5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MFT issue...

MrFritz

Reaction score
Hey all... New ram owner here and loving my new ride!

I am having one issue though. I have the multifunction tailgate and unless a SLAM the 40% side when closing the gate, I get a message saying it's open and the truck won't let me drop the gate conventionally.

I'm assuming a poorly adjusted sensor because when closing it with a normal amount of force it appears to latch properly and securely?

Have had the truck less than a week. Didn't think I'd be going back in this soon! Lol

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been discussed. I couldn't find it.

njt07

Reaction score
I’m running into the same issue. I figure as we use the tailgate more often the rubber stoppers will loosen up just a smidgen to allow the gate to sit a bit better. I do find myself closing the barn door style hard, then opening and slamming the tailgate.
the conventional way of opening wont work if the barn doors arent closed all the way.

Wsmith

Reaction score
There is a thread on here about this. Most people report that after some time it resolves itself. I have a standard gate and had the same issue. After the first couple of months the problem has gone away.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When I had that problem I opened the tailgate and slammed it shut then opened and slammed it shut repeating this about 10 times and I had no more issues with it and that was over a year ago .

MrFritz

Reaction score
So I have to say, this was one of my biggest concerns when looking at these newer highly optioned trucks. It's a truck, the tailgate should be the absolout last thing that doesn't function properly! LoL

Rexx

Reaction score
My truck did this when I first got it as well. After about 3-4 weeks it stopped. I think there was just a break in period with it.
I’ve had the truck about 10 months now and for the past 9 months the MFT has been perfectly fine.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Both of our trucks did this at first, and only one of them has the MFT. The problem went away on it's own after a couple weeks for both trucks.

MrFritz

Reaction score
Well, I'm glad I came here! All this sounds very reassuring!

Thanks!

I have to say, the ride in this thing is amazing. Have owned GM trucks for 25yrs. Decided it was time for a change.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine does this occasionally. ai was told that if I open up the left side only I need to push in at the top of teh right side before closing the left side....works sometimes.

Jofu

Reaction score
So I have to say, this was one of my biggest concerns when looking at these newer highly optioned trucks. It's a truck, the tailgate should be the absolout last thing that doesn't function properly! LoL
I do agree with this comment... There should not be a need for "breaking in" such basic functionality in any vehicle :(

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do agree with this comment... There should not be a need for "breaking in" such basic functionality in any vehicle :(
You're right, there shouldn't be a need for that. But it is what it is at this point. Complaining here isn't gonna to do any good. Take it up with the management :ROFLMAO:

It's not that the tailgates aren't functional, it's that the truck thinks it's not closed. Two very different things. If they hadn't added the tailgate ajar warning this wouldn't be an issue. I never had a warning on past trucks and somehow was able to get along with them just fine. Close the tailgate and give it a tug. If it wasn't fully latched you could tell and just close it again. I suspect they added the alarm after the recall on the 4th gens for the tailgates opening on their own. Which was more concerning in my experience (after losing a cooler full of beer when the tailgate on my girlfriend's 2016 Laramie opened on it's own).

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally I don't think there is any breaking-in of the tailgate, I think it is the operators who are "breaking-in". It's such a PITA to get in the truck only to find the tailgate open that we have learned what works and for the most part that "muscle memory" or maybe Pavlov's dog is making the problem less apparent. ;)

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I don't think there is any breaking-in of the tailgate, I think it is the operators who are "breaking-in". It's such a PITA to get in the truck only to find the tailgate open that we have learned what works and for the most part that "muscle memory" or maybe Pavlov's dog is making the problem less apparent. ;)
Undoubtedly true :D

MonctonR1

Reaction score
Stupid MFT tailgate keeps showing open even after slamming time and time again. Problem is now I cant drop the tailgate as it thinks it’s open. Where is the stupid sensor for these things? Missing out on a day of ATV‘ing due to this darn thing.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stupid MFT tailgate keeps showing open even after slamming time and time again. Problem is now I cant drop the tailgate as it thinks it’s open. Where is the stupid sensor for these things? Missing out on a day of ATV‘ing due to this darn thing.
Even if you only open the drivers side, open the smaller one and close it as the act of opening the drivers side door causes the sensor in the smaller door to show open. Sometimes just pushing on the top pf the smaller door when it's closed and then closing the larger one works as well. I have no idea where the sensors are other than in the doors somewhere.

jnwalker

Reaction score
I have had an ongoing issue with the MFT - Right side 40 % door - from the very beginning I had to slam it fairly hard to get it to close and prevent the Tailgate Open light to dissappear. Now suddenly the right door latch will not open at all - had it into dealer and they said Latch needed replaced -
quoted $354 + tax - they needed to order part - I looked up the part online, #68280336ai and the price is $48 - asked dealer if this was the part # and they said no, the part # is 68320032ai - I looked it up and this is the Left side Latch - price is $35 - tells me the dealer didn't even evaluate it correctly -
I am very mechanical and will try almost anything - does anyone have any issues with replacing this Latch?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have had an ongoing issue with the MFT - Right side 40 % door - from the very beginning I had to slam it fairly hard to get it to close and prevent the Tailgate Open light to dissappear. Now suddenly the right door latch will not open at all - had it into dealer and they said Latch needed replaced -
quoted $354 + tax - they needed to order part - I looked up the part online, #68280336ai and the price is $48 - asked dealer if this was the part # and they said no, the part # is 68320032ai - I looked it up and this is the Left side Latch - price is $35 - tells me the dealer didn't even evaluate it correctly -
I am very mechanical and will try almost anything - does anyone have any issues with replacing this Latch?
You shouldn't have any problem. I have taken these apart a decent amount because I was having problems with the 60% not hitting detents to stay open and the dealership didn't even know where to start so I ripped it apart learned how arms worked and added 6 washes to get or adjusted.

Users who are viewing this thread