5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MDS Gear+/-

Hemiguy226

Reaction score
The extra 1-2 mpg isn’t worth it to me. I say give me the option to permanently deactivate it and I’d be happy. I had this go bad on my last truck (GMC) and the entire top of the engine and all emissions to include the cat converters had to be replaced. Thank God for warranty, when it all done the bill was around $4k.
Mds would need the lifters replaced

truckerman48

Reaction score
Ok so I have a 2018 2500 HD with the 6.4 Hemi and this morning the gear -/+ showed on the cluster and is showing in the 4th. It will not when pushing the +button go up it stays in the 4th. It has always just showed in drive and shifted fine automatically. How do I get it to do that. Thanks.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so I have a 2018 2500 HD with the 6.4 Hemi and this morning the gear -/+ showed on the cluster and is showing in the 4th. It will not when pushing the +button go up it stays in the 4th. It has always just showed in drive and shifted fine automatically. How do I get it to do that. Thanks.
You'd probably have better luck in the HDRams forum. This forum is for the 2019+ 5th Gen 1500s

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
the +/- buttons aren't gear shifters. they are gear LIMITERS.

True, though they can act like them depending on your current speed and throttle. If cruising in 8th gear, when you limit down say to 3rd gear, it shifts similar to paddles going down to 3rd.

If you are huffing it in 3rd gear and limit up to 7th, it will shift up similar to paddles to the highest gear it feels it can go without lugging.

Honestly, they way it interfaces, isn't that far off paddle shifters, the main difference is unlike shifters, you can preset a certain gear (visually) to limit where it goes up to. The other is if cruising in a low gear, you need to limit several gears to get to the point it will activate, so if in 3rd, you need to scroll down from 8th down to 2nd.

I think I will do the TRX steering wheel conversion and have those paddles control the gear limit, won't be too different than having the native paddle shifters like the TRX or GT.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
True, though they can act like them depending on your current speed and throttle. If cruising in 8th gear, when you limit down say to 3rd gear, it shifts similar to paddles going down to 3rd.

If you are huffing it in 3rd gear and limit up to 7th, it will shift up similar to paddles to the highest gear it feels it can go without lugging.

Honestly, they way it interfaces, isn't that far off paddle shifters, the main difference is unlike shifters, you can preset a certain gear (visually) to limit where it goes up to. The other is if cruising in a low gear, you need to limit several gears to get to the point it will activate, so if in 3rd, you need to scroll down from 8th down to 2nd.

I think I will do the TRX steering wheel conversion and have those paddles control the gear limit, won't be too different than having the native paddle shifters like the TRX or GT.
Being able to manually shift vs gear limit is big diff. Ever had your truck shift unexpectedly while you were driving on ice?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Being able to manually shift vs gear limit is big diff. Ever had your truck shift unexpectedly while you were driving on ice?

No, never had that happen, but not sure what you can manually do that the limit doesn't?

If you are within the rpm range, the limiter will shift immediately just as a paddle would up or down. A "manual" shift on a paddle won't let you shift up or down if not in the right rpm range as well.

What scenario would you be in that you can change gear on a manual shift paddle or lever that the limit won't do the same thing exactly as you want? Neither will shift down if too high an rpm or shift up with too low rpm, if within range, they both shift immediately.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, never had that happen, but not sure what you can manually do that the limit doesn't?

If you are within the rpm range, the limiter will shift immediately just as a paddle would up or down. A "manual" shift on a paddle won't let you shift up or down if not in the right rpm range as well.

What scenario would you be in that you can change gear on a manual shift paddle or lever that the limit won't do the same thing exactly as you want? Neither will shift down if too high an rpm or shift up with too low rpm, if within range, they both shift immediately.
Completely different trans tuning between the gear limit switches and paddle shifters. If you are using gear limit switches, it does not "immediately" shift to next higher hear by bumping it up. There is a delay that will cause you to hit rev limiter if you wait too long. Also you can manually shift up to a higher gear with paddle shifters well before the transmission will shift by just bumping up gear limiter.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

If I am going uphill on snow\ice at highish rpms the gear limit will allow it to downshift if I take my foot off the gas even for a split second and can cause slippage.
The real paddle shifters\manually shifting allows you to stay in any gear and not have it change and cause loss of traction at an unexpected moment.
Also the gear limiter will not force an upshift if you just increase it, it thinks about it. Same with downshifting. I can go down to 1k RPMs while in gear before the paddles complain, can't do that on a gear limiter (not that would would NEED to)
Completely different trans tuning between the gear limit switches and paddle shifters. If you are using gear limit switches, it does not "immediately" shift to next higher hear by bumping it up. There is a delay that will cause you to hit rev limiter if you wait too long. Also you can manually shift up to a higher gear with paddle shifters well before the transmission will shift by just bumping up gear limiter.
There is a delay with the paddle shifters too, but you only notice on WOT as I need to engage the paddle around 500 RPMs BEFORE i want the shift to happen. I have hit the rev limiter several times. This is on GT firmware, not sure if TRX is the same. The gear limiter is WAY more of a delay and not a 100% sure shot either, it thinks it's knows better than you. For some tasks it is okay.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If I am going uphill on snow\ice at highish rpms the gear limit will allow it to downshift if I take my foot off the gas even for a split second and can cause slippage.
The real paddle shifters\manually shifting allows you to stay in any gear and not have it change and cause loss of traction at an unexpected moment.
Also the gear limiter will not force an upshift if you just increase it, it thinks about it. Same with downshifting. I can go down to 1k RPMs while in gear before the paddles complain, can't do that on a gear limiter (not that would would NEED to)

There is a delay with the paddle shifters too, but you only notice on WOT as I need to engage the paddle around 500 RPMs BEFORE i want the shift to happen. I have hit the rev limiter several times. This is on GT firmware, not sure if TRX is the same. The gear limiter is WAY more of a delay and not a 100% sure shot either, it thinks it's knows better than you. For some tasks it is okay.
Yeah, I tried using gear limiter at the track to get a few hundred more RPMs before shift. It doesn't work. You just can't time it a shift with gear limit switches. At least with paddles you can anticipate the slight delay. And if it anything like the old NAG1, you can get a tune to make the shift instant

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah, I tried using gear limiter at the track to get a few hundred more RPMs before shift. It doesn't work. You just can't time it a shift with gear limit switches. At least with paddles you can anticipate the slight delay. And if it anything like the old NAG1, you can get a tune to make the shift instant
I am still waiting to get the truck re-tuned with the paddles, as it stands now it's pretty bad.
I know another person allied Jeep (for a 392) firmware on their Ram and the shifts were better, they don't have eTorque (not that it matters).

But yes you can kind of get used to the paddles when you send the command, and only on WOT. Anything besides WOT and they shift pretty normal, but not as fast as say my old 2012 Camaro's paddles.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am still waiting to get the truck re-tuned with the paddles, as it stands now it's pretty bad.
I know another person allied Jeep (for a 392) firmware on their Ram and the shifts were better, they don't have eTorque (not that it matters).

But yes you can kind of get used to the paddles when you send the command, and only on WOT. Anything besides WOT and they shift pretty normal, but not as fast as say my old 2012 Camaro's paddles.
That's the torque management causing the delay. It's supposed to help prevent damage to trans. Usually ends up causing early failure because it's slipping the clutches to make shifts softer

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Gotcha, makes sense, not as immediate as a paddle. Still shifts, but you're right, definitely more delay.

Users who are viewing this thread