5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MF off, Borla installed

mhb1638

Reaction score
So I've removed the magnaflow system in favor of the Borla touring system with chrome black tips.... Everything went smooth. Borla was actually sight easier to install over the MF with one less pipe to fiddle with. Aligning both systems is a pain. Haven't ridden around yet as I'm filthy from the install but the cold start is pure sex. Love the sound. I know it'll quiet down some and that's good. Guess I got a MF system to sell.

Attachments

• 20190131_134058.jpg
    20190131_134058.jpg
    893 KB · Views: 157
  • 20190131_134134.jpg
    20190131_134134.jpg
    931.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 20190131_144625.jpg
    20190131_144625.jpg
    847.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

grinch72

Reaction score
Hah. I dont recall mine being stamped Borla Touring. I was an early adopter. I wonder if that is new?? Also after 2000 miles, it hasn't toned down at all. Still sounds the same!

mhb1638

Reaction score
Driving impressions: Holy **** people...it's a different animal. Now, I knew in the beginning a smaller muffler would be louder but I didn't think it would be "this much" louder. For their quietest system, damn...its loud. Especially at start up...neighbors will not like that. Driving around their is some 'talk' in the cab with it, radio at about 15-17 and its gone. Cruising around when it settles at speed its very nice mellow tone, quiet indeed. I haven't done a WOT run yet but an aggressive accel will put a nice smile on anyone's face! Comparing to the MF...this is louder for sure, much different tone. The MF was mellow and deep. I hope this burns in some and quietens down just a little bit. So far though, all smiles.

mhb1638

Reaction score
^^^ I heard that... This is me for the last couple of weeks: :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Its definitely louder than the MF...not sure how anyone could do the S system or even the ATAK one...my God! But driving is fun. Although I feel i've tainted the truck some. Being a limited trim, it's suppose to have a finesse look and persona...now it has the look with a Huey slap yo momma sound that can't be forgotten! lol. I really think my neighbors wil be pissed tomorrow.
Btw, MDS isn't too bad. I haven't driven enough to tell yet. I did make the tips perfectly flush with the bumper, something I may adjust some (outward) later once it breaks in some. I drive 100 miles a day to work and back so this should break in quickly me thinks. Do like this black chrome though

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
I really think my neighbors will be pissed tomorrow.

I could see this being a concern, depending on how close houses are to each other AND pedal pressure as one drives in and out of the hood. Houses on our street are on 1/2 acre lots (or more) and set back from the street. In consideration of my neighbors in the morning, I crack the garage door a couple inches for ventilation, fire up the beast :devilish: and wait till it tachs down before opening the door to leave. It take er' easy coming & going and save the lead foot for the open road. FWIW and with all that in mind, I wouldn't recommend these exhausts for people who live in apartments, row houses, or houses with no garages and small lots (unless you don't give a :poop: about your neighbors).

mhb1638

Reaction score
So I have to ask....is there a resonator I can install pre-muffler? The Borla system (even touring) is just a tad loud for me. I have been debating going back to the stock reso/borla muffler only setup. Yes, lots of money wasted, but I love this Borla sound, sounds mean AF, but just a bit loud for me. Any thoughts?

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
So I have to ask....is there a resonator I can install pre-muffler? The Borla system (even touring) is just a tad loud for me. I have been debating going back to the stock reso/borla muffler only setup. Yes, lots of money wasted, but I love this Borla sound, sounds mean AF, but just a bit loud for me. Any thoughts?

You might reach out to Borla... There was some talk about resonators coming out in early 2019.

NDanecker

Reaction score
I have had the MF for a few days now and I have to say it is loud but not obnoxious and agree I don't see how someone would want the ATEK or some of the Flowmaster mufflers. WOW.

On cold remote starts you can clearly hear the truck over the TV. My neighbors are fairly close and I am sure they can hear it also.

Doesn't matter though - love the exhaust. My butt dyno tells me the truck runs much better on light acceleration around town. Seems to be more efficient even though I'd think a less restrictive exhaust would benefit in the higher RPM ranges. Either way I'm very happy. If you are on the fence of an exhaust just do it. You can always go back to stock if you don't like it.

Just something to think about.

daboyz1223

Reaction score
So I've removed the magnaflow system in favor of the Borla touring system with chrome black tips.... Everything went smooth. Borla was actually sight easier to install over the MF with one less pipe to fiddle with. Aligning both systems is a pain. Haven't ridden around yet as I'm filthy from the install but the cold start is pure sex. Love the sound. I know it'll quiet down some and that's good. Guess I got a MF system to sell.
Those tips :D:D:D.... I wish there was more black chrome available, they look awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread