5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max Payload question

RKPhelps

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with 5.7L Hemi, Air Suspension, 3.92 ratio, 5.7 bed, and the 22" Wheels and Tires.
When I check on Ram's website using my Vin# it gives me a Max Payload of 1840 lbs, When checking the Ram towing chart for this configuration it gives me a Max payload of 1800 lbs. Now when I look at my sticker on the front door jamb it says the Max Payload is only 1428 lbs.

Anyone else have this,?

If true can you explain to me how they arrive @ 1428 lbs?

It doesn't make sense to me because the max load rating on each tire (285/45/R22XL 114H) is 2601 lbs and if you divide the 5300 lbs truck weight by 4 and subtract that from the 2601 lbs you end up with over 1300 lbs extra capacity per tire x 4 = over 5200 lbs.

So if the tires aren't the limiting factor and all the other sources say the truck itself can handle in excess of 1800 lbs why does my door jam say 1428 lbs?

Thanks Rob

I am dealing with the same thing. Every extra options such as the Pano roof adds weight and therefore takes away from the max payload of roughly 1800 lbs. It is not just tires as it has to do with frame, suspension and so on.

I myself am frustrated as my truck/build is at 1361, so by the time I put a trailer on the hitch and add my family I have no payload remaining and therefore cannot by definition add anything to the bed.

I am thinking I made a mistake and should have gone with the 2500HD

I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with 5.7L Hemi, Air Suspension, 3.92 ratio, 5.7 bed, and the 22" Wheels and Tires.
When I check on Ram's website using my Vin# it gives me a Max Payload of 1840 lbs, When checking the Ram towing chart for this configuration it gives me a Max payload of 1800 lbs. Now when I look at my sticker on the front door jamb it says the Max Payload is only 1428 lbs.

Anyone else have this,?

It doesn't make sense to me because the max load rating on each tire (285/45/R22XL 114H) is 2601 lbs and if you divide the 5300 lbs truck weight by 4 and subtract that from the 2601 lbs you end up with over 1300 lbs extra capacity per tire x 4 = over 5200 lbs.

So if the tires aren't the limiting factor and all the other sources say the truck itself can handle in excess of 1800 lbs why does my door jam say 1428 lbs?

Thanks Rob
I am dealing with the same thing. Every extra options such as the Pano roof adds weight and therefore takes away from the max payload of roughly 1800 lbs. It is not just tires as it has to do with frame, suspension and so on.

I myself am frustrated as my truck/build is at 1361, so by the time I put a trailer on the hitch and add my family I have no payload remaining and therefore cannot by definition add anything to the bed.

I have been discussing this for along time and alot of us have worked together to get this info out. @Zeronet has a post with most all options weighed in.

These trucks will haul a big trailer, if you drive by yourself and load the trailer not the truck.

2500HD...I have a great percentage of my posts are of this very dilemma.

Good luck guys. Hope you can make it work.

Honestly though, when you buy a crew cab, diesel, 4x4, loaded up 3/4 ton pickup, you don't really have that much payload left either... No matter which class of truck you buy, the loaded up, large cab, big motor trucks are going to be at the lowest payload (obviously). I've seen Platinum F-250's with less than 2,000lbs payload, because they have the diesel, pano roof, 4x4, etc. So even going 2500HD, you gotta watch the numbers.

I totally empathize with your situation. In a first time truck buyer and was completely unaware of this. Vet misleading info from the trucking industry.

I think salesman in both the pickup world and the camper world need to go to seminars and have a training group explain all these numbers to them and then when manufacturers post their max payload and max tow they need to post in big bold letters that it is a 4x2 regular/quad cab with a towing package installed and the biggest available torque motor so people have a fighting chance at a right decision.

Or a big bold disclaimer that says your loaded truck isn't gonna haul the biggest load.

I totally empathize with your situation. In a first time truck buyer and was completely unaware of this. Vet misleading info from the trucking industry.

I feel ya. Sadly, salespeople may not know much more about the trucks they sell either.
That's why you got to read the fine print whenever Ford/Ram/Chevy have one of those 30 second commercials where they proclaim their truck is the best at ______ and what trim/options are needed to actually reach those numbers.

Luckily there is capacity built into the trucks, and nothing major has happened...YET.

I camp most everyweekend from April to November and sometimes earlier and later. The amount of crazy travel trailer setups I have seen...it isn't going to be pretty someday.

But the truck salesman said it could and the Rv salesman won't say it can't.

6900 GVWR for 4x2
7100 GVWR for 4x4

6900-1800=5100 so they are saying the lightest truck they make is 5100lbs.

So, not sure if your truck is 4x4 or not but since that is our sites highest take rate...7100-1428=5672

Your truck weighs 5672 lbs. Now for trailer they give 300lbs for passenger and 75 for hitch equipment, but that number comes from the GCVWR which changes greatly depending on options, but you did say 3.92 ratio and a Hemi So that about gives us the highest one...17000

I will let you do the rest of the math.

I put the thread I did up, not only to show my debate about keeping a 2500, not needing a 3500, but wanting a 1500 Rebel so people could see there is alot of math to getting what you REALLY can tow and/or haul.

GVWR-truck weight=payload

The limiting factor is GVWR...a 2500 is 10000 GVWR and a 3500 has all different ones from 10100 to 14000

Just as for towing each component limits it. If you have a 2500 that can tow 17500 but your hitch ball is rated at 7500...you better stay under 7500

Last edited:
6900 GVWR for 4x2
7100 GVWR for 4x4

6900-1800=5100 so they are saying the lightest truck they make is 5100lbs.

New York State titles vehicles as they are shipped by the manufacturer. Just got my title today. It says my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab, bench seat, 2-wheel drive, 33 gallon fuel tank, 3.21 axle, 18" standard tires, spare tire & wheel, oil and coolant is 4991 pounds.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 002049 miles.

New York State titles vehicles as they are shipped by the manufacturer. Just got my title today. It says my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab, bench seat, 2-wheel drive, 33 gallon fuel tank, 3.21 axle, 18" standard tires, spare tire & wheel, oil and coolant is 4991 pounds.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 002049 miles.
Yes, the 4x2 with a V6 will net the most payload (and assuming the super Dana 60 makes this happen, is the only 4x2 with a 7100lb GVWR **and this may be a typo also) can have up to 2320 lbs of payload, so my info was tainted as I didn't know what drive his truck was and used the payload numbers he gave.

So, the lightest truck they make is 4780 (according to the Ram guide...these numbers will also change when tradesman arrive to the forum)

And to cover all bases the HFE has a GVWR of 6010 and a payload of 1180lbs...weighing 4830

And we have yet to see the 5th Gen in regular cab form, so there will be those numbers.

There is a little confusion/typos on the chart...so these numbers are not gospel.

Just wanted to put these numbers out. Just so the information is more accurate (as accurate as I can with no solid info yet from RAM)

Thanks for the info @Dusty1948

Maybe some more guys from New York can post this number.

Some guys will be going to the scales, and maybe other states do this also.

Please post up if you got numbers.

We are trying hard to help Ram realize they need to be more transparent with these numbers.

And later on today, I am going to post a thread on the 1st Ram 1500.

Just so you guys who kinda feel cheated with the payload you got can see how bad it used to be, when Ram, err Dodge, revolutionized the truck world

And later on today, I am going to post a thread on the 1st Ram 1500.

Just so you guys who kinda feel cheated with the payload you got can see how bad it used to be, when Ram, err Dodge, revolutionized the truck world
I myself don't feel cheated; I just did not educate myself enough and didn't realize there was so much to towing and weight. This is my first truck so I took the numbers more as face value and never once thought about build variations.

I myself don't feel cheated; I just did not educate myself enough and didn't realize there was so much to towing and weight. This is my first truck so I took the numbers more as face value and never once thought about build variations.
Why I am trying my best to get this info out there. Also because I want my family to survive all trips to the great Escape of camping.

Like has been said...you can even run into this problem with a 3500. Option out that Limited Cummins...you might not be able to tow that 32000lb 5th wheel, ok...you won't be able too.

Yes, the 4x2 with a V6 will net the most payload (and assuming the super Dana 60 makes this happen, is the only 4x2 with a 7100lb GVWR **and this may be a typo also) can have up to 2320 lbs of payload
This might be something new all together...like the HFE but for payload not fuel mileage.

The super Dana 60 has nothing to do with it...but there is a number that is different than all other trucks...the base weight. So this may just be a number specific to the tradesman trim to get that number posted.

Why I am trying my best to get this info out there. Also because I want my family to survive all trips to the great Escape of camping.

Like has been said...you can even run into this problem with a 3500. Option out that Limited Cummins...you might not be able to tow that 32000lb 5th wheel, ok...you won't be able too.
That's what really boggles my mind. I see so many trucks with either massive trailers and or loads and wonder how many are over the payload based on the charts I have studied.

Short of a 3500 CTD which for a daily driver that is a non work truck for me rides too rough and hard to justify the cost, it seems that the 2500 6.4l hemi is a great option as the payload is roughly 3k lbs with a tow rating of roughly 15k lbs (now I know it depends on actual build). The fuel mileage is not as good but it also costs around $8k less than the oil burner.

I am looking forward to the next gen HD models to be released as I see one in my future. I just hope the interiors are just as nice as the 1500.

Based on SAE J2807 Test starts it states this.

• In addition to a vehicle’s base curb weight, the “Tow Vehicle Total Weight” (TVTW) for testing tow vehicles allocates 150 pounds for the driver, 150 pounds for a front seat passenger, the weight of all tow package equipment, and spicified weight of optional equipment (hitch ball, weight distribution bars, fifth wheel hitch, and such) split evenly between the front and rear axles.
Does this mean that the Payload rating has already taken into consideration the weight of 2 passengers up to 300lbs plus the hitch equipment?

Based on SAE J2807 Test starts it states this.

• In addition to a vehicle’s base curb weight, the “Tow Vehicle Total Weight” (TVTW) for testing tow vehicles allocates 150 pounds for the driver, 150 pounds for a front seat passenger, the weight of all tow package equipment, and spicified weight of optional equipment (hitch ball, weight distribution bars, fifth wheel hitch, and such) split evenly between the front and rear axles.
Does this mean that the Payload rating has already taken into consideration the weight of 2 passengers up to 300lbs plus the hitch equipment?
No, that weight allowance is strictly for towing capacity. Payload for your vehicle is on the yellow/black tire loading sticker inside the drivers door.

If you have any doubt about this just go to the nearest truck stop with a Cat scale and weigh your truck for $11. Subtract the scale weight from your GVWR (typically 7100 or 6900) located on the grey sticker inside the driver door. This is your actual available payload capacity. GVWR should never be exceeded although some do.

I bet the available payload is even less than the payload listed on the yellow sticker since you probably have added some personal items/accessories. At least that was the case for me since I added a tonneau, bed liner and a bed step. Another 100lbs of payload gone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back