5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MAP update thumb drive will not work in USB port

sueperfan

Reaction score
Kept getting email to update Maps on my Uconnect. Called dealer and was told I have to follow instructions and order it ($157 with tax) so I did. Received a thumb drive and instructions, which I followed. Inserting the thumb drive in USB 1 while engine running...nothing. The light on the drive never came on, so tried it in the 3 other USB ports in the truck - same thing. Inserted it in USB port in my desktop computer - voila! Light comes on, it reads the drive and I can see what's on it - looks fine. I also plugged it into a port concentrator with USB-C that plugs into my phone - works also!
Called HERE team and after all the gyrations they suggested, was told to take it to the dealer to get the ports checked out. I drew the line when they say I have to pay $185 for diagnostics! I went ahead and had HERE send me a replacement (with zero hope of success)

Anyone on here have any ideas???

Thanks!

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just get another thumb drive with a view audio tracks on it and see if the radio can play them. If yes, you know the ports are fine. If not, I have an extra USB Hub you can have, just pay shipping.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
some drives are a little finicky... push it all the way in, and then very slowly pull it out, a thousandth of an inch at a time, and it may register/make proper contact at some point

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Kept getting email to update Maps on my Uconnect. Called dealer and was told I have to follow instructions and order it ($157 with tax) so I did. Received a thumb drive and instructions, which I followed. Inserting the thumb drive in USB 1 while engine running...nothing. The light on the drive never came on, so tried it in the 3 other USB ports in the truck - same thing. Inserted it in USB port in my desktop computer - voila! Light comes on, it reads the drive and I can see what's on it - looks fine. I also plugged it into a port concentrator with USB-C that plugs into my phone - works also!
Called HERE team and after all the gyrations they suggested, was told to take it to the dealer to get the ports checked out. I drew the line when they say I have to pay $185 for diagnostics! I went ahead and had HERE send me a replacement (with zero hope of success)

Anyone on here have any ideas???

Thanks!
I assume this is for a truck with Uconnect4 (not Uconnect5), since map updates are free on UC5.

I wonder if they used the wrong format on the thumb drive when they uploaded the files. I know with mine (which is on UC5), the thumb drive wasn't recognized when I used the wrong format. Mine requires FAT32 (and didn't work when I used ExFAT). Can you check what format the drive has?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I assume this is for a truck with Uconnect4 (not Uconnect5), since map updates are free on UC5.

I wonder if they used the wrong format on the thumb drive when they uploaded the files. I know with mine (which is on UC5), the thumb drive wasn't recognized when I used the wrong format. Mine requires FAT32 (and didn't work when I used ExFAT). Can you check what format the drive has?
They are typically coded for his vin so even if it was the wrong format, nothing he could do.
He MIGHT be able to extract everything and put it back on after changing the format.

Putting a few songs on a flash drive is best to test the port, after that you are sol if it works imo.

Users who are viewing this thread