5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MDS at Idle?

machz

Reaction score
My e-torque is I believe, set at 2 seconds for all shutdowns while the Transmission is in drive. I am seeing the MPG keep moving up and the average is now about 17.1 MPG. The only thing I have found annoying with this so far is when traffic comes to a stop for 2 seconds using the Adaptive Cruise. When the car in front of me starts moving away the engine restarts but it doesn't start the vehicle moving until you hit the resume or the gas pedal.

Yeah, my Audi and my wife's Subaru does this. I wouldn't be surprised if it was some sort of federal regulation.

Turin

Reaction score
Chevy thought of this concept already and took it a step further so that you could be in 4-cylinder mode all the time. Yes, thats right, all the time. They achieved this feat not by updating the cylinder deactivation software for the 5.3 or 6.2, but just went ahead and put a 2.7L 4 banger in the Silverado. Never have to worry about running on all 8 cylinders if half of them aren't there!
I realize that this is sarcasm, but Chevy actually did update their cylinder deactivation using Delphi's Dynamic Skip Fire tech. (Chevy calls it Dynamic Fuel Management.) It's an intriguing idea. Instead of running in either four- or eight-cylinder mode, it adjusts firing such that the engine can effectively run on any number of cylinders (and even a fractional number of cylinders). On the V8 it's supposed to improve efficiency by 5 – 10%.

2019 Chevy, GMC Trucks Get Smarter Fuel-Saving Cylinder Deactivation (Car and Driver)

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes and actually the turbo 4 banger drops to 2 cylinders as well.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
According to my Scangauge, my 5.7L uses 0.3 gallons per hour while idling, once engine and transmission are at operating temperature.
That's 42.6 fl oz or just about 2.5 pints of gas.

Steve
Sounds too good to be true. MPG meter falls off a cliff in my truck when idling for 5+ minutes.

Yeah, my Audi and my wife's Subaru does this. I wouldn't be surprised if it was some sort of federal regulation.
Don't think so. Tesla's adaptive cruise will automatically resume. I think my wife's Kia might as well - would have to double check though. I think some OEMs are just more cautious than others with implementing these driver assist systems.

machz

Reaction score
Don't think so. Tesla's adaptive cruise will automatically resume. I think my wife's Kia might as well - would have to double check though. I think some OEMs are just more cautious than others with implementing these driver assist systems.

I can tell you the Kia Telluride does not. Most vehicles have level 1 that is basic driver assistance. The tesla is between 2 and 3 and that's why it can restart. Even my 18 S5 is only between 1-2. It all has to do with the equipment installed on the vehicle.

• Level 0 – No Automation. This describes your everyday car. ...
  • Level 1 – Driver Assistance. Here we can find your adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist to help with driving fatigue. ...
  • Level 2 – Partial Automation. ...
  • Level 3 – Conditional Automation. ...
  • Level 4 – High Automation. ...
  • Level 5 – Full Automation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/