5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Media review of Harmon Kardon system

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
How come every single article , and I have read a ton, on the RAM truck all give accolades on the Harmon Kardon system. They all say it sounds amazing blah blah blah. Now I don't have the truck but based on the reviews from the members here it seems like it isn't as impressive as all the journalists make it out to be. Why the big disparity? Are they really listening to it?

Apologies in advance for my rant.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
It's really going to be a matter of personal taste in music and the sound profiles that go with it. I haven't listened to the HK system myself, but I assume quite a few of the people who have complaints are probably equating loudness to "sound quality" rather than fidelity and clarity.

Jimmyk

Reaction score
It's really going to be a matter of personal taste in music and the sound profiles that go with it. I haven't listened to the HK system myself, but I assume quite a few of the people who have complaints are probably equating loudness to "sound quality" rather than fidelity and clarity.
Couldn't agree more.

Dremin2flyhi

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more.
Also the imaging of the system --using my old IASCA test disc is very good.. once I get some down time I will drag out my old RTA and do some tone sweep testing for response.. wishing they would release the specs on the sensitivity of the speakers

Douglas31

Reaction score
I completely agree the sound is subjective to everyone’s personal taste and I don’t know what to say about it anymore. I am definitely not impressed with it regardless of loudness. The clarity in the highs is there but everything else is not. Even with the bass turned down to -3 it still seems distorted and not clean. People also talk about the sub rattling the panels and I can’t even here mine even if I turn the bass up. I have tried just about every setting I can to try and find an optimized sound. Seeing the other reviews makes me want to hear another truck with it in case something is wrong with mine. The sound in my 14 Sport was significantly better. But with the front end clunk and a severe vibration/shake at highway speeds it is on the lower end of my concerns.

Neocane

Reaction score
Is there a multi-band equalizer that allows you to customize the sound yourself, or just presets? If there are multi-bands, then how many?

Neocane

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply 202snowman. Was kinda hoping for more, but I’m sure it will do just fine. Back in the 80’s I had a few 10-band eq’s in my cars. Really miss that level of customization. I guess that’s a tech that didn’t really catch on. Shame.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the mid-range Alpine system, and it is subjectively much better than the high end Bang & Olufsen system in my wife's Audi. So was the Limited I test drove with the Harmon Kardon system. I thought it had a great low end. Compared to some of the cars I've driven (such as the loner car Jeep the dealer provided last week) and owned, including a Porsche Cayenne, and 996, and the 2012 Ram, the current sound systems are solid.

cjgerson

Reaction score
I have the HK system in my Limited and it sounds amazing. Its way better than the Alpine system I had in my 2014 Longhorn.
Agree. Clarity is much improved over my alpine system. It’s really not even comparable.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I wonder if everyone is testing it with a CD? We all know using a streaming service on bluetooth is a horrible gauge of the sound system. For me payload is important so I am trying to think of ways to shave off some lbs here and there. If the HK system is not worth it, I rather not carry that extra 40-50lbs or so over the stock stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread