5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MDS and Start/Stop and Android Auto (Learned something new today)

Ramjack

Reaction score
1. MDS and START/STOP
So I was under the impression that using the gear limit selector on the steering wheel (i.e. setting it to "8" instead of "D") would disable BOTH start/stop and MDS. In reality, it only disables MDS. My observations:
  • MDS is definitely disabled when you do this.
  • Start/stop is not disabled, but it may appear so at times.
    • One of the many views on the instrument panel says: Start/Stop Ready (or Not Ready) - screen #5 on my Big Horn.
    • If you are driving along and it reads "Start/Stop Ready", it will change to Not Ready if you hit the gear limiter switch.
    • However, as soon as you put your foot on the brake, it will change to Ready, assuming all other parameters for start/stop functioning are met.
For me, this is perfect because around town, MDS gets really annoying. Start/stop (the eTorque way) works flawlessly. On the highway, I generally don't mind MDS so much.

2. ANDROID AUTO and PHONE
I was having some difficulty with my phone (Android) in the RAM at times. Sometimes, I would press the talk button and say "dial Joe" and the system would respond with something like: "There are no contacts in your phonebook." Then I realized that if I start the truck and give Bluetooth a minute to fully sync before plugging in the usb cable (for Android Auto use), everything works fine. Not exactly sure why but it seems to work so far.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't see any kind of message about start/stop when I disable MDS in either of the 5th gens I've owned with start/stop. It never even occurred to me that both might be disabled, because I used to always disable MDS and let start/stop do it's thing. I'll have to see if I can bring up the view you're talking about just to see the messages you described.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I don't see any kind of message about start/stop when I disable MDS in either of the 5th gens I've owned with start/stop. It never even occurred to me that both might be disabled, because I used to always disable MDS and let start/stop do it's thing. I'll have to see if I can bring up the view you're talking about just to see the messages you described.
In my Big Horn, it's screen #5 in the center of the instrument panel. Likely different in your Limited.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'll try to remember to take a look. Didn't drive my truck to work today LOL.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
On Android Auto, hold the talk button and Google Assistant will come on. Then you don't need to worry about the phone sync.

Ramjack

Reaction score
On Android Auto, hold the talk button and Google Assistant will come on. Then you don't need to worry about the phone sync.
Thanks !! But then what? I've never used Google Assistant. (It will probably be self-evident when I try it, right?)

vincentw56

Reaction score
Thanks !! But then what? I've never used Google Assistant. (It will probably be self-evident when I try it, right?)
Then say "call Joe". You can also do a lot more like send text messages. And other things.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Then say "call Joe". You can also do a lot more like send text messages. And other things.
When I hold the talk button, I'm getting a message that says: Microphone permission needed for voice commands. Trying to figure that out.

vincentw56

Reaction score
That's just Google Assistant asking for permission to use the mic. You can go into settings of the phone then Google to find those.

Ramjack

Reaction score
That's just Google Assistant asking for permission to use the mic. You can go into settings of the phone then Google to find those.

Well, I got the microphone working, but something isn't quite right. I can hold the talk button, say "call Joe", then I hear "calling Joe" over the speakers, then once it dials, it starts using the speaker phone on the phone itself instead of working through the truck speakers. I'll keep trying.

Users who are viewing this thread