5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MFT Tailgate with both steps

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the MFT and both steps?
They gave me the bed step not the side step, so when the tailgate is down it's a bit*h to get in and out.
Want to know how it looks with BOTH the bed and side steps installed.

I'm debating changing out the damn bumper to get one with steps in it or something as even getting down with the bed step is a complete pain because of how far down the installed step is vs being inside the bed. Really bad design

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm not sure anyone has installed both. I was considering it, but they both mount to the same spot. So there is probably some modifaction needed if you want to mount them both. I'm sure it would look fine.

I decided it wasn't worth the effort because I just open the MFT if I want to get into the bed. I rarely ever even open the tailgate in the traditional way anymore.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have a local friend with a fully loaded Rebel that came from factory with both steps installed.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm not sure anyone has installed both. I was considering it, but they both mount to the same spot. So there is probably some modifaction needed if you want to mount them both. I'm sure it would look fine.

I decided it wasn't worth the effort because I just open the MFT if I want to get into the bed. I rarely ever even open the tailgate in the traditional way anymore.
The tech at the selling dealer claimed it could be installed and claimed it was a different connection. I take anything they say with a grain of salt

Have a local friend with a fully loaded Rebel that came from factory with both steps installed.
The way it should be.

Any chances of getting a picture of them both tucked away, and one of them both extended?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I have my doubts about this. Are you sure they weren't dealer installed? Pics would be nice.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just verified with him. He definitely has both. It was a custom order by the owner of dealership for his son. Had every option available at the time checked. By the time it got delivered, Ram had added a few new options, so they put the truck in the lot, and ordered a new one.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just verified with him. He definitely has both. It was a custom order by the owner of dealership for his son. Had every option available at the time checked. By the time it got delivered, Ram had added a few new options, so they put the truck in the lot, and ordered a new one.
I apologize for not being clear in what I was doubting LOL. I wasn't questioning whether he has both steps, just that they were factory installed. Are you saying the owner of the dealership was able to get the factory to custom build a truck for his son? That's a lot of pull. (y)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I apologize for not being clear in what I was doubting LOL. I wasn't questioning whether he has both steps, just that they were factory installed. Are you saying the owner of the dealership was able to get the factory to custom build a truck for his son? That's a lot of pull. (y)
Like I said, they just checked all the boxes for every available option at the time. Wasn't necessarily "custom" as in adding things not available through regular orders. But not many people check every box when ordering.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Like I said, they just checked all the boxes for every available option at the time. Wasn't necessarily "custom" as in adding things not available through regular orders. But not many people check every box when ordering.
I tried doing that when I was looking into ordering a truck at this time last year, and was told they couldn't select both steps. I'm the type of person who does try to check every box, but I could only have one step or the other. Not both. Which is why I replied to your post. Ordering options change, and it must have been an option when your friend's truck was ordered if that wasn't a custom build or dealer installed option.

I have the MFT so it has the rear step. I also have the corner step from my previous truck in a box in my garage. My plan has been to see if I could add the corner step, but other things have come up. I may still try it, but at this point I rarely ever open the tailgate in the traditional way. So I probably wouldn't ever use the corner step anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread