5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MDS confusion

BigDave

Reaction score
I have a 2023 Tradesman 2500 with the 6.4 hemi, and I am pretty sure I've never heard/felt the MDS come on. I'm also pretty sure I would have, judging by the sound I"ve heard on videos with that subject.

I am ALSO sure I"ve read that every 2023 truck with hemi DOES have the MDS.
I don't want to have to remove a lot of parts to see the solenoids... so is there a simple way to know I have it, or dont?

Thanks and apologies for going over the same boring stuff.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2023 Tradesman 2500 with the 6.4 hemi, and I am pretty sure I've never heard/felt the MDS come on. I'm also pretty sure I would have, judging by the sound I"ve heard on videos with that subject.

I don't want to have to remove a lot of parts to see the solenoids... so is there a simple way to know I have it, or dont?

You might have better luck on the HD Rams Forum, Homepage - HD Rams, since this is for the 5th gen Ram 1500s. But on the 1500s there's a setting in Uconnect called eco mode. And when you turn that setting on it just shows a little icon on the EVIC when MDS is on that says eco.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

AFAIK, the HD trucks dont have MDS. Only the 5.7s in the 1500s

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

You have MDS.
Not everyone notices it unless you are very intune with your truck, and frequently drive aggressively, or swap styles.
If you drive your truck "like a truck" you are not likely no notice it.

vincentw56

Reaction score
You have MDS.
Not everyone notices it unless you are very intune with your truck, and frequently drive aggressively, or swap styles.
Dang, I got to start driving my truck like a truck because my MDS kicks in all the time while crusing on the Interstate and highway.

vincentw56

Reaction score
You can disable 4-cylinder mode if you don't like it.

Steve
Yeah, I know. Didn't say I didn't like it. I said I didn't know how to drive my truck like a truck. Towing a trailer and MDS kicks on. Hauling wood and MDS kicks on. Just trying to figure out how to drive it mine like a truck.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California

Until I went into UConnect and set it to display the ECO light, the only way I knew my MDS was engaged was by watching the instant fuel economy. It goes in and out very smoothly.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t think the 6.4 had MDS but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dang, I got to start driving my truck like a truck because my MDS kicks in all the time while crusing on the Interstate and highway.
Can you not read lol?
If you are on the highway on flat ground and MDS kicks in you aren't gonna notice it.
I fail to see what is incorrect about my statement.

Someone is missing the point...

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Until I went into UConnect and set it to display the ECO light, the only way I knew my MDS was engaged was by watching the instant fuel economy. It goes in and out very smosmoothly.
Same here. I don't even notice it on my 5.7 with stock trashcan muffler exhaust system.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Can you not read lol?
If you are on the highway on flat ground and MDS kicks in you aren't gonna notice it.
I fail to see what is incorrect about my statement.

Someone is missing the point...

Yep, you are missing the point of my reply. I read it just as it was written. You said:

How am I not reading that properly? How does one drive a truck like a truck? The statement makes no sense. Just trying to figure out how you drive a truck like a truck? Or how can you drive it like a car?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yep, you are missing the point of my reply. I read it just as it was written. You said:

How am I not reading that properly? How does one drive a truck like a truck? The statement makes no sense. Just trying to figure out how you drive a truck like a truck? Or how can you drive it like a car?
I drive my truck like a sports car, spin tires, sharp turns, WOT. I can feel when MDS is engaged. That is not typical for how a truck should be driven.

Driving it like a truck means you aren't trying to race it, and thus are less likely to notice MDS kicking in. Any kind of intense throttle movement will disable MDS and unless you are gunning it out of the blue you will not feel it go in and out of MDS especially on a Ram vs GM's MDS for example (much more noticeable).

I didn't realize it was a foreign concept, I guess I should of explained it better.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I drive my truck like a sports car, spin tires, sharp turns, WOT. I can feel when MDS is engaged. That is not typical for how a truck should be driven.

Driving it like a truck means you aren't trying to race it, and thus are less likely to notice MDS kicking in. Any kind of intense throttle movement will disable MDS and unless you are gunning it out of the blue you will not feel it go in and out of MDS especially on a Ram vs GM's MDS for example (much more noticeable).

I didn't realize it was a foreign concept, I guess I should of explained it better.
Okay, I see now. I live in the midwest where we drive everything the same. There's no distinction between driving a sports car and a truck. We drive them all the same just like you described driving your truck. That's how we drive everything, even tractors.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't think so either but looks like the newer ones do now

On went on ramtruck and built one just to see and that appears so. I didn’t think the prior 6.4s did though but I also never put much time into really looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread