rack, the mechanic removed the center cap and nut on the steering wheel, called me over, and showed me that the stamped marks (1 on the shaft, the other on the wheel) were off one tooth; he removed the wheel, lined up the marks and reinstalled; the wheel was perfectly centered after that. Maybe that's the issue with the OP's.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
[QUOTE="jmmurderedram, post: 254841, members what I recall as well, but I don't know what is standard these days. Back then most vehicles had gear boxes and cross-over type steering. With that type of system there were 3-4 different spots that could be adjusted. You could move the steering wheel quite a bit if you wanted to and not run into issues with turning radius or tire scrub. Steering wheels were also easier to R&R as needed in the pre-airbag era.

I kinda suspect the difficulty and expense in dealing with the airbag is the reason for the run around in this case.
[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't be the air bag. That doesn't care what position the steering wheel is in. It would be the clock spring which needs to be in its center position when the front wheels are straight ahead.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 030616 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread