5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max wheel/tire size (20's) with stock Air suspension?

Doxmia

Reaction score
Since I can't fit 18's on my Limited (barrel rubs against the calipers) and I have to go with 20's I am wondering what the largest size I'd be able to go is with stock suspension. Has anyone tried pushing the limits, yet?

The 22 limited wheels are nice, but doesn't match the overall color scheme I'm going for with the truck.

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
I don't see why 18s with the right offset wouldn't fit...if I recall the stock 18s are at around +19.

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure that stock 18 - 22 inch rims fit on all trims regardless.

I haven't checked since I got my tires and wheels but look at customwheeloffset.com to see what will or will not fit. I've seen a guy on stock ride (no trimming either) put on a 20x9, +1 rim some nittos at 33"x12.5" (320/50/20)

Doxmia

Reaction score
18's did not fit even ignoring the offset. The 18's that come stock on the ram have an extremely flared barrel when compared to aftermarket wheels. I tried a couple of brands, as mentioned the calipers rub even without it mounted on the hub; you literally can't even put on the front wheels to even get to the hub at close to factory offset (tried +12 and +18).

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
I'm picking up what your putting down...check out that site...the employees there are super quick to respond to questions like this...in my experience.

Doxmia

Reaction score
Yeah, that site was one of the first I had checked out; even they list 17's and 18's when they simply will not fit in 90%+ of aftermarket cases. If you look at the factory 18's that come on the lower trims even they can hardly fit a business card between the caliper and the barrel, and when you pull the wheel off the barrel is kind of indented where the caliper would sit with the +20 offset.

I've been going through this myself for the past month and a half. (I ordered my first set of wheels a week after I got the truck, they didn't fit, ordered a different set, so on and so forth).

I'm just warning people that a lot of manufacturer's say that 18's will fit, some even list 17's. They will 100% not fit unless the barrel is very flared (which none of the big guys are like fuel, kmc xd, etc). I spoke with TSW on the phone and they have even sent an internal memo letting their employees know.

In any case, was more or less just trying to get what the largest diameter people have gone with their factory air suspension.

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
I do recall it looking snug with the stock 18s. I never considered the thought....

The largest I've seen on customwheel was 33x12.5 (320/50) without rub. I feel like I could squeeze another inch in without rubbing

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score

This guy had 35s also on a limited (air suspension)

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Nitto Ridge Grappler
Nitto Ridge Grappler
I hear great things about the ridge grappler. I rode in a friend's Chevy to golf the other day, (he happens to also run a high volume discount tire store) and he had them on this truck. Said they have been very popular and are nice all around hybrid highway/mud.
I have been looking at the 305/55/20 (non-LT!) myself, but they are around $330 ea. The 275/60/20 and 285/50/20 in non-LT also that are much more reasonably priced. Those non-LT Ridge Grappler ratings are still less weight and rated to carry more than stock Falkens.

Beastram

Reaction score
I hear great things about the ridge grappler. I rode in a friend's Chevy to golf the other day, (he happens to also run a high volume discount tire store) and he had them on this truck. Said they have been very popular and are nice all around hybrid highway/mud.
I have been looking at the 305/55/20 (non-LT!) myself, but they are around $330 ea. The 275/60/20 and 285/50/20 in non-LT also that are much more reasonably priced. Those non-LT Ridge Grappler ratings are still less weight and rated to carry more than stock Falkens.
Just a reminder though the LT I believe are 12 ply where the ones I got are 10 ply so you’re going to get a bit better gas mileage with those

Doxmia

Reaction score
I'm seeing other people say they had to move the front bumper and cut some plastic to fit 35's. So much conflicting info!!

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
I do not have the air but am still trying to figure out what wheel and tire set up on a stocker. I have seen 33 X12.5 with a 1 offset. you can see a few trucks in the gallery at custom offsets

Users who are viewing this thread