5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maximum # of MP3s on 128GB USB Drive?

triadpc7605

Reaction score
So, I've had this same 128GB USB drive in my previous 3 RAM trucks (most recent was 2017 Lararmie with the 8.4 Nav and Alpine speakers), but my 2019 RAM w/ 12" screen and HK radio won't read all of the MP3s. The USB drive has plenty of free space and is formatted as FAT32 and has around 12K songs on it. Any ideas?

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score

There’s a max number of files out uconnect will acknowledge on usb media - I.e. if it 6500, and you have 10,000 on your drive, the uconnect player will not acknowledge files from 6501 and up

That number is what the op is looking for

triadpc7605

Reaction score
Actually, it doesn't appear to be the number of files on the drive, but the # of folders on the drive. I've got 4 categories as parent folders, under each category folder, I have each artist, and under each artist I have their album, and under each album I have their songs. I'm going to play around with this some this weekend (like move all of the songs under 1 parent folder or move each artist's songs under their own folder, but no individual album folder, etc.), but it doesn't appear to be how the drive is formatted or how many songs or even files you have, it's how many folders the head unit (and software) can read on the drive.

triadpc7605

Reaction score
Is there a quick way to swap folders? I haven’t figured out a way to do it from the steering wheel...
I don't think so, you have to hit the back arrow button to go back to the previous folder. Also, when connected with Android Auto, it defaults to Bluetooth as the audio source (and even if you go in and change the source back to USB2 or USB3), if you use your steering wheel controls to go to the next song, it will go back to Bluetooth as the audio source. Aggravating to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread