5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MDS question

rking300

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been beat to death, so I apologize.
Other than sound with new exhaust (which doesn't concern me much).
What's the benefit of turning the MDS off? How's it changes MPG? etc. etc.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It helps a bit, but not life changing by any means.

When you’re cruising at 35 to 50 mph you’ll see instant MPG around 30. Also saves fuel when slowing down, or coming down a hill.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I use the paddle shift to do that. Then make sure its back to “8”. Costs appx 1.5 mpg on my drives.

Theres several YT vids that claim the hemi block has oiling issues with it off.

I’m sure you will get about as much agreement/disagreement on it’s benefits as when we discuss, uhh, oils.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
How do you turn the MDS off?
You can temporarily disable it by setting the manual gear selector to 8, or using tow haul mode.

Permanent disable required changing the camshaft and lifters, (and a custom tune i suppose.) Don't think many go this route.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been beat to death, so I apologize.
Other than sound with new exhaust (which doesn't concern me much).
What's the benefit of turning the MDS off? How's it changes MPG? etc. etc.
There's a lot of opinions on this and not much actual data to back those up. Some claim to save fuel when leaving it enabled, while others claim it makes no difference. I would ignore any YT videos out there with oiling issue claims, as there is again no actual data to support those claims. Just opinions. If it doesn't bother you to leave it on, then by all means leave it on. If you don't like the idea of your v8 engine running on 4 cylinders then by all means disable it. In my experience it doesn't benefit or hurt the engine either way. I've always disabled MDS on my trucks, but the wife lets it do its thing on hers. Neither of us has experienced engine issues. It would be interesting to see actual data either way, but at this point I don't see that happening now that the Hemi is history.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The pulsar makes short work of permanently "disabling" MDS, though it's probably too pricey if that's the only reason you want it.

I refuse to use MDS because I suspect that its harder on the engine while engaged, half the engine starts lugging and I never saw any real increase in MPG anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread