5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mechanic Told Me Camber Isn’t Adjustable???

TruckClub

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

I recently installed Rough Country 2” Leveling Struts and 295/60 Wildpeaks on my factory 20” wheels. I had an alignment done yesterday and was concerned that my camber was out of spec on both sides. I called today and my mechanic told me that Camber can’t be adjusted on these trucks. From what I found online that seems false. I’ve attached my alignment sheet as well as the position of the lower control arm washers. Is this possibly a case of not being able to make further adjustments due to my tire size? I’d like to be a little more educated before I call him back and have been coming up short on info online.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2422.jpeg
    IMG_2422.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2425.jpeg
    IMG_2425.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2424.jpeg
    IMG_2424.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2426.jpeg
    IMG_2426.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2423.jpeg
    IMG_2423.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2421.jpeg
    IMG_2421.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 56

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks!

I recently installed Rough Country 2” Leveling Struts and 295/60 Wildpeaks on my factory 20” wheels. I had an alignment done yesterday and was concerned that my camber was out of spec on both sides. I called today and my mechanic told me that Camber can’t be adjusted on these trucks. From what I found online that seems false. I’ve attached my alignment sheet as well as the position of the lower control arm washers. Is this possibly a case of not being able to make further adjustments due to my tire size? I’d like to be a little more educated before I call him back and have been coming up short on info online.

Thanks!
Is he saying there's a physical constraint, or that the computer tells him there's no adjustment? The paperwork you showed has the VIN of a DT truck, but then it says that the vehicle is a Ram 2019 1500 Pickup (DS) 4WD. The "DS" is the designation for the 4th Gen "Classic" Ram trucks. I'm wondering if he has the right configuration pulled up. Disclaimer, I don't know if it makes a difference.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the camber adjustment:

1698265323722.png

TruckClub

Reaction score
Is he saying there's a physical constraint, or that the computer tells him there's no adjustment? The paperwork you showed has the VIN of a DT truck, but then it says that the vehicle is a Ram 2019 1500 Pickup (DS) 4WD. The "DS" is the designation for the 4th Gen "Classic" Ram trucks. I'm wondering if he has the right configuration pulled up. Disclaimer, I don't know if it makes a difference.
He wasn’t overtly saying there was a physical constraint. I sent the above pics to my mechanic friend a little bit ago and he confirmed there is still adjustment left. I called the shop back and told him that the camber is adjustable and he said he guess he didn’t know off the tip of his head… Basically he tried to give me the run around when I asked him the first time. He’s taking it back in on Friday to correct the camber.

Regarding the DS vs DT alignment parameters, I asked him the same thing. He said its the same parameters. I guess I should be questioning that now too. I researched it yesterday and couldn’t find the specs of each. I may email the alignment machine mfg and see if he’s correct.

Last edited:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He wasn’t overtly saying there was a physical constraint. I sent the above pics to my mechanic friend a little bit ago and he confirmed there is still adjustment left. I called the shop back and told him that the camber is adjustable and he said he guess he didn’t know off the tip of his head… Basically he tried to give me the run around when I asked him the first time. He’s taking it back in on Friday to correct the camber.

Regarding the DS vs DT alignment parameters, I asked him the same thing. He said its the same parameters. I guess I should be questioning that now too. I researches it yesterday and couldn’t find the specs of each. I may email the alignment machine mfg and see if he’s correct.
It’s been a few years, but I seem to recall reading that the early adopters of the DT (5th Gen) trucks were having problems with getting alignments. The specs weren’t published on a timely basis, and shops had to pay for the new data set when it finally came out. Somebody back me up here - am I remembering this correctly?
If my memory is correct, I wonder if this shop even has the correct values for the DT, or if they’re using the DS specs because they don’t have the DT specs.

Ratchet

Reaction score
As others have stated, front camber and caster is adjustable. Most shops just adjust the front toe and send it out the door. There are occasions where you may not have enough camber or caster adjustment via OEM eccentrics, but it's not overly common. My truck was an exception. It's had a few fender benders before I took ownership. I had to offset my front caster just a touch to get rid of a pull so caster on one side will show out of spec. So far 60K on the tires and they're wearing perfect. With suspension mods, sometimes you'll have to sacrifice a little camber or caster. Back when I was in automotive, I can't remember how many alignments I corrected for other shops, but it was substantial.

TruckClub

Reaction score
As others have stated, front camber and caster is adjustable. Most shops just adjust the front toe and send it out the door. There are occasions where you may not have enough camber or caster adjustment via OEM eccentrics, but it's not overly common. My truck was an exception. It's had a few fender benders before I took ownership. I had to offset my front caster just a touch to get rid of a pull so caster on one side will show out of spec. So far 60K on the tires and they're wearing perfect. With suspension mods, sometimes you'll have to sacrifice a little camber or caster. Back when I was in automotive, I can't remember how many alignments I corrected for other shops, but it was substantial.

I was originally considering it could have been limitations in my truck but after I called back it was clear he hadn’t thought through his response. The wear on my tires is one of my biggest concerns. I did the chalk test after the alignment and it looked like the chalk was heavier on the left side of both front tires which would coincide with the camber on the printout. It could have also been in my head!

TruckClub

Reaction score
It’s been a few years, but I seem to recall reading that the early adopters of the DT (5th Gen) trucks were having problems with getting alignments. The specs weren’t published on a timely basis, and shops had to pay for the new data set when it finally came out. Somebody back me up here - am I remembering this correctly?
If my memory is correct, I wonder if this shop even has the correct values for the DT, or if they’re using the DS specs because they don’t have the DT specs.
Interesting. I sent a message to the mfg JohnBean to see if their specs for that year are the same. Hopefully I hear back before Friday…

TruckClub

Reaction score
I heard back from the vendor and it turns out the specs are pretty different between the DT and DS model. I sent a follow up to confirm that air suspension normal is the same as having no air suspension. With this new info it looks like my caster is way out of whack. I’ll be bringing these specs with me. Sharing all the specs they sent me in case they’re useful for anyone else.

I’ll let you know how everything goes after my visit.

Attachments

• IMG_2429.png
    IMG_2429.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2427.png
    IMG_2427.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2428.png
    IMG_2428.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 28

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I heard back from the vendor and it turns out the specs are pretty different between the DT and DS model. I sent a follow up to confirm that air suspension normal is the same as having no air suspension. With this new info it looks like my caster is way out of whack. I’ll be bringing these specs with me. Sharing all the specs they sent me in case they’re useful for anyone else.

I’ll let you know how everything goes after my visit.
To be honest, it sounds like you need to take your truck somewhere else - the place you’re using doesn’t sound super competent.

TruckClub

Reaction score
To be honest, it sounds like you need to take your truck somewhere else - the place you’re using doesn’t sound super competent.
I might agree at this point. It changed owners a few years ago and this is the 2nd issue Ive had. I really only use them for inspections and alignments since I do most maintenance on my own but it could be time to move on... after they fix what I’ve already paid for .

Update:
The shop has done well by standing by their warranty and making the adjustments correct. I understand why there was an issue and will continue to give them my business .

Last edited:

TruckClub

Reaction score
One last piece of info to share.

I noticed that Rough Country has alignment specs noted in their installation guide for their 2” spacer leveling kits. I reached out to their customer service and asked if these should be used for their leveling struts as well. Their response was to set the alignment per factory specs.

I also heard back from JohnBean aka SnapOn and they confirmed their machines use the “air suspension set to normal” for Rams without air suspension.

TruckClub

Reaction score
Back at the shop today and the crew is really helpful. Apparently when they scan the barcode in the door jamb it’s coming up as a DS and air suspension 🤔. I don’t have air suspension. I now understand why they set it to those specs and maybe why Snap On sent specs for a truck with air suspension. Anyway, hoping to be back on the road soon.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Back at the shop today and the crew is really helpful. Apparently when they scan the barcode in the door jamb it’s coming up as a DS and air suspension 🤔. I don’t have air suspension. I now understand why they set it to those specs and maybe why Snap On sent specs for a truck with air suspension. Anyway, hoping to be back on the road soon.
So they aren't paying for up to date information, since pre-2029. Nice.

TruckClub

Reaction score
I don’t think so. They got the alignment perfect yesterday and the DT settings were in their equipment. For some reason the barcode is being read on my truck as a DS model with air suspension though. Sounds more like a glitch in Snap On’s decoding software or a bad barcode.
07efdaee167841afd9083e77dffe8f28.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread