5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Massive auto insurance increases.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With Progressive here. I noticed my monthly went up from $201 to $203 when it renewed last July. 3 vehicles / 2 drivers. Slight increase.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My first insurance company was Plymoth Rock and I got a major "at fault" accident which wasn't my fault. I think I might of just bad a bad agent but it left a very sour, and expensive taste in my mouth the costed my thousands of dollars over 6 years. They even had the nerve to cancel my insurance with only 1 accident as I was "high risk" like 2 years after that.

Finding good insurance is hard to balance price vs quality.
Progressive is really cheap, but at least where I live in central MA they refuse to come out to look at your damaged vehicle for a claim. They require me to drive 2 hours to go to THEIR service center. They wouldn't let me go to a regular shop which i'm pretty sure is illegal for them to do, but they still did it anyways. Whats the point of insurance if you can't even use it?

Library is good insurance but around here is crazy expensive
sorry to hear that, but if you were found "at fault" it is what it is. You could have appealed it maybe. But I can tell you, when I was an independant appraiser, before joining the staff at Ply Rock, I wrote for many diff ins co's, and so i got to see how they treated their customers from "behind the scenes"....boy, some of them were down right evil. Commerce was the worst..(now called Mapfre). They just didn't want to pay anyone anything. Arbella and Ply Rock were always the most generous, and allowed us to be as fair as we could.

John Jensen

Reaction score
There are several comments challenging an insurance company's not insuring lifted (altered) vehicles. To those comments, I would suggest you read the fine print in your contracts. You may find that when you file a claim or have an accident your insurance company can say your altered vehicle is not covered.

I went through my 4" lifted Jeep insurance being canceled a few years ago. I did some extensive research and questioned several insurance companies and was shocked to find what the contracts say. So, before you declare that your altered vehicle is covered or you post challenging comments, you may want to verify. Just because they don't ask or you don't declare doesn't change what you signed.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m insuring 5 vehicles with 4 drivers in the house, yes one of them is 16. I got hit with a 25 percent increase in the last year no accidents tickets or claims. I’ve been shopping around and everyone else is even higher. Curious if anyone else has seen steep increases?
State Farm told me rates were lowered or haven’t gone up for a few years because of Covid! Because of that they have gone up 10% is what I think he said? Now it’s time to earn some of the money they missed out on over the past few years! Going up like everything else😩

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Liberty mutual quoted me 24k per year for the 5 vehicles I laughed before I hung up on them!! Liberty bibaty bla bla bla.
They quoted me 12k a year for full coverage of my mustang. I went elsewhere and paid 150 per month for full coverage. I asked the guy if the quote was for two vehicles, and he said no, just for my mustang. It was just an '05 GT.

Nels

Reaction score
Yowza, some of the rates I'm hearing are bordering on unbelievable! How much difference does the state you're in make? I am insuring 4 vehicles - my 2019 Ram, wife's 2020 Kia Telluride, 23 year old son's 06 Toyota Corolla, and 16 year old son's 2012 Mazda 3. All for about $3600/year. Liability, comp, and collision on all. Could change $ limits and deductible but still wouldn't approach anything near what some are paying. I'm in Wisconsin.

Before the recent add of the Mazda my annual renewal had increased from $2300 to $2600, so a healthy percentage of around 12%.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We're paying $1800/year for a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited, 2018 Volvo XC60, 2013 Mazda 3, and 1996 Ford F150. We're with State Farm. We do have a multi-line discount and it's just me and my wife with no claims history. I can't say for sure if it's increased much. The truck came on the policy last year and I don't remember exactly what it was when we had a 2015 Grand Cherokee in place of the Ram.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My total cost went up this last time, around $60. The funny thing is that while my wife's Explorer went up, my Ram actually dropped. Add in the cost for the bike, and I'm forking over $2300/yr to Nationwide. They haven't treated us poorly through the years, heck they even gave me full replacement rider on my new truck when I traded the '20 in, and my cost when down then as well.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Use Liberty Mutual...no significant changes over the last few years. Renewed last month, premium increased by about $48
I had Liberty Mutual for years and premiums kept increasing. I talked with them about it and they gave me the line about the "average" repair cost in my area, blah, blah, blah. I switched to Geico aftewards and my premium went down 20%. Now I get flyers from Liberty Mutual telling me I can go back for a huge discount.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
They quoted me 12k a year for full coverage of my mustang. I went elsewhere and paid 150 per month for full coverage. I asked the guy if the quote was for two vehicles, and he said no, just for my mustang. It was just an '05 GT.
I had Liberty Mutual for years and premiums kept increasing. I talked with them about it and they gave me the line about the "average" repair cost in my area, blah, blah, blah. I switched to Geico aftewards and my premium went down 20%. Now I get flyers from Liberty Mutual telling me I can go back for a huge discount.
Geico wanted 12k a year from me to insure a 06 Mustang v6 base model. Current value was around $8k at the time. I went with Progressive at the time for $3400 a year.
Geico wasn't even allowed in my state until a year before, and when they came in it was a complete joke.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
I’m still searching best I’ve been quoted is $900 per month from State Farm. That’s still $10,800 per year. Who did you find if you don’t mind me asking?

n8zcc

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear some of you are getting hit with increases. I know insurance costs go by location and vehicle types. For example, my 2015 3500 is less expensive to insure than my wife.s 2013 Equinox.

I just renewed, I pay for 6 months of coverage at a time, insure three vehicles, and my rates went down from $1294 to $1098. I'm with Farmers and have a house, RV, boat, and vehicle coverage policy. I live rural and my vehicles are garaged on my property.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
am I even reading these posts right? someone really would pay $3400 a year for a 2006 base mustang? Is someone putting collision on a 16 year old v-6 Stang? if so Why? NADA clean retail on that car is $4900.

Pertzbro

Reaction score
4th generation insurance agent here - I own multiple agencies. Mostly focus on medium size businesses.

On the personal insurance side of the business - rating is widly different and can take account many factors.

Married or Single
Zip Code
State
Own or rent home
vehicle value
vehicle type
vehicle engine size
vehicle manufacturer
agreed value or ACV
Deductible level
past claims
credit score
bundling with or without other policies
miles a year driven
filed bankruptcy or not
amount of liability coverage you want

I could go on and on, it's damn near impossible (actually it is impossible) to compare rates in a forum online with all of these varying factors. Only way to do it is spend the time quoting yourself with all the random companies out there and make sure they are quoting same coverages - or hire an agent to do it for you. Yes rates are up across the board - weather is getting worse - depending on the state/area you live. Crime is up. Lawsuits are up. Values of Vehicles are through the roof including the cost to repair. General Inflation.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
am I even reading these posts right? someone really would pay $3400 a year for a 2006 base mustang? Is someone putting collision on a 16 year old v-6 Stang? if so Why? NADA clean retail on that car is $4900.
Sorry I wasn't clear enough on the last post I guess. this was years ago when I checked rates for Geico. Geico wanted 12k a year for a vehicle worth 8k
At the time the mustang was valued at around $8k
Just showing how some rates never make sense unless you plan on totaling like 2 cars a year.

You don't have a choice to not get collision when you have a car loan and at 19 years old I didn't have $9.5k burning a hole in my pocket to buy it outright.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't clear enough on the last post I guess. this was years ago when I checked rates for Geico. Geico wanted 12k a year for a vehicle worth 8k
At the time the mustang was valued at around $8k
Just showing how some rates never make sense unless you plan on totaling like 2 cars a year.

You don't have a choice to not get collision when you have a car loan and at 19 years old I didn't have $9.5k burning a hole in my pocket to buy it outright.
ah yes...sorry forgot about "under 25 y/o driver, and having a loan"...been awhile for me,(old) lol

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
ah yes...sorry forgot about "under 25 y/o driver, and having a loan"...been awhile for me,(old) lol
Yeah life sucked LOL.
Now (29) I pay around $1450 for full coverage of a 2022 Ram 1500 Limited and a 2013 GMC Acadia Denali for the wife
I remember when my wife turned 25 mid year and our insurance company mailed us a check for like $100 even though we already paid the full year of insurance. Claiming it was a refund for the rate going down due to her age.
Very good of Arbella to do that, I would of expected it to just go down the next year.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m still searching best I’ve been quoted is $900 per month from State Farm. That’s still $10,800 per year. Who did you find if you don’t mind me asking?
It was Farm Bureau at the time I believe. I have Progressive now for the Ram.

Users who are viewing this thread