5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manual high beams with automatic high beams

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I currently have a Super Duty F250. Below 35mph the auto headlights do not provide the option of high beams. I can manually turn on the high beams with my turn signal stalk and the high beams with turn on and stay on for ~ 1 minute before they time out. My wife's car does not allow the high beams to stay on below 35mph unless you hold the turn signal stalk OR turn off the auto headlights. My question: does anyone know what the Ram 1500 does in this situation? I live in a subdivision with no street lamps and few houses so when I come home at night I like to have the high beams on but travel less than 35mph. In my current truck its okay but in my wife's car its a pain.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I currently have a Super Duty F250. Below 35mph the auto headlights do not provide the option of high beams. I can manually turn on the high beams with my turn signal stalk and the high beams with turn on and stay on for ~ 1 minute before they time out. My wife's car does not allow the high beams to stay on below 35mph unless you hold the turn signal stalk OR turn off the auto headlights. My question: does anyone know what the Ram 1500 does in this situation? I live in a subdivision with no street lamps and few houses so when I come home at night I like to have the high beams on but travel less than 35mph. In my current truck its okay but in my wife's car its a pain.
I can test this for you tonight if you don't get a response. I leave my high beams in auto they turn on at all speeds as long as the camera is not detecting anything it determines to be another vehicle to shut them off. So here is my how the headlights work

Light switch on the panel has 4 settings controlled by rotary dial: off - parking - on - auto
Turn signal has stock has three functions - high beams off, pushed forward highbeams on - pulled back it flashes the highbeams and spring returns typical function.
For auto highbeams this has to be enabled through the uconnect screen this is a one time setup thing.

When the dial is in the auto setting and the auto highbeam function is enabled in uconnect when you push the stock forward you get a message that auto highbeams are enabled and the computer turns them on and off at will they do not function below the speed of 12 MPH odd number right? it's equivalent to 20 Kph which makes some sense. When you pull the stock back you get a message that auto highbeams are disabled and you can pull it all the way back to flash.

When the dial is in the auto setting and auto highbeam function is disabled in uconnect when you push the stock forward the highbeams turn on like normal and everything else functions as normal. The only auto aspect is the on and off of the headlights themselves due to ambient light. I'm not sure if they have a speed dependency or time out function.

When the dial is in the on position and auto highbeam is enabled through uconnect pushing the stock forward turns on the highbeams like normal. I'm not sure of speed dependency or a time out function.

So if you have everything in automode the only way to turn the highbeams on manually is by switching the dial from auto to on. I'm not sure if manual highbeams have speed dependencies but if they do I would assume it would be 12 mph like the auto function. It's not listed in the owners manual, so I'll test it out tonight and let you know.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Great response, I wish I could retain and be able to author such a detailed response but at my age its probably not gonna happen. Great

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I can confirm that the high beams in manual mode function at all speeds with no timer function. According to the manual The highbeams when in full auto will turn on after 12 mph as long as the computer doesn't think any cars are in sight

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Thank you for the in depth response. 12mph is much better than 35mph in my current truck and my wife's car. When my auto beams are engaged in my Super Duty and driving slower than 35 and can push the turn signal stalk forward and it will turn the high beams on for finite period of time before timing out. Sounds like the Ram will not do this BUT again 12mph is much easier to maintain than 35mph in any setting. Thanks again.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The manual says 20 kph or 12 mph is this a misprint ? I haven't tested this just took the manual as gospel truth lol, big mistake

20 mph is the speed limit on the last stretch of rad to my house... never looked at the manual! :LOL:

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can test this for you tonight if you don't get a response. I leave my high beams in auto they turn on at all speeds as long as the camera is not detecting anything it determines to be another vehicle to shut them off. So here is my how the headlights work

Light switch on the panel has 4 settings controlled by rotary dial: off - parking - on - auto
Turn signal has stock has three functions - high beams off, pushed forward highbeams on - pulled back it flashes the highbeams and spring returns typical function.
For auto highbeams this has to be enabled through the uconnect screen this is a one time setup thing.

When the dial is in the auto setting and the auto highbeam function is enabled in uconnect when you push the stock forward you get a message that auto highbeams are enabled and the computer turns them on and off at will they do not function below the speed of 12 MPH odd number right? it's equivalent to 20 Kph which makes some sense. When you pull the stock back you get a message that auto highbeams are disabled and you can pull it all the way back to flash.

When the dial is in the auto setting and auto highbeam function is disabled in uconnect when you push the stock forward the highbeams turn on like normal and everything else functions as normal. The only auto aspect is the on and off of the headlights themselves due to ambient light. I'm not sure if they have a speed dependency or time out function.

When the dial is in the on position and auto highbeam is enabled through uconnect pushing the stock forward turns on the highbeams like normal. I'm not sure of speed dependency or a time out function.

So if you have everything in automode the only way to turn the highbeams on manually is by switching the dial from auto to on. I'm not sure if manual highbeams have speed dependencies but if they do I would assume it would be 12 mph like the auto function. It's not listed in the owners manual, so I'll test it out tonight and let you know.
I may be suffering from old age so I have a question with regard to your response. My headlights have been set to auto and my high beams in Uconnect since I got my truck. Today while driving on a highway in overcast but daylight conditions I noticed the auto high beams disabled and then auto high beams enabled messages pop up 5 or 6 times during my trip. I have never seen this before in the 4 months I've owned the truck. Later in the day I noticed that the turn signal stalk was in the forward position. Should the stalk be in the forward or back position position for the auto high beam function to work? I may have accidentally hit the stalk and pushed it forward. Any help is appreciated.

geotex1

Reaction score
I may be suffering from old age so I have a question with regard to your response. My headlights have been set to auto and my high beams in Uconnect since I got my truck. Today while driving on a highway in overcast but daylight conditions I noticed the auto high beams disabled and then auto high beams enabled messages pop up 5 or 6 times during my trip. I have never seen this before in the 4 months I've owned the truck. Later in the day I noticed that the turn signal stalk was in the forward position. Should the stalk be in the forward or back position position for the auto high beam function to work? I may have accidentally hit the stalk and pushed it forward. Any help is appreciated.

It is normal. You ambient light sensor was triggering headlights when the overcast was enough to be below the threshold. Then when it sensed it brighten, back to DRLs.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is normal. You ambient light sensor was triggering headlights when the overcast was enough to be below the threshold. Then when it sensed it brighten, back to DRLs.
Thank you. I had never seen the messages before and thought something was wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread