5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MDS: Any Happy Stories About Great MPGs With It?

Ramjack

Reaction score
I get 22 mpg at 75-77 mph with a family of four in the truck. If I keep it below 70 mph (like on U.S. highways vs interstate), I've averaged 23.5 mpg. These are averages over 250-300 miles, not instant mpg.

As far as MDS goes, I can definitely feel when it's on. The truck shudders slightly, especially if you "squeeze" the accelerator just a touch, but not enough to deactivate the MDS. (BTW, this was EXACTLY the same experience I had with my Honda Pilot's VCM, so it's apparently characteristic of cylinder deactivation systems.) It doesn't bother me on the highway, but I'm not a big fan of it around town. I will generally turn it off in the city so that I get immediate response to the slightest throttle inputs.

Last edited:

BadTrooper_345

Reaction score
I hate MDS! i did not buy this truck for fuel economy! i would have bought some electric hybrid thing! soon as i get in i disable itwith the gear selector, drive the dang thing!

Jeremy1974

Reaction score
All of you saying you can feel it must be like GODLY sensitive lol. I am not sure how you can feel something that occurs on 1 cylinder like every .0.24 seconds and the HP doesn't change. If you are feeling a "clunk" or your truck is shuddering when it goes back and forth, it isn't working the right way. I just tested MDS off vs MDS on and I have to say it is WAY more about where you drive than it is how you drive, if that makes sense.
I live in the mountains/hilly areas. I average about 15 MPG driving around here. I just drove to NJ the other day about 190ish miles and I got just over 17 on the way out driving 70 with MDS off and on the way back stuck to 65 with MDS on and I hit 19.6 Around town MDS on or off doesn't make a difference for me. I don't have the stop start stuff.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All of you saying you can feel it must be like GODLY sensitive lol. I am not sure how you can feel something that occurs on 1 cylinder like every .0.24 seconds and the HP doesn't change. If you are feeling a "clunk" or your truck is shuddering when it goes back and forth, it isn't working the right way. I just tested MDS off vs MDS on and I have to say it is WAY more about where you drive than it is how you drive, if that makes sense.
I hear it more than I feel it, but it's definitely noticeable as a faint "whump" and change in exhaust tone. After all, a LOT is happening...4 cylinders are turning into air pumps in 0.04 seconds (1 each millisecond) while the other 4 cylinders are getting a fuel and air "boost" at the same rate to ensure continuous power delivery.

I agree that there are some driving conditions that may see a significant benefit from MDS, whereas others will see negligible differences.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some people are just more mechanically connected to their vehicle and pick up on quirks easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or some people have a smoother MDS...I think those with stock trucks notice it the least. It seems aftermarket exhausts really show the MDS working.

Mine is totally stock and other than the Eco light coming on there is no way you can tell...at least with normal entertainment running.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ived owned 4 different new trucks that had some sort of cylinder deactivation since 2008. They were all stock when I bought them and I could still tell. Yes its more noticeable when you install an exhaust, and yes the newer versions have gotten smoother, but I can still tell its kicking in and out.

Besides the potential for oil consumption isnt worth the marginal gains you get with it on anyway. Each one of those trucks, current ram included, would get almost the advertised sticker MPG (around .5MPG off give or take a little) with it off.

Users who are viewing this thread