5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MAP UPDATE OFFER: I have a 2019 Longhorn 12". The maps are dated 2017, which means the map data was collected no more recently than 2016.

Marusho

Reaction score
I tried in vain to learn when "new" maps are released. I did learn that November 2022 was the date of something, so perhaps the maps are released in November? I've been getting "offers" of a discount from the anchor price of $149 down to $99, which expires August 31, 2023. This smells like a way to make a bit more money off the maps that may be replaced in 2 months. So if the maps that came with my new truck were 2 years out of date, I could expect that whatever is being distributed now is similarly 2 years out of date, or perhaps 3 years. I have been thoroughly disgusted with the infotainment on the Ram, while otherwise having few complaints. I have never succeeded in updating the firmware. The dealer won't do it. Their response is, "we only do that if you are having a problem". That is not how software works. You can't know what enhancements have been added to the firmware. The maps have been a mixed bag, sometimes being useful and other times exasperating. As a lark, try saying, "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC". It's unknown because DC is not known. I've tried District of Columbia as well. Anyway if anyone has any insight into the map versions, release dates, etc., I'd certainly like to get an updated set - but I don't want to be an idiot and buy them if they are to be replaced 30 minutes later.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It took 10-11 weeks to get my Update shipped. They are 2022 maps. Still a year out of date.
My Garmin Nuvi I get quarterly Map Updates.

Malodave

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Though I risk starting a holy war, my advice is skip the map updates and rely on Apple or Google maps on your phone. Google Maps already supports offline maps, and Apple Maps will next month.

Free, up to date, traffic and detour information, what’s not to like? The only thing we 2021 and older owners miss out on are full screen maps (and maybe turn directions in the dash and HUD?) and , but the pros out weigh the cons in my book.

ram813ltd

Reaction score
updates are by HERE and does mapping for almost all brands world wide. they are always 1 year out of date and sometimes make errors that were right the previous map. i believe 2022 and newer now use tomtom which isn't much better in their directions. can't beat google on android auto where updating is almost daily or a stand alone garmin

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am still finding roads that have the wrong speed limits on them. (2022 update)
Some are 35 MPH roads, but default to 55 MPH.

Malodave

smashweights

Reaction score
I tried in vain to learn when "new" maps are released. I did learn that November 2022 was the date of something, so perhaps the maps are released in November? I've been getting "offers" of a discount from the anchor price of $149 down to $99, which expires August 31, 2023. This smells like a way to make a bit more money off the maps that may be replaced in 2 months. So if the maps that came with my new truck were 2 years out of date, I could expect that whatever is being distributed now is similarly 2 years out of date, or perhaps 3 years. I have been thoroughly disgusted with the infotainment on the Ram, while otherwise having few complaints. I have never succeeded in updating the firmware. The dealer won't do it. Their response is, "we only do that if you are having a problem". That is not how software works. You can't know what enhancements have been added to the firmware. The maps have been a mixed bag, sometimes being useful and other times exasperating. As a lark, try saying, "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC". It's unknown because DC is not known. I've tried District of Columbia as well. Anyway if anyone has any insight into the map versions, release dates, etc., I'd certainly like to get an updated set - but I don't want to be an idiot and buy them if they are to be replaced 30 minutes later.

You can update firmware yourself. See the pr40.1 update thread.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Map update needs an Activation code to work and it is linked to your VIN of the Truck.

Malodave

smashweights

Reaction score
That is only for the software update of the uConnect. Nothing to do with the navigation maps.

I know, the OP was also disappointed they wouldn't update his head unit software unless he was having a problem:

I have never succeeded in updating the firmware. The dealer won't do it. Their response is, "we only do that if you are having a problem". That is not how software works. You can't know what enhancements have been added to the firmware.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went thru a major interchange in Indianapolis Monday. They have been working on it over a year,
but the 2022 Map update does not have the change. I could have gone the wrong way.

Malodave

ram813ltd

Reaction score
same here they put the speed limit on a 70mph interstate to 45mph for a mile or so which should have only affected the truck scales but no it was correct speed previous year and they screwed it up current map

Users who are viewing this thread