5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal Clunking Noise caused by CV Axle

Tesla

Reaction score
Over the last year I have noticed a metal clunking type of noise from the front end at random times, primarily when it was silent in the cabin. Almost like the sound of drumsticks hitting each other. I had a few shops take a look at it but no one was able to diagnose it. I put the truck on my lift today to do an oil change, and noticed the front CV Axles were loose. After playing with them for a few seconds, I was able to replicate the noise that I hear.

I was curious, is this a common issue with the 5th gens?

jljbtm

Reaction score
My right is very loose and starting to vibrate at highway speeds, i ordered a CV shaft and intermediate shaft to replace them both.
The other side is not too bad yet

jljbtm

Reaction score
How many miles do you have? im about 80,000

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My right is very loose and starting to vibrate at highway speeds, i ordered a CV shaft and intermediate shaft to replace them both.
Is it vibrating all the time or just in 4wd?

Zacritz929

Reaction score
Did you get the new intermediate shaft installed? Do you have a link for the shaft?

art1C6Limited

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Longhorn Limited 4x4 and mine is doing the same thing with only 16K miles. I hear the noise primarily from the left front but I can wiggle both CV axles by hand although the left one (driver side) has a little more play. My 3-yr warranty just expired last month.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Longhorn Limited 4x4 and mine is doing the same thing with only 16K miles. I hear the noise primarily from the left front but I can wiggle both CV axles by hand although the left one (driver side) has a little more play. My 3-yr warranty just expired last month.
Axles are covered under powertrain.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Would that not be part of powertrain warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread