5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mark Dodge Thread

Dunga

Reaction score
I didn't notice it until I started driving slightly longer distances.

I'm not sure exactly what the issue is, and whether it's a leak in the bags, the lines, or something wrong with the compressor.

The front air suspension bags are deflating after it sits for a while. When you start it up it refuses to lift up and gives you an error codes such as saying the payload is too high when the truck is empty other than me sitting in it. It also flashed a service air suspection fault code that did go away on its own. Also, it prevents you from adjusting the air suspension randomly and says the system is cooling down.

It's still drivable for short or moderate distances but I'm worried the compressor will fail at any time and I don't want to cause damage to the suspension system of the bags are fully deflated.

Looks like it will take me over a week to get into a local dealer. I'm hoping they can fix it with parts they have on hand and I don't have to go in twice. These things happen even with new vehicles and it could be worse, but sucks to have mechanical issues right out of the gate.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Agreed. It sucks. But it happens. Thank goodness for warranty. These aren’t the most affordable out of warranty. So many gremlins.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't notice it until I started driving slightly longer distances.

I'm not sure exactly what the issue is, and whether it's a leak in the bags, the lines, or something wrong with the compressor.

The front air suspension bags are deflating after it sits for a while. When you start it up it refuses to lift up and gives you an error codes such as saying the payload is too high when the truck is empty other than me sitting in it. It also flashed a service air suspection fault code that did go away on its own. Also, it prevents you from adjusting the air suspension randomly and says the system is cooling down.

It's still drivable for short or moderate distances but I'm worried the compressor will fail at any time and I don't want to cause damage to the suspension system of the bags are fully deflated.

Looks like it will take me over a week to get into a local dealer. I'm hoping they can fix it with parts they have on hand and I don't have to go in twice. These things happen even with new vehicles and it could be worse, but sucks to have mechanical issues right out of the gate.

There's no compressor, it's a sealed system with a fixed nitrogen tank. If there's a leak the system shuts down. The pump only moves air back and forth from the tank to the gas struts. Once the low pressure limit is reached the pump will stop working as a safety, it shouldn't damage it.

Rammmer

Reaction score
There's no compressor, it's a sealed system with a fixed nitrogen tank. If there's a leak the system shuts down. The pump only moves air back and forth from the tank to the gas struts. Once the low pressure limit is reached the pump will stop working as a safety, it shouldn't damage it.
I suppose I don't know enough about how the system is engineered and am giving a layman's explanation.

All I can tell is the that air suspension controls are not responsive and giving various errors. The front bags are not staying inflated over time and will only respond at what I can tell are random intervals.

After I exit the truck what sounds and acts like a compressor in the rear passenger side of the vehicle kicks on and you can see the front bags inflate. It seems to have a mind of its own and will inflate on it's own accord and not in response to the manual air suspension control at times. Other times it does seem to raise and lower but does give me the cooling down alert.

Frankly not sure what could be the issue.

Is this the compressor that's in the truck? If it is a closed system that does still have pressure is the pump in the compressor likely the culprit if it's overheating?

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The tank has extra air. There's probably a leak on one side of the system so it can let air out, but it's not moving back in. Once the tank pressure drops to a certain point the system is supposed to shut down. It does load/level balance. It could be even a sensor making the system think one side is higher or lower than the other. I've had mine say over payload after going into deep water a couple times.

Rammmer

Reaction score
The tank has extra air. There's probably a leak on one side of the system so it can let air out, but it's not moving back in. Once the tank pressure drops to a certain point the system is supposed to shut down. It does load/level balance. It could be even a sensor making the system think one side is higher or lower than the other. I've had mine say over payload after going into deep water a couple times.
Hmm, interesting hopefully the dealer can figure it out. Everything has happened on dry flat land doing nothing out of the ordinary with the truck.

As far as you know it's completely safe to drive with the front bags deflated?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah its safe. There's bump stops at the bottom you hit when you are all the way down like in the first entry exit level. You might feel the truck hitting those as it feels like a normal rides like **** suspension instead of the rides on a cloud air suspension. You may also head the wheel liners run when turning the wheel all the way left or right. There's a few people who've had leaks before and a couple where the pump or a sensor simply came unplugged and made the system go nuts. Even unplugging the load wire from the negative terminal on the battery can make the system fault and do stupid things. The only unsafe thing would be if it were raised on one side only, or only the front or back unevenly.

If you lower with the keyfob, it will stay in entry exit until the power is cycled too. At least on the trucks I've seen.

morrpar

Reaction score
I’m about 735 miles from Mark Dodge. My truck hasn’t been delivered yet so I’m trying to get an idea as well.
GB, I am close to Blue Springs, so 725 miles. Sounds like the shippers try to combine loads going to the same general area. If our trucks had been ready to ship on the same day, we could have saved money.

Abckmyr

Reaction score
For those who have already received your trucks how long did it take from the time it shipped from the factory until you received the truck. I was told about another month?

Ctmaz68

Reaction score
For those who have already received your trucks how long did it take from the time it shipped from the factory until you received the truck. I was told about another month?
My ship date was 8/15. As of yesterday morning, 8/24, I was told it was still on train about 8 miles from Port Allen, LA. Once unloaded from rail car, it will be about a 2 hour trip to Mark Dodge, as far as I can tell. The Laramie I originally ordered and canceled took 16 days from ship date to delivered, so hopefully my Limited shows up this weekend or next week.

Abckmyr

Reaction score
My ship date was 8/15. As of yesterday morning, 8/24, I was told it was still on train about 8 miles from Port Allen, LA. Once unloaded from rail car, it will be about a 2 hour trip to Mark Dodge, as far as I can tell. The Laramie I originally ordered and canceled took 16 days from ship date to delivered, so hopefully my Limited shows up this weekend or next week.

Keep me updated.
I was told 10-14 days to port Allen, then 2-3 weeks to get to MD and then 4-7 days for make ready.
When you say 16 days from ship date to delivery do you mean it was ready to pickup from MD in 16 days or the ram tracker said it was delivered?

Ctmaz68

Reaction score
Keep me updated.
I was told 10-14 days to port Allen, then 2-3 weeks to get to MD and then 4-7 days for make ready.
When you say 16 days from ship date to delivery do you mean it was ready to pickup from MD in 16 days or the ram tracker said it was delivered?
It showed ship date of 8/4 on tracker. On 8/20 Mark Dodge called and emailed me saying my truck arrived (not realizing it was no longer my truck). Another member here ordered a Limited from a local dealer here in AZ, his truck shipped on 8/10 and his is arriving today at his dealer and he is taking delivery Saturday. I am not sure how it can take 2 to 3 weeks to get unloaded from a train and transported 124 miles, but maybe there are other factors I am unaware of. Still, the Laramie arrived at MD 10 days earlier than the estimated date on the Ram tracker.

Ctmaz68

Reaction score
It showed ship date of 8/4 on tracker. On 8/20 Mark Dodge called and emailed me saying my truck arrived (not realizing it was no longer my truck). Another member here ordered a Limited from a local dealer here in AZ, his truck shipped on 8/10 and his is arriving today at his dealer and he is taking delivery Saturday. I am not sure how it can take 2 to 3 weeks to get unloaded from a train and transported 124 miles, but maybe there are other factors I am unaware of. Still, the Laramie arrived at MD 10 days earlier than the estimated date on the Ram tracker.
BTW, on the Laramie build, the tracker said eta was 8/30, then a few days after it was delivered the tracker finally updated and showed delivered on 8/20. So it appears the Ram tracker site is not the most reliable or up to date info.

Dunga

Reaction score
I would think about a month is not unreasonable. Check my signature for time stamps. So many things can make it longer or shorter.

Ctmaz68

Reaction score
I would think about a month is not unreasonable. Check my signature for time stamps. So many things can make it longer or shorter.
Yours was 13 days from shipped to dealer lot, ahead of the estimated date. Not bad. It looks like they give themselves some leeway in their estimates.

morrpar

Reaction score
Mark Dodge has been great to work with. I saved over $ 10k and got 0% x48. The sales process was great; no pressure to buy add-ons. Paperwork was sent to the closest DMV and the details were correct. Easy-peasy.
However, taken as a whole, next time I will think long and hard about out of state ordering.
Getting it shipped has been a problem. I should have flown down and driven it back. If I had, I would have been driving it for five weeks now. I feel like I gave up control of the situation.
Might get the truck by next Monday-anybody's guess.

Ctmaz68

Reaction score
Mark Dodge has been great to work with. I saved over $ 10k and got 0% x48. The sales process was great; no pressure to buy add-ons. Paperwork was sent to the closest DMV and the details were correct. Easy-peasy.
However, taken as a whole, next time I will think long and hard about out of state ordering.
Getting it shipped has been a problem. I should have flown down and driven it back. If I had, I would have been driving it for five weeks now. I feel like I gave up control of the situation.
Might get the truck by next Monday-anybody's guess.
What has been the issue with shipping? I thought they had a pretty good system and most people got there vehicles delivered pretty quick. Has something changed?

Rammmer

Reaction score
What has been the issue with shipping? I thought they had a pretty good system and most people got there vehicles delivered pretty quick. Has something changed?
I imagine it really depends on who they pick up as a driver. The driver I got from central dispatch seemed to be pretty good. $1500 for over 1700 miles. Got him same day. Picked it up Saturday and arrived on a Tuesday, which is good for a 27 hour straight drive. Nice guy too.

Rammmer

Reaction score
Local dealer took a look at my truck yesterday and determined that there was a leak in the front right air shock, which makes sense given the problems I was experiencing. Should be fixed by the end of next week if all goes well and there isn't another issue with the system.

A little frustrating on a new truck but hopefully it's resolved. I didn't really realize it was a problem until a few days in so I can see why they didn't notice it driving around the lot at MD, assuming it came like this from the factory.

I wrote to Aaron who responded quickly and was as helpful as he could be from a distance. For anyone deciding between dealers I would highly recommend working with Mark Dodge.

Users who are viewing this thread