5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mark Dodge Thread

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The answer to both is No. My commute is around 20 minutes each way. Ok good. Any last minute must haves? I’m speccing the limited slip diff, sunroof, and ram boxes. I know the boxes people love them or hate them. Do you recommend their tonneau cover?
Can't speak to the gearing. I don't tow so I got the 3.21 but might get 3.92 if I did it again just for potential resale. I got the ram boxes and LOVE them! No alignment issues, yet at least. Also I got the MFT and haven't used the tailgate in the traditional way but a time or two.

As far as the cover goes, It's ok.....opening and closing is a little more involved than others I've had. The credit to delete it was only $100 of $200 so I took it so I wouldn't have to immediately spend another grand. I'll replace it at some point with a rolling cover.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The answer to both is No. My commute is around 20 minutes each way. Ok good. Any last minute must haves? I’m speccing the limited slip diff, sunroof, and ram boxes. I know the boxes people love them or hate them. Do you recommend their tonneau cover?
I think my truck is perfect, so just build yours the same and you'll be good. Post your POC up here when you get it from Mark Dodge, and we'll all let you know where you went wrong. :LOL:

For real, I think the only thing I might miss that I didn't order is air suspension. I wouldn't order another truck without the panoramic roof, 12" UConnect, or eTorque Hemi. No experience with the Mopar bed cover or liner. I decided to go with aftermarket for both knowing exactly what I wanted (local customer spray and Diamondback cover).

Do you care about payload at all? If you don't, I'd probably order just about everything, but you probably want to get the 33 gallon tank.

Dunga

Reaction score
I think my truck is perfect, so just build yours the same and you'll be good. Post your POC up here when you get it from Mark Dodge, and we'll all let you know where you went wrong. :LOL:

For real, I think the only thing I might miss that I didn't order is air suspension. I wouldn't order another truck without the panoramic roof, 12" UConnect, or eTorque Hemi. No experience with the Mopar bed cover or liner. I decided to go with aftermarket for both knowing exactly what I wanted (local customer spray and Diamondback cover).

Do you care about payload at all? If you don't, I'd probably order just about everything, but you probably want to get the 33 gallon tank.

Yes definitely going with the 33 gallon tank. Payload doesn’t matter nope. It’s an oversized trunk for me that I can throw strollers in just as well as go to Home Depot.

cleigh

Reaction score
3.92 is better for towing but takes a slight hit in MPG according to some. You can still tow with the 3.21 it just doesn't have the same pull at first and towing capacity can be reduced slightly. There's a dedicated 3.21 vs. 3.92 thread with a ton of info.
Tow capacity is reduced by a lot, actually. Like 2500-3000lbs.

Derek916

Reaction score
Deciding on Monday on whether to sell my southwest laramie at break even and upgrading to the Limited 10th anniversary. Do you guys think it’ll be worth it? Only thing. I hate on the truck is the pano sunroof as it gets pretty hot. My tint shop refused to give me a strong heat rejection tint up there because of fear the window would crack. It’s about 10K more out of pocket to upgrade. seems with the limited I’ll gain better head lights, actual leather seats and air suspension? Don’t think I’m missing anything else.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Deciding on Monday on whether to sell my southwest laramie at break even and upgrading to the Limited 10th anniversary. Do you guys think it’ll be worth it? Only thing. I hate on the truck is the pano sunroof as it gets pretty hot. My tint shop refused to give me a strong heat rejection tint up there because of fear the window would crack. It’s about 10K more out of pocket to upgrade. seems with the limited I’ll gain better head lights, actual leather seats and air suspension? Don’t think I’m missing anything else.
Does your tint shop do ceramic in a lighter shade? Living in Florida, that's what I'm looking into.

I don't think it'd be worth $10k to go to a Limited from my truck, but that's me.

Highwayman

Reaction score
Peeps from NJ... how did the MD to MVC process go for you? I’m sure MD will send in everything that was needed but I worry about the MVC... I didn’t see any way on the MVC website to track progress and would be surprised if I could, but hoping not to have the temp tags expire while they take their time.

Derek916

Reaction score
Does your tint shop do ceramic in a lighter shade? Living in Florida, that's what I'm looking into.

I don't think it'd be worth $10k to go to a Limited from my truck, but that's me.
The most they would do is LLumar Classic 50

the only option they gave me for the pano was Llumar classic 50 which only offers a 29% heat rejection. Having my hand next to the pano feels like at least a 20 degree difference. I just don’t like the pano that much, I’ve tried driving with it open and don’t like the extra glare it gives me.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Will you spend literally all of your time in the truck driving 80+ mph on the highway? Do you care about saving $6 a week enough to reduce the capability of your truck? If the answer to either question is no, you're making the right choice.
You just know I'm itching to jump in. To each their own is the final answer.

I think the 3.92 is over-hyped, but a lot of people get it, along with 4x4s, so I'm in the minority.
I've established my personal opinion in other threads. My Ram isn't a race car, it's 3 tons of vehicle supported by 4 patches of rubber. If I wanted a fast car, I'd take a small fast car.
I don't have a Hemi, I don't have 4x4, I bought my truck to be a tow-capable highway cruiser that could see up to 20,000mi/year commuting and on the interstate.

The limited slip is almost certain to come with most configurations. I think the Night Edition added the anti-slip.

I was on the fence about the Ramboxes, but I ultimately decided I didn't like the configuration or the bed cover options. Buttcrack tail gate and sunroof were a hard pass for me, I didn't see enough usage to justify the payload limit.

Yes definitely going with the 33 gallon tank. Payload doesn’t matter nope. It’s an oversized trunk for me that I can throw strollers in just as well as go to Home Depot.
I'm about to mention how I don't really listen to tow capacities, so take payload capacity with a grain of salt.

I've seen DTs that have as little as 1050lbs of payload. That's basically 4 guys and fishing gear. To me, that's ridiculously low for a 1500 and the reason I was careful not getting EVERY option.

Tow capacity is reduced by a lot, actually. Like 2500-3000lbs.
Depending on the configuration, it's about 1000lb to 3000lb I took a 1800lb hit with my 3.21.
Do I care? Not really. I don't plan to take 10,000lbs up many steep 1-lane mountainside roads here in Florida.

I put more value into my brakes, suspension, proper weight distribution, and a good healthy dose of situational awareness.
I plan to tow within my 8200lb capacity most of the time, with an occasional 9, 10, or 11k, maybe a few times in the life of my truck.
If I was planning to be at 10,000lbs on a regular basis, I'd probably wouldn't be relying on a 1500, regardless of my tow rating.

The Laramie is considered the best value. The Limited kicks it up a little, but I don't think enough to justify the $10k.

SuaveHouse

Reaction score
I picked mine up on Saturday. I told Aaron(left) and Billy(right) that I wanted to take a photo and I was going tp post it on the forum. lol I want to say, this has been a great buying experience and would buy again. I DID find a few flaws that Aaron is getting taken care of. Looks like I will be trading trucks this week or next while they address the issues and make it right. I Love the truck!

View attachment 130916
Wow! That's great news. I just ordered my truck two days ago, I hope I can get my truck in record time like you. I also have the same packages as you.

Dunga

Reaction score

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 10.32.23 AM.png

Here it is! That was unbelievably fast and seamless. I was humming and hawing about chrome bumper vs paint. Not an expensive option and honestly both look great to me. So keeping the Chrome. FYI Stellantis raised their MSRP on the Limited by $990 or thereabouts. This was in the last 36 hours. The website still shows the old pricing I think. I still think I got a terrific deal and will use whatever incentives are available at the time of delivery vs the ones available now whichever is better in addition to the sale price discount. There's a sort of an order tracker post on the forums I think so I should go add my order there. When the truck arrives wife and I will fly down to LA to pick it up, then spend the weekend in New Orleans. Never been there so looking forward to some good food! Then it's an 1,100 mile trip home we will probably do over two days since my wife needs to pee every 2 hours. Not really but kind of. I know it's too early but man I'm getting excited to take delivery.

mcat79

Reaction score
View attachment 131135

Here it is! That was unbelievably fast and seamless. I was humming and hawing about chrome bumper vs paint. Not an expensive option and honestly both look great to me. So keeping the Chrome. FYI Stellantis raised their MSRP on the Limited by $990 or thereabouts. This was in the last 36 hours. The website still shows the old pricing I think. I still think I got a terrific deal and will use whatever incentives are available at the time of delivery vs the ones available now whichever is better in addition to the sale price discount. There's a sort of an order tracker post on the forums I think so I should go add my order there. When the truck arrives wife and I will fly down to LA to pick it up, then spend the weekend in New Orleans. Never been there so looking forward to some good food! Then it's an 1,100 mile trip home we will probably do over two days since my wife needs to pee every 2 hours. Not really but kind of. I know it's too early but man I'm getting excited to take delivery.
Congrats on the order! It seems like they are pumping out the higher end trims, so hopefully you're sitting in your new car in the next 6-8 weeks :)

ManchuWarrior

Reaction score
This is a heck of a build! Congrats!

Derek916

Reaction score
View attachment 131135

Nice, did you lock in before the price increase? I just saw that too and now I’m not so sure I want to upgrade lol.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 131135

You even picked the right color. Nice work.

I see you ended up going with the e-locker instead of the anti-spin diff.

Dunga

Reaction score
Nice, did you lock in before the price increase? I just saw that too and now I’m not so sure I want to upgrade lol.
Unfortunately not. It is what it is. I'm getting a dream truck specced to my liking so I'm not gonna let the thousand bucks ruin it.

Dunga

Reaction score
You even picked the right color. Nice work.

I see you ended up going with the e-locker instead of the anti-spin diff.
Whoops! I thought it was the same? I have an E limited slip on my Vette and it works great. Did I screw up?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Whoops! I thought it was the same? I have an E limited slip on my Vette and it works great. Did I screw up?
Depends what you want out of the truck. If you're not going to off road the truck, I'd probably ask them to change it to anti-spin diff.

The e-locker is good for anticipated traction issues, like you'd encounter off road (mud, off camber, etc.). Anti-spin is good for unanticipated traction issues like you'd encounter on the road in rain, snow, etc.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 131135

That 1100 mile trip will be easy in this truck. You'll be wishing it was longer! :)

Hope you enjoy the new toy!

Dunga

Reaction score
Depends what you want out of the truck. If you're not going to off road the truck, I'd probably ask them to change it to anti-spin diff.

The e-locker is good for anticipated traction issues, like you'd encounter off road (mud, off camber, etc.). Anti-spin is good for unanticipated traction issues like you'd encounter on the road in rain, snow, etc.

Ok thanks for that. I just requested the change and they will send it to Stellantis. It’s obviously not too late. I just hope this won’t muck up anything else in the spec accidentally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/