5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mark Dodge Thread

TSL

Reaction score
Thought I's share an update on my damaged-in-transit Rebel ( paint and body damage from broken glass from a vehicle above it on the transporter ).
I decided to cancel and re-order. Had thought about trying to negotiate an additional discount, but decided against it.
Also, I've spent some time over on the "Rebel MPG" threads on this forum and decided that while I know I'm buying a truck and not a prius, there are limits to how fuel inefficent I can live with. Rebel mpg real world numbers with the Hemi are not for the faint of heart in today's fuel price economy !
So I'm re-ordering with the Ecodiesel engine. I was on the fence about it originally. Felt I don't drive enough miles to justify it. I'll just have to put in a few nice roadtrips every few months to keep the engine happy, I know diesels like to work and not just do short trips constantly.
Aaron and Renae continue to be great to work with. My deposit will roll over to the new order. I have an issue where I'll need to be out of the country potentially when the truck comes in, and they said they can work with me around that and hold it if need be.
So back to the back of the line I go with a new order !

Derek916

Reaction score
I know a few of you guys got PPF done...just curious how much you paid. For a partial coverage (bumper, 18-24" above bumper, mirror) it is $1200 if I go with STEK Dynoshield or $1800 if I go with Xpel in California. Is that about right?

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thought I's share an update on my damaged-in-transit Rebel ( paint and body damage from broken glass from a vehicle above it on the transporter ).
I decided to cancel and re-order. Had thought about trying to negotiate an additional discount, but decided against it.
Also, I've spent some time over on the "Rebel MPG" threads on this forum and decided that while I know I'm buying a truck and not a prius, there are limits to how fuel inefficent I can live with. Rebel mpg real world numbers with the Hemi are not for the faint of heart in today's fuel price economy !
So I'm re-ordering with the Ecodiesel engine. I was on the fence about it originally. Felt I don't drive enough miles to justify it. I'll just have to put in a few nice roadtrips every few months to keep the engine happy, I know diesels like to work and not just do short trips constantly.
Aaron and Renae continue to be great to work with. My deposit will roll over to the new order. I have an issue where I'll need to be out of the country potentially when the truck comes in, and they said they can work with me around that and hold it if need be.
So back to the back of the line I go with a new order !
Even with fuel priced the way it is, those Ecodiesel's do not carry a cheap maintenance tag. $200 alone for an oil change. Fuel won't stay high forever. This is going to hurt, probably through Labor Day. Just be ready to do what you've gotta do to maintain a diesel and follow the schedule like clockwork or you're in for some rough repairs.

blue_by_you

Reaction score
I know a few of you guys got PPF done...just curious how much you paid. For a partial coverage (bumper, 18-24" above bumper, mirror) it is $1200 if I go with STEK Dynoshield or $1800 if I go with Xpel in California. Is that about right?
this is what I was quoted for a highly reviewed Florida company that uses Xpel.

options with pricing.

18” Hood, Fenders Mirrors with wrapped edges - $275.
24” Hood, Fenders, Mirrors with wrapped edges - $350.
Bumper - $600.
Grille surround - $350
Lights - $150.
Full Hood, Full Fenders, Mirrors, Bumper - $2200.
Front of roof and A-Pillars - $200.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That would be extremely high for my area, but not sure about California.

For that money, I'd just repaint the bumper three times.

TSL

Reaction score
Even with fuel priced the way it is, those Ecodiesel's do not carry a cheap maintenance tag. $200 alone for an oil change. Fuel won't stay high forever. This is going to hurt, probably through Labor Day. Just be ready to do what you've gotta do to maintain a diesel and follow the schedule like clockwork or you're in for some rough repairs.
Fair point, I've read the horror stories and also the awesome stories of EcoDiesel owners. Decided to roll the dice anyway ! I grew up with diesels ( in Ireland ). They were bullet proof. VW 1.9 TDI and 2.0 TDI engines in Passats seemed to run forever. Fantastic torque too. But these new ones are "not your father's diesels" is true too. I get the sense it's all the emissions controls that complicate them. Anyway, I am a "like clockwork" guy with maintenance, I keep spreadsheets and track things fairly rigorously. In fact, I've been the "sucker" in the past that the dealership loves. You know, you go in for an oil change and they tell you "based on your mileage we think you should do a transmission flush", or whatever. And I'm there nodding and saying "OK, then, whatever you say". Obviously it doesn't do any _harm_ to do those extra fluid changes but they may not be strictly necessary. I try to go more by the factory scheduled maintenance these days, looking back over my records I've been horrified just how much I spent on maintenance at times !
I am thinking i may want to get the extended warranty with the EcoDiesel. I have always declined those on a new vehicle and haven't yet regretted that decision so far. There's a good deal more to go wrong on these beasts however.

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score
Fair point, I've read the horror stories and also the awesome stories of EcoDiesel owners. Decided to roll the dice anyway ! I grew up with diesels ( in Ireland ). They were bullet proof. VW 1.9 TDI and 2.0 TDI engines in Passats seemed to run forever. Fantastic torque too. But these new ones are "not your father's diesels" is true too. I get the sense it's all the emissions controls that complicate them. Anyway, I am a "like clockwork" guy with maintenance, I keep spreadsheets and track things fairly rigorously. In fact, I've been the "sucker" in the past that the dealership loves. You know, you go in for an oil change and they tell you "based on your mileage we think you should do a transmission flush", or whatever. And I'm there nodding and saying "OK, then, whatever you say". Obviously it doesn't do any _harm_ to do those extra fluid changes but they may not be strictly necessary. I try to go more by the factory scheduled maintenance these days, looking back over my records I've been horrified just how much I spent on maintenance at times !
I am thinking i may want to get the extended warranty with the EcoDiesel. I have always declined those on a new vehicle and haven't yet regretted that decision so far. There's a good deal more to go wrong on these beasts however.
You and I are in the same boat, seems like we both do an abnormal of research before pulling the trigger.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you realize how much extra the ecodiesel is? You're talking $5k just for that option alone. Then you add the oil change pricing, and the cost of diesel being about $.70 a gallon (near me at least) more right now, etc. How many miles per gallon to you have to gain to recover the extra costs to own the diesel?

I would love to have someone with real numbers provide that.

At today's pricing, I think it's fair to say that 30 cents a mile is an average cost for the 5.7 in a Rebel ($4.19 divided by 14mpg city). The ecodiesel, if it gets 24mpg city, at $4.99 a gallon, is 20 cents a mile. So at 10 cents a mile saving, you need to drive 50,000 miles just to recover the cost difference in the engine alone. Then add the additive cost, additional maintenance costs and oil change costs and the 5.7 puts more smiles on than the diesel in my mind.

TSL

Reaction score
Do you realize how much extra the ecodiesel is? You're talking $5k just for that option alone. Then you add the oil change pricing, and the cost of diesel being about $.70 a gallon (near me at least) more right now, etc. How many miles per gallon to you have to gain to recover the extra costs to own the diesel?

At today's pricing, I think it's fair to say that 30 cents a mile is an average cost for the 5.7 in a Rebel ($4.19 divided by 14mpg city). The ecodiesel, if it gets 24mpg city, at $4.99 a gallon, is 20 cents a mile. So at 10 cents a mile saving, you need to drive 50,000 miles just to recover the cost difference in the engine alone. Then add the additive cost, additional maintenance costs and oil change costs and the 5.7 puts more smiles on than the diesel in my mind.
Well, here's how I thought through it : I'm comparing the diesel to the Hemi, not the V6, so it's +$2200 for the diesel option. Hemi is +$2795 over the base model and diesel is +$4995, that's where I'm getting the 2200 extra from. And that's what I'm seeing on my re-order price as well. After that I did similar calc to what you have here. I assumed 13mpg average for the Rebel Hemi and 22mpg average for the diesel, from what I gleaned elsewhere on the Rebel mpg forums here. Where I live gas is $4.49, diesel is $4.99. So that puts the Hemi at ~ 0.34/mile and diesel at ~ 0.23 / mile. Savings of 0.11 / mile, or 20k miles to recoup the cost in fuel alone. That's 2.5 yrs for me at ~ 8k miles / yr. Let's take gas down to $3 / gal ( we can dream, right ! ). Then the Hemi is 0.23/mile ( again at 13mpg ), and if diesel is $3.30, then that's 0.15/mile @ 22mpg. Savings of 0.08 / mile, would require 27,500 miles to recover the 2200.
Diesel owners indicate DEF cost is trivial and doesn't make a huge overall cost impact. Regular maintenance - yeah there's some more cost there I know.
There are other intangibles for me too. I live within striking distance of the Cascadia Subduction Zone. A Mag 9+ earthquake would do some things to the fuel distribution network to put it mildly. I can safely store, for eg, 100 gal of diesel at my house, at least more easily than 100gal of gas. In an emergency, that could be useful. (Although, if the infrastructure is trashed, where exactly do I think i'd be going is a fair question ! ) I used to do that in Ireland. Not for emergency, but to save money. Buy 1000Litres of diesel and put it in a tank. Had an old gas station pump and filled up the car from that. Would fill the 1000L tank up any time prices were low. Was driving a lot of miles back then and went through it quickly enough.

Anyway, I'll see what happens
Apologies everyone for taking the Mark Dodge thread off in a diesel vs gas rabbit hole ! I am sure this has been hashed on many times in the past !

Whitty37

Reaction score
Just pointing out that the Ecodiesel is not a $5K upgrade over the Hemi...the Hemi is (I believe) a $2700 upcharge over the base V6. The Ecodiesel is $4995 over the base V6 which is only roughly $2300 over the Hemi.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, here's how I thought through it : I'm comparing the diesel to the Hemi, not the V6, so it's +$2200 for the diesel option. Hemi is +$2795 over the base model and diesel is +$4995, that's where I'm getting the 2200 extra from. And that's what I'm seeing on my re-order price as well. After that I did similar calc to what you have here. I assumed 13mpg average for the Rebel Hemi and 22mpg average for the diesel, from what I gleaned elsewhere on the Rebel mpg forums here. Where I live gas is $4.49, diesel is $4.99. So that puts the Hemi at ~ 0.34/mile and diesel at ~ 0.23 / mile. Savings of 0.11 / mile, or 20k miles to recoup the cost in fuel alone. That's 2.5 yrs for me at ~ 8k miles / yr. Let's take gas down to $3 / gal ( we can dream, right ! ). Then the Hemi is 0.23/mile ( again at 13mpg ), and if diesel is $3.30, then that's 0.15/mile @ 22mpg. Savings of 0.08 / mile, would require 27,500 miles to recover the 2200.
Diesel owners indicate DEF cost is trivial and doesn't make a huge overall cost impact. Regular maintenance - yeah there's some more cost there I know.
There are other intangibles for me too. I live within striking distance of the Cascadia Subduction Zone. A Mag 9+ earthquake would do some things to the fuel distribution network to put it mildly. I can safely store, for eg, 100 gal of diesel at my house, at least more easily than 100gal of gas. In an emergency, that could be useful. (Although, if the infrastructure is trashed, where exactly do I think i'd be going is a fair question ! ) I used to do that in Ireland. Not for emergency, but to save money. Buy 1000Litres of diesel and put it in a tank. Had an old gas station pump and filled up the car from that. Would fill the 1000L tank up any time prices were low. Was driving a lot of miles back then and went through it quickly enough.

Anyway, I'll see what happens
Apologies everyone for taking the Mark Dodge thread off in a diesel vs gas rabbit hole ! I am sure this has been hashed on many times in the past !
More important than anything else, get the truck you want.

I have the eTorque, 3.92s, and a 23 gallon tank. Some folks around here can't tell whether I want fuel economy, towing, or to run out of gas twice a week.

tomme12

Reaction score

I did the exact same math in a spreadsheet when ordering my rebel. It just was not worth it to go ecodiesel even though the MPGs looked great. I figured Id be selling my Rebel in about 5 years or 50k anyways (maybe) and just to break even on the eco didnt seem worth it to me. Plus the Hemi just sounds better than the Eco. The Eco I thought was about $3k more than the Hemi.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like you guys are well researched. I only mentioned it because I thought about going the same route but a friend of mine with a 2500HD talked me out of it. He needs/loves his. But the maintenance and emissions delete/tuning stuff he has done has been really expensive. I just don't wanna see good people get screwed on a decision!

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My mistake on the cost of the diesel. I went to to ramtrucks.com, selected 2022 Rebel and went to build the truck and saw the $4995 cost. I forgot that there are other engine options available on the Rebel and was thinking the default was the 5.7. I didn't look good enough.

Reactions: TSL

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My last truck was a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel. That motor was bullet proof and you could do whatever you want to it for not much money. Major HP and TQ for cheap. I never had any kind of major maintenance needed. Pretty much oil changes. Unfortunately that truck was lost in an accident caused by another dimwit driver and I couldn’t spend over $80K on a new diesel truck. I know the eco diesel is a totally different animal, but what kind of maintenance has to be done to them that makes them so problematic? BTW, I really miss having my diesel HD truck that had over 600 HP and 1100 Ft Lbs TQ, after driving this gas truck. This truck just seems so weak. It’s fancy though, I guess.

fliptide

Reaction score
I know the eco diesel is a totally different animal, but what kind of maintenance has to be done to them that makes them so problematic
Oil change
Fuel filter change
Seems a lot of dealers charge a pretty penny for these services on the eco.

Users who are viewing this thread