5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maxing out caster for clearance?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious here... it seems with everyone who has issues with larger tires rubbing it's on the back side of the front wheels.

I'm not in any hurry, but a level, 18x9's and 35's are likely in my future.

When I had my Frontier with essentially the same style front suspension the trick when lifting was to adjust rear camber bolts out, front camber bolts in and let your alignment guy adjust camber as necessary, but not mess with caster. This maxes positive caster and pushes the wheels forward in the wheel well. At least it did on the Frontier. Seems it should on the Ram as well. Looking at my Rebel it seems camber bolts have room and wheels sit more rear of the opening.

I haven't decided on anything other than probably black Level 8 MK6 wheels.

I obviously haven't read everything here, but still not seen any real mention of caster here.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Moving the eccentrics to adjust camber can also affect caster and vice-versa. Modern-day alignment machines do the work for the mechanic and tell him which eccentric to turn which way. Maybe you only move one, maybe you move both, maybe they both go the same way, maybe they go opposite directions.

Attachments

• 02 - Front Suspension_Wheel Alignment_Standard Procedure ALIGNMENT.pdf
    158.1 KB · Views: 6

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did that the second time I installed fox coilovers on my ‘22. I pushed both sides forward to give slightly more clearance to the driver’s side while maintaining the 0.5 degrees (IIRC) more caster on the passenger side.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Moving the eccentrics to adjust camber can also affect caster and vice-versa. Modern-day alignment machines do the work for the mechanic and tell him which eccentric to turn which way. Maybe you only move one, maybe you move both, maybe they both go the same way, maybe they go opposite directions.
I understand how it works, but the techs have some say in the matter. Just as they did when I did this on my Frontier.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did that the second time I installed fox coilovers on my ‘22. I pushed both sides forward to give slightly more clearance to the driver’s side while maintaining the 0.5 degrees (IIRC) more caster on the passenger side.
👍🏻

Any idea how much more clearance you were able to get?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
👍🏻

Any idea how much more clearance you were able to get?
Roughly 1/4”. IIRC, I moved it forward by a little over 1 degree. It solved my rubbing issue with the rough country at3’s though, and the truck still drives fine and doesn’t eat tires, so all good.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Roughly 1/4”. IIRC, I moved it forward by a little over 1 degree. It solved my rubbing issue with the rough country at3’s though, and the truck still drives fine and doesn’t eat tires, so all good.
Good to know. It definitely helped my Frontier and also made the steering a little tighter and less prone to wonder. It needed that extra caster.

Users who are viewing this thread