5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MFT or RamBox?

flyingpoint

Reaction score
Just want to get personal preference from the owners who might have one or both features. If you only can pick one, which one would you go with? I am kind of wish to have both of them, but also really want to have a bit more of the payload by deleting one. Mater of fact, it is very rare to see a truck has both of them the same time.

Rambunktious

Reaction score
I have not received my truck yet, but like you I prefer having the extra bed space versus the extra storage space on the side of the truck. I think the decision to get the RamBoxes hinges on whether you carry a lot of gear in your truck, such as hunting or outdoor gear that you don't want to carry in the backseat area. Hunters tend to get dirty/muddy, so having a storage place to keep things that are dirty or wet would probably come in really handy. Same thing for people who do a lot of outdoor activities. I don't really do those kinds of outdoor activities, but I have a wife who loves to go antiquing, so having extra space in the bed of the truck to carry furniture and large items is really useful. She also has a tendency to "loan" my truck to friends who are moving. :D

flyingpoint

Reaction score

EugeneYYZ

Reaction score
my choice ram boxes , i feel mft like flimsy , especially big side , thats why i quit from this idea .

Dawgsfan11

Reaction score
I’m still waiting on my truck to arrive, but I went with both. I’m a big golfer, so the rambox was a big selling point for me so I can keep my clubs in there. The MFT seems super practical and everyone that has one appears to love it. If I had to pick only one, I’d go rambox just because that was more important to me for golf club storage.

Rambunktious

Reaction score
I’m still waiting on my truck to arrive, but I went with both. I’m a big golfer, so the rambox was a big selling point for me so I can keep my clubs in there. The MFT seems super practical and everyone that has one appears to love it. If I had to pick only one, I’d go rambox just because that was more important to me for golf club storage.
I'm not a big golfer, but I do try to get out at least once a month, and I never really considered the idea that my golf bag would fit in there, especially since I ordered the 5'7" bed. Once you get yours, would you mind posting a pic of your golf bag in there? That would be awesome if your bag fits in there, and might make me regret not getting the Rambox. :unsure:

Dawgsfan11

Reaction score
I'm not a big golfer, but I do try to get out at least once a month, and I never really considered the idea that my golf bag would fit in there, especially since I ordered the 5'7" bed. Once you get yours, would you mind posting a pic of your golf bag in there? That would be awesome if your bag fits in there, and might make me regret not getting the Rambox. :unsure:
I saw a post on here with the clubs in there. I’ll see if I can track it down. If my clubs don’t fit, I’ll be pretty upset!

Dawgsfan11

Reaction score
Not mine obviously, but here’s an example:

Installed the most important accessories first... View attachment 10644

Rambunktious

Reaction score
Not mine obviously, but here’s an example:
That is awesome! I checked his signature but it doesn't list if he has the short or long bed, but that picture looks like a short bed. How great is it to keep your clubs in there instead of the bed? My buddy and I usually had to fish them out from the back of the bed whenever we went to the course in his F150. He didn't have a cargo rack so they would slide all over the place. For the first time I am regretting getting the Rambox's, but only a little bit. ;)

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had ramboxes on my Gen1 rebel, and on this one. I absolutely love em and don't want a truck without them! It was part of the draw for me to the Ram brand.
Idk if it's totally a 100% necessary thing for everyone or for all things truck?
But I passed on several trucks on the lot to have one built to my liking.

It's perfect to keep truckbox stuff in (tie downs, ratchet straps) and still have the full bedlength.
If you have shooting related outdoor hobbies, you can put the pew pews in one box, and the pews in the other.
If you use it as a cooler, it has drainplugs.
You can store an outdoor folding chair in there, and it won't flop around

I've not personally run into a "damn it's too wide for the bed" situation, thusfar

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is awesome! I checked his signature but it doesn't list if he has the short or long bed, but that picture looks like a short bed. How great is it to keep your clubs in there instead of the bed? My buddy and I usually had to fish them out from the back of the bed whenever we went to the course in his F150. He didn't have a cargo rack so they would slide all over the place. For the first time I am regretting getting the Rambox's, but only a little bit. ;)

I believe the Ramboxes only come on the shortbed. Could be wrong though. I'm gonna have to show that to my dad though. He'll go trade in his 2016 tomorrow if he knows he can put his clubs in the rambox :ROFLMAO:

For me I'm not sure. I've found myself wanting the mft recently. I love my Ramboxes though and a future truck would likely have both. My view on the rambox is that it just replaces a toolbox. If you're gonna have a toolbox on your truck then you may as well get the rambox. If you already have a toolbox you're partial to or don't wanna take the risk of rambox warpage then I could see skipping them.

Rambunktious

Reaction score
The other thing about the MFT is that it makes it easier to fish my clubs out from the back of the truck. :ROFLMAO:

Adrianp89

Reaction score
MFT all day. Not even a competition between the two. MFT is so much more useful. Ram Boxes take up space in the bed, that I often find useful to have. Not to mention it seems most are warped or do warp.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
MFT all day. Not even a competition between the two. MFT is so much more useful. Ram Boxes take up space in the bed, that I often find useful to have. Not to mention it seems most are warped or do warp.
Yeah, but the space in the bed they take is being gained by the ramboxes, so you just gotta choose which works for you.

I personally don’t have them since they were not available when I bought my truck in June 2018, but if I get another RAM, it will def have them.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, you guys are right. For DT Rams, Ramboxes are only available in short beds for the 1500s right now. It took them a couple years, after their initial introduction, to get them in the medium bed (6') in the 4th gen 1500s, so they may eventually be coming to 6' beds in the 5th gens as well if FCA sees money in it. FCA plays the odds, short beds are ordered more than medium or long beds in the 1/2 tons.

I played around with a MFT on a Ram at the dealer's lot. For what I do, the Ramboxes are way better for me.

Maconi

Reaction score
I'd go with the MFT and skip the RamBox. The RamBox lids warp (cosmetic issue), they eat into the truck bed space, and for short-term storage (something you're going to be taking back out the same day) they're on the side of the truck so why not just throw it in the back seat floor (fold up the back seats if necessary)? The main use for them would be long-term storage of stuff you don't want sliding around the bed or don't want to keep in the back of your truck. For me, I can fit all that kind of stuff in the Ram Bins and/or under the back seat.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
One thing to think about is RamBoxes and MFT limit your tonneau and rack options. I wanted a ladder rack for kayaks with a hard tonneau and those truck options would have required custom equipment. I would have loved the RamBoxes though.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't comment on MFT because I have never had a truck with it. With that said I have had plenty of trucks without ram boxes and my current ram does have the ram boxes. Yes you do sacrifice a sma amount of bed space in the front and back of wheel wells but most of the time it is useless space and is gained in the ram boxes. The ramboxes are super convenient storage and organization. Allows you quick access to your stuff compared to throwing it into the bed to slide all over the place. In addition they are lighted and has 115v inverter. Yes 5th gen ram box lids have had issue with warping but can be replaced under warranty, adjusted or in my case fixed with some rubber bumpers from Amazon. As far as MFT I hate the look of the Off center seam as well on the Rebel you loose the RAM lettering on the tailgate. MFT does make it easier for reaching in but I just keep my bed divider towards the back and problem solved for me.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread