5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Map Light LED

Quint

Reaction score
I am content with most of my lights. However, the map light sucks compared to my 2015. I've tried searching on this forum but "map" brings up no results. Plus, in the threads where people talk about replacing the "map" light they are actually talking about the front reading lights.

My question: which LED light have people used to replace the single map light? Is there a video about how to change it? I've only found videos about changing the front reading lights.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I am content with most of my lights. However, the map light sucks compared to my 2015. I've tried searching on this forum but "map" brings up no results. Plus, in the threads where people talk about replacing the "map" light they are actually talking about the front reading lights.

My question: which LED light have people used to replace the single map light? Is there a video about how to change it? I've only found videos about changing the front reading lights.
The map light in the overhead console is soldered on to the PCB. Replacement would not be easy.

Quint

Reaction score
Hmmm, I was really hoping that this one could be brighter.

Thanks

XoVoX

Reaction score
Just cause it isn't easy doesn't mean it is impossible good sirs. I saw a video of a guy who replaced all his LEDs with blue for the dash and controls because he didn't like the white.

He had to do some soldering and what not so if you're capable of board soldering then its an option. You'll need to source the LED you need but be careful, they're usually flush/flat-mounted and can be annoying to work with. Also, they're usually pretty damn small.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Just cause it isn't easy doesn't mean it is impossible good sirs. I saw a video of a guy who replaced all his LEDs with blue for the dash and controls because he didn't like the white.

He had to do some soldering and what not so if you're capable of board soldering then its an option. You'll need to source the LED you need but be careful, they're usually flush/flat-mounted and can be annoying to work with. Also, they're usually pretty damn small.
Who said it was impossible? Have you seen the board that the LED is attached to? Anything can be done, but most here won't have the right soldering rig or capabilities to handle this type of job.

You are still dealing with the power limitations of the that board. Yes, you can change the color, but in majority of cases this will not change the output (brightness). Which is what the OP asked about.

Quint

Reaction score
....as the OP, I appreciate the additional insight. I can solder wires together but probably not what is required here. It's a shame that they lowered the light output, and then made it so hard to do an upgrade.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i installed my led lights map myself, nothing was soldered, i used a zip tie like someone posted on here to pull out the light bulb bc my fingers couldnt get around the oem bulb to pull it out

Users who are viewing this thread