5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MFT or RamBox?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not only do the RamBoxes provide easy-to-access lockable storage space, but they don’t intrude on the load floor of the bed at all. In fact, the floor of a RamBox bed is ever-so-slightly wider than a standard box (between the wheel wells). The design of the RamBox bed ribs also enable a lot of flexibility in using a very strong factory divider at any point front-to-back. And don’t forget the 110V outlet at the back of the driver’s side box.

All of that said, the MFT is impressive, too. I have the deployable bed step, and it’s handy, but the MFT makes it possible to reach a lot of gear without stepping into the bed.

So maybe it comes down to how you use your truck, as others have said. Personally, I use the RamBoxes frequently for locking up gear that I don’t want in the cabin. I rarely drop the tailgate. But your use case may be different!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
We have both on our Limited. It's used more for commuting and Costco runs instead of hauling/towing. The rambox bed divider combined with the MFT make it perfect for this use. If I was really worried about payload I'd opt for neither to be honest. And probably would have bought a base QC Tradesman or Big Horn. If I had to decide between the two for payload reasons, I'd get the rambox. Just make sure you also get the BUG if you get the rambox, otherwise you won't get the divider. It used to be included with the rambox option but they changed that with the 5th gens.

Dawgsfan11

Reaction score
That is awesome! I checked his signature but it doesn't list if he has the short or long bed, but that picture looks like a short bed. How great is it to keep your clubs in there instead of the bed? My buddy and I usually had to fish them out from the back of the bed whenever we went to the course in his F150. He didn't have a cargo rack so they would slide all over the place. For the first time I am regretting getting the Rambox's, but only a little bit. ;)
Just to update you, I got my truck today. My golf club bag fits, but it’s a really tight fit. So tight that it’s a little tedious getting them in there, so may not be quite as convenient as I was hoping. I have a Taylormade Purelite bag, for reference. I’m sure there are lighter, more compact bags that would fit better.

Rambunktious

Reaction score
Just to update you, I got my truck today. My golf club bag fits, but it’s a really tight fit. So tight that it’s a little tedious getting them in there, so may not be quite as convenient as I was hoping. I have a Taylormade Purelite bag, for reference. I’m sure there are lighter, more compact bags that would fit better.
Even though it's a tight fit, it still fits. Congrats on getting your truck! Pics, when you get a chance. I am so jealous now! :)

PS. Need to update your signature! Proud Ram Owner!

Skater

Reaction score
MFT, partly because I have the split tail and love it and do not have RamBoxes because I don’t want them. And, partly because I would have lost the ability to carry some of the items I need to carry which are just narrow enough to fit between the wheel wells without RamBoxes, which would have been prohibited if I had them. Personal opinions espoused. ;)

Boston

Reaction score
If MFT didn’t weaken the bed, it wouldn’t need braces at the front to stop it flexing.

I’d rather have full width bed just for the dog crates.

borden72

Reaction score
I like the purpose of the rambox but check out this link. There seems to be some issues with 5th gen ramboxes with fitment over time. They have been known to warp.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like the purpose of the rambox but check out this link. There seems to be some issues with 5th gen ramboxes with fitment over time. They have been known to warp.

Some appear to have a more significant lid “warp” than others. This can happen over time, but it is just as likely to be visible from day 1. Some members have self-adjusted the boxes for alignment, but there’s no adjustment for a lid that is “lifting” at the edges.

That said, my RamBoxes look EXACTLY the same as when I took delivery of the truck (just shy of two years ago). And while they’re not perfect, they’re close enough that I’m the only one who has noticed...so I’ve not felt compelled to adjust them.

highgear2005

Reaction score
I don’t have either, the ram boxes are interesting! I’m old and a tailgate is a tailgate. If I’d have to choice I’d take the ram boxes. If I’m afraid of smashing my tailgate loading cargo, I’d just use my trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don’t have either, the ram boxes are interesting! I’m old and a tailgate is a tailgate. If I’d have to choice I’d take the ram boxes. If I’m afraid of smashing my tailgate loading cargo, I’d just use my trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hahaha...smashing your tailgate? The MFT makes it much easier to load and unload items to and from your truck bed. You don't have to lift things or try to slide them over the uneven surface of the tailgate. It has nothing to do with being afraid of smashing my tailgate.

And yes, the rambox is a great option.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Hahaha...smashing your tailgate? The MFT makes it much easier to load and unload items to and from your truck bed. You don't have to lift things or try to slide them over the uneven surface of the tailgate. It has nothing to do with being afraid of smashing my tailgate.

And yes, the rambox is a great option.

Agreed - try loading/unloading 800lbs of tile/concrete/etc. with and without the MFT. Your back will be happy with the $995 spent of the MFT

borden72

Reaction score
Some appear to have a more significant lid “warp” than others. This can happen over time, but it is just as likely to be visible from day 1. Some members have self-adjusted the boxes for alignment, but there’s no adjustment for a lid that is “lifting” at the edges.

That said, my RamBoxes look EXACTLY the same as when I took delivery of the truck (just shy of two years ago). And while they’re not perfect, they’re close enough that I’m the only one who has noticed...so I’ve not felt compelled to adjust them.
I'm not sure the percentage of cases that have warped. Just something to watch for. They seem really handy. More storage is never a bad thing.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I'll be upgrading to a HD in a year or two, but if I were to stay with a 1500, I'd definitely look at both. I've got Ramboxes on mine and have used them heavily over the almost 2 years I've had my truck.

My only concern would be payload, since I'd kit the next truck the same way, just swapping out the V6 for the EcoD and adding the MFT. My payload is only 1269# as-is, and I believe the added weight of the MFT and EcoD would push that down to well under 1000#.

I don't tow much or carry too many loads that are all that heavy (most of the stuff I carry in the bed when I load it up is bulky but fairly light, only ~500# fully loaded), but a guesstimated payload of ~850lbs would be a total no-go for me. Heck, even just on road trips to see the folks over the holidays, we currently carry around 800-900# counting passengers and cargo...

STR

Reaction score
I have a Rebel w/MFT only and really like it. The only negative is the limited availability of tonneau covers. There are a lot more options if you elect the Ram Box and MFT.

flyingpoint

Reaction score
A big thanks for everyone who making comments here. Most of them are very useful to me. Based on my needs I would go with #1 MFT only. #2 MFT +Rambox. #3 Rambox only. However, it is very annoying using the websites finding the truck which has MFT. I would need to look into the pictures to find out if it has it or not. Also it looks like nearly impossible to find the exact one which I wanted in CA. Billet Silver exterior, 33gal fuel tank, Advanced safety group, Limited or Longhorn, then MFT with or without Rambox... Just wondering anyone in CA has made purchase from out of state before? How doable it is purchaing from out of CA?

Last edited:

Ages

Reaction score
I'm not a big golfer, but I do try to get out at least once a month, and I never really considered the idea that my golf bag would fit in there, especially since I ordered the 5'7" bed. Once you get yours, would you mind posting a pic of your golf bag in there? That would be awesome if your bag fits in there, and might make me regret not getting the Rambox. :unsure:
This I have to see! :ROFLMAO:

purz

Reaction score
Just got my truck recently, ended up with ramboxes because the truck had everything else I wanted and was the best option from the dealership that would work with me the most. It's a lease and I'm glad I ended up with them since I'll know in 3 years if I'll want them or not. So far they've been pretty useful and the bed space is larger than you think. They make it look deceptively smaller imo. I've mostly used them for kayak gear and tiedown straps etc. so far. It's great for my kayak stuff, gives me a good place to put everything while our kayaks are in the bed. Don't have to put wet stuff in my cab and you can clean out the rambox pretty easily if needed. Going to try to fit my golf clubs in now after seeing this thread. I don't think they'll fit but maybe I'm underestimating the space lol.

I'd say they're probably most useful for outdoorsy people and for workers that want a tool box on the side instead of in the bed.

Dawgsfan11

Reaction score
Just got my truck recently, ended up with ramboxes because the truck had everything else I wanted and was the best option from the dealership that would work with me the most. It's a lease and I'm glad I ended up with them since I'll know in 3 years if I'll want them or not. So far they've been pretty useful and the bed space is larger than you think. They make it look deceptively smaller imo. I've mostly used them for kayak gear and tiedown straps etc. so far. It's great for my kayak stuff, gives me a good place to put everything while our kayaks are in the bed. Don't have to put wet stuff in my cab and you can clean out the rambox pretty easily if needed. Going to try to fit my golf clubs in now after seeing this thread. I don't think they'll fit but maybe I'm underestimating the space lol.

I'd say they're probably most useful for outdoorsy people and for workers that want a tool box on the side instead of in the bed.
Here’s a picture with my clubs in there. I’ve got a taylormade purelite bag. If you have a lightweight stand bag, it should fit, but it will be tight. I’ve got to squeeze my bag past the metal clip in the middle so it can close. I’ve got my shoes and some extra accessories in the space under the bag.

Attachments

• 6F508D72-5B98-4A2E-80A7-9A746C2D54E9.jpeg
    6F508D72-5B98-4A2E-80A7-9A746C2D54E9.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 42

Bluesurf

Reaction score
My RamBox was a must have. I wanted and got every option excluding the "tow stuff". I use the RamBox every day and everyone loves how it looks. It adds something unique, that few have. That being said its plastic and I didn't know that at the time. The older version was metal. I still happy with my RamBox.

borden72

Reaction score
A big thanks for everyone who making comments here. Most of them are very useful to me. Based on my needs I would go with #1 MFT only. #2 MFT +Rambox. #3 Rambox only. However, it is very annoying using the websites finding the truck which has MFT. I would need to look into the pictures to find out if it has it or not. Also it looks like nearly impossible to find the exact one which I wanted in CA. Billet Silver exterior, 33gal fuel tank, Advanced safety group, Limited or Longhorn, then MFT with or without Rambox... Just wondering anyone in CA has made purchase from out of state before? How doable it is purchaing from out of CA?
Do you have a good sales person at a dealer near you? I have a buddy at one here and if you configure a vehicle you want, they can generally do a locator to see if its out there and where. Just a thought. I don't have any info on transferring the vehicle yet.

Users who are viewing this thread