5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marker Lights Rear center

WildWildWest

Reaction score
Looking to see if anyone has installed the 3500/TRX rear center marker lights on their 1500? Part number 68362184AB

Plan to wire into trailer harness adapter that I got for my reverse pods.

Curious if anyone knows if it’s a direct mount or if I will have to drill holes? I’ve seen talk about having to purchase 2 snap in nuts as well? Part number
6509432AA
Not sure how these nuts work?

Beardslow

Reaction score
I have done it and it was kind of a pain. I ended up getting the light, plastic mounting panel that sits under the tailgate and then had to get the wiring harness that goes into the tailgate for the handle, locks, and backup camera. The harness is longer on the TRX because they moved the plug closer to the drivers side to make room for the light. IMG_1470.jpg

WildWildWest

Reaction score
I have done it and it was kind of a pain. I ended up getting the light, plastic mounting panel that sits under the tailgate and then had to get the wiring harness that goes into the tailgate for the handle, locks, and backup camera. The harness is longer on the TRX because they moved the plug closer to the drivers side to make room for the light. View attachment 151773
Ahh didn’t know about a plastic mount! Any part number by chance?

I was just going to hard wire it instead of messing with harnesses.

Did you have to drill holes to mount?

Beardslow

Reaction score
Ahh didn’t know about a plastic mount! Any part number by chance?

I was just going to hard wire it instead of messing with harnesses.

Did you have to drill holes to mount?
The red area is where they moved the plug to.
Tailgate Panel.JPG

I did not have to drill any holes for anything. The plastic panel is kind of a tough to get on and off with the bumper on but it is doable. Here's the part numbers I got and rough prices.

68442740AA - Close out panel Qt 1 $40
6509432AA - Snap in nuts Qt 2 $8
06036789AA - Screws Qt 2 $8
68362184AB - Lamp Bar Qt 1 $60
68531013AB - Wiring Harness Qt 1 $75

Roughly be around $200 in parts and it would be all factory parts except to tie into the running lights. I made a harness like what Shifts and Grins makes to tie into my trailer wiring and have had zero issues. That's also how I turn on the extra fog lights and reverse lights I have mounted to the TRX tow hooks.

WildWildWest

Reaction score
View attachment 151780

I did not have to drill any holes for anything. The plastic panel is kind of a tough to get on and off with the bumper on but it is doable. Here's the part numbers I got and rough prices.

Roughly be around $200 in parts and it would be all factory parts except to tie into the running lights. I made a harness like what Shifts and Grins makes to tie into my trailer wiring and have had zero issues. That's also how I turn on the extra fog lights and reverse lights I have mounted to the TRX tow hooks.
Appreciate the info!! I’ll be looking further into this for sure.

WildWildWest

Reaction score
View attachment 151780

Just ordered everything. Is it pretty self explanatory to mount?

I’m assuming I pull trim piece from location, replace with new trim piece that allows for light mount. Screws go into light, screws then go into nut and they attach to the new trim piece?

Are my assumptions pretty close?

Beardslow

Reaction score
Just ordered everything. Is it pretty self explanatory to mount?

I’m assuming I pull trim piece from location, replace with new trim piece that allows for light mount. Screws go into light, screws then go into nut and they attach to the new trim piece?

Are my assumptions pretty close?
Correct. The trim piece is kind of a pain just because of how it mounts. There are some clips you have to depress from the underside of the truck, you'll see on the new one when you get it. The wiring harness you just have to pull the cover off the inside of your tailgate and it's plug and play. Be careful with the plug for your camera though. I broke mine and had to zip tie it so it doesn't come unplugged.

WildWildWest

Reaction score
Correct. The trim piece is kind of a pain just because of how it mounts. There are some clips you have to depress from the underside of the truck, you'll see on the new one when you get it. The wiring harness you just have to pull the cover off the inside of your tailgate and it's plug and play. Be careful with the plug for your camera though. I broke mine and had to zip tie it so it doesn't come unplugged.
You have me considering just doing the wiring harness now instead of hard wiring.

No sales code had to be activated for the light to work?

Beardslow

Reaction score
You have me considering just doing the wiring harness now instead of hard wiring.

No sales code had to be activated for the light to work?
So the wiring harness is for the tailgate release and camera and is required. The light bar does NOT plug into it. The TRX tailgate wiring was moved about 6" towards the drivers side to make room for the light bar so the harness had to be lengthened. There was a harness that I had to make in order to give the light bar power and ground that I tied into the trailer wiring. @Shifts And Grins Fab might be able to help with this harness as it is used for his diode dynamic lights.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
View attachment 151780

Looks GREAT!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread