5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mediocre license plate mounts?

Fishwiz

Reaction score
Anyone else disappointed in the license plate mounts on the 1500?

From my previous truck, I had some nice license plate frames that were quite minimal in their appearance, and they slightly bent the opposite plate to put tension in it to eliminate and noisy vibrations.

On the front plate holder, there's really no way to use a frame due to its design, and in the back, even a low profile frame hits the tailgate when you open the tailgate painted surface (obviously that's not ok...).

License plate edges are ugly in my opinion and the quick and dirty way I fixed it was covering the edges with black electrical tape. For now it's ok, but I don't think it will last.

Am I the only one annoyed by this? What other solutions are out there?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I use this and it works fine. I had to use different screws because of the way ours mount. Our state does not require a front plate so I don't know about the front.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Yes the front of ours sucks, but I don’t think there’s much that can be done to fix that.

Fishwiz

Reaction score

I use this and it works fine. I had to use different screws because of the way ours mount. Our state does not require a front plate so I don't know about the front.
This doesn't look much different than the one I have, but I guess I could try it and return it if it doesn't work... The beauty of Amazon prime.

Thanks for the suggestion.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Helpful... Thanks

I'm serious. Do the police really enforce front plates in your area? If they do, my apologies and I withdraw my suggestion. Ohio just did away with front plates in July. Before that wonderful day it was required, but I never put one on. In almost 30 years of driving (including my car, wife's car, and 3 kids) I've been ticketed exactly once (and that was dropped).

vincentw56

Reaction score
I'm serious. Do the police really enforce front plates in your area? If they do, my apologies and I withdraw my suggestion. Ohio just did away with front plates in July. Before that wonderful day it was required, but I never put one on. In almost 30 years of driving (including my car, wife's car, and 3 kids) I've been ticketed exactly once (and that was dropped).
He wasn't just talking about the front mounts, he was also talking about the rear too.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He wasn't just talking about the front mounts, he was also talking about the rear too.
Sorry. Reading comprehension fail. I've got no suggestion there. I know the space is tight. I just left the dealership frame on it (free car washes) and it clears fine. Hope OP can find something that fits well back there. I don't like exposed plate edges either.

Big3MG

Reaction score
I replaced my cheap license plate screws with stainless bolts with washer on front and back. I used a locking but on the back side. For front plate, since I have a Rebel and it has a curved bumper, I had to get a couple of nylon spacers and used a bench grinder to remove material so it was angled to match the inside of the bumper. The bolted now hold firmly and I could tow the truck from the license plate.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I remember switching over to my permanent plates and the bolt holes were already stripped on all 4 bolts front and back!

I though what cheap license plate mounts! I watched my salesman attach my temp plates and he did so very gently with a little allen wrench, no way he stripped them. I had to use the zip tie technique of cutting a piece of zip tie and leaving it in the bolt hole so the bolt has something to grab to. It worked like a charm, tightens up real good.

As for the looks, I just bought a nice black metal frame bracket and attached a Hemi logo (got both on eBay) for the front. On the rear, I left on my dealership plate. In Cali, no one allows dealer decals on the body or windows, but we typically will fly our "dealership colors" on the rear license frame bracket. I got an amazing deal on my truck, so I feel I owe them at least that, for now.
License Plate Mount.jpg

Last edited:

taz2016

Reaction score
I don't run a front plate so I can't help you there. If all you are looking for is something to cover the edges search Amazon for silicone plate frame.

sd2134

Reaction score

Fishwiz

Reaction score
Not sure what the issue is in the rear.

View attachment 72077
When you open the tailgate (dropping it down in the traditional way), how much clearance to you have between the top of your plate frame and the tailgate... It's much less than you would think when looking at it from this angle.

I hope it's just the photo quality/dirt, but it appears there are a couple marks on your tailgate that could be coming from contact with the plate frame.

CPenn1086

Reaction score
The screw holes in the rear of my truck weren’t even lined up! Kept wondering why my license plate looked crooked...assumed the dealer didn’t tighten the plate properly.

I removed the plate to see the holes were drilled incorrectly. Does the factory do that? Or is the dealer is to blame? Regardless I drilled a new hole and all is well...

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you open the tailgate (dropping it down in the traditional way), how much clearance to you have between the top of your plate frame and the tailgate... It's much less than you would think when looking at it from this angle.

I hope it's just the photo quality/dirt, but it appears there are a couple marks on your tailgate that could be coming from contact with the plate frame.

Thanks for the comment. It is the photo, dirt and reflections, not the paint. When the tailgate is down it wasn't touching and I've even climbed on the tailgate a number of times so weight hasn't closed the gap.

But, since you've brought my attention to it, I didn't think that there was enough gap so I shaved down the bottom of the frame so that the frame is about the same height as the plastic it mounts to and with the tailgate fully down I now have 3/8"-7/16" of space between the frame and the panel with the gate down. Even in this new pic the reflection makes the edge of the gate look funny but it actually where the frame would have hit is a good 1/2" or more from the edge...so I'm good ;)

lp1.jpg

TheGoogleNinja

Reaction score
Yeah, I lost my front plate at some point last weekend. Probably on a bumpy dirt road. We went back and retraced steps but couldn't find it. Oh well.

kilcher

Reaction score
I have this one on my truck, really like the look of it, but yeah, not much you can do for the front...

Users who are viewing this thread