5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Map Update availability - SHAME on ME

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check this out...

GerryS

Reaction score
I knew going in that the nav maps were outdated and expensive to upgrade. I have been a Garmin user for years and right now there is a Garmin Nuvicam that stays plugged in full time in the truck. It comes with lifetime map updates that are updated three or four times a year. In addition, since it's mounted to the windshield, it's more convenient to look at (more heads up display than looking down at the nav screen).

Gerry

Reverse

Reaction score
As I said in the other thread: HERE makes maps available for free in their smartphone app. Then use over Android Auto / Apple Carplay.

Benca101

Reaction score
Mazda also makes free map updates.. a bit ridiculous in this day and age to charge. I will pay every 3-4 years only. This is the threshold that allows me to not feel like a total fool.

Reactions: cj7

ewag

Reaction score
I use WAZE running through Andriod Auto, displays quite nicely on the screen. Maps are up to date and I can tell where the Lawmen are at (at least in theory) when I'm racing around town.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I knew going in that the nav maps were outdated and expensive to upgrade. I have been a Garmin user for years and right now there is a Garmin Nuvicam that stays plugged in full time in the truck. It comes with lifetime map updates that are updated three or four times a year. In addition, since it's mounted to the windshield, it's more convenient to look at (more heads up display than looking down at the nav screen).

Gerry
Same thing here only with Sygic

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With Google Maps, Waze, etc - why pay for this kind of stuff? You can save maps offline on Google Maps and use them to your hearts content. My entire state is only 264MB in size.
Because I can set trip parameters for different filters, load limits, truck/RV restrictions, speed limits, etc. And, IMHO it is much easier to see, program, and see, my being old, decrepit, deaf, and blind.
It also works with Android Auto for the truck screen thank you very much.
OK?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because I can set trip parameters for different filters, load limits, truck/RV restrictions, speed limits, etc. And, IMHO it is much easier to see, program, and see, my being old, decrepit, deaf, and blind.

I guess it's the same as someone that buys a 60k truck, and then spend another 5k+ because it isn't "PERFECT".
OK?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK?
I suspect “this kind of stuff” refers to map updates from Stellantis, rather than phone apps like Sygic.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suspect “this kind of stuff” refers to map updates from Stellantis, rather than phone apps like Sygic., f
Actually either monthly(paid) or yearly(free with purchase of app). When towing the last thing I need is a low bridge/overpass, gravel/dirt, narrow secondary. You know, the kind of "stuff" that make you back a fifth wheel trailer up for a half of a mile because the other apps(waz, google, etc.) said turn here. Just don't need that "stuff".

Last edited:

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Actually either monthly(paid) or yearly(free with purchase of app). When towing the last thing I need is a low bridge/overpasserry, gravel/dirt, narrow secondary. You know, the kind of "stuff" that make you back a fifth wheel trailer up for s half of a mile because the other apps(waz, google, etc.) said turn here. Just don't need that "stuff".
I don’t think you understand. No one is questioning your decision to pay for Sygic.
The question is, why would people pay for map updates from Stellantis when there are better options available?

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t think you understand. No one is questioning your decision to pay for Sygic.
The question is, why would people pay for map updates from Stellantis when there are better options available?
This. 100% this was my point.

I'm glad you told me about Sygic though! I've never heard of it and it actually sounds like a solid value for someone that tows a ton. 👍

RJS

Reaction score
Anyone check on the price of the new update as the old ones were about $150 for the Gen 4's?

Users who are viewing this thread