5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manifold, or lifters?

MNLaramie91

Reaction score
I wanted to circle back on this and add that this ONLY happens after the engine is warm and I have been driving it for some time.

MNLaramie91

Reaction score
Did you end up taking it to the dealer on May 18th?

Sure did, they said they updated the pcm as they detected some slight misfires and weren’t able to hear the sound. I did show them the video so it’s at least documented but the tick is still there after I drive a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramjack

Reaction score
Sure did, they said they updated the pcm as they detected some slight misfires and weren’t able to hear the sound. I did show them the video so it’s at least documented but the tick is still there after I drive a bit.

So they weren't helpful at all. I figured as much. Sorry to hear that.

MNLaramie91

Reaction score
I wanted to bump this to the top. Am I right thinking this is lifters if it only happens after driving for a while/warming up?

JLaw297

Reaction score
Mine sounds like that from time to time, but opposite of you - only when the engine is still cold. No start up rattle or anything, just faintly heard once it’s idled down to normal levels. Completely gone once it’s fully warm though.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I wanted to bump this to the top. Am I right thinking this is lifters if it only happens after driving for a while/warming up?

I would think a lifter issue would show up immediately upon start up and then might go away as the oil circulates, but often not.

Last edited:

Rossi396

Reaction score
Bumping this up as my truck never had this issue until after the first dealer oil change at 4,500-miles. Now every cold start makes me cringe. Dropped it off last night. I sure hope they don’t point to the manual and say it’s normal. Just doesn’t make sense to me that it was quiet for all that time. Sure seems like it had something to do with the oil change. Sounds like lifter noise for 2-3 seconds.

JLaw297

Reaction score
Honestly could be.. I bought mine used with 28k miles and was really quiet for the duration of that oil. Next oil change (full synthetic) it seemed to tick a lot more off idle up to 1300rpm. Switched to another brand next oil change and it's back to being much quieter now.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would keep the dealer involved as long as possible; but when they give up and say "it's normal", then try running Redline 5w-20 oil, or if you're really brave, Redline 5w-30. If you live in frigid winter conditions then try Redline 0w-30. There are all kinds of user reports on a different ram forum showing how Redline quiets the hemi tick. It's not certified for use so it may void your warranty if something goes wrong later on, but all the user reports and used oil analysis show its the best shot we have for getting a quiet running Hemi.

Also get a better oil filter from Royal Purple, Wix, or something with synthetic media.

Rossi396

Reaction score
Thanks. Have been reading through all of the Mopar oil filter "issues" and oil suggestion threads. Just so disappointed that it WAS quiet and now it isn't.

silver billet

Reaction score
Why is this a factor when many (if not most) of the Hemi's run quiet with the OEM Mopar filter?

Poor quality control on the mopar's? I don't know, just that apparently the RP and Wix have a better anti-drain back valve, and they use synthetic media instead of paper (better filtering).

Ramjack

Reaction score
Poor quality control on the mopar's? I don't know, just that apparently the RP and Wix have a better anti-drain back valve, and they use synthetic media instead of paper (better filtering).
Is this based on anecdotal info from this forum or is there a test posted on YouTube maybe? I've only done one oil change so far (at 1,000 miles) and I let the dealer do it so I have a Mopar filter. Maybe I will change.

(Update: Looks like you have to get the Wix XP version to get synthetic media so I guess that's what you're referring to. 57060XP for 5th Gens from what I can tell.)

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
Is this based on anecdotal info from this forum or is there a test posted on YouTube maybe? I've only done one oil change so far (at 1,000 miles) and I let the dealer do it so I have a Mopar filter. Maybe I will change.

(Update: Looks like you have to get the Wix XP version to get synthetic media so I guess that's what you're referring to. 57060XP for 5th Gens from what I can tell.)

It's mainly anecdotal data (reducing tick noise on immediate start), but there are a lot of reports confirming it. Did a quick google search, there is some good information in this thread here:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/lifter-tick-on-cold-start.3245/page-4

Rossi396

Reaction score
Update for Everyone:

Third or fourth cold start after the dealer oil change the lifter noise was a little bit less noticeable. Maybe a second less than it had been, so it still chattered for a couple of seconds. Added a Wix filter with the synthetic anti-drain back device and a half a quart (about what came out of the filter and whatever drained while changing it) of Lucas Pure Synthetic stabilizer...

...and haven’t heard a lifter tick since - maybe a half dozen cold starts. Not sure what fixed it but I have a hunch there may be something to changing the filter...

Best,

Ross

Last edited:

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
My 2012 1500 LoneStar (w/5.7 HEMI) developed the tick. When I first bought it in 2014, it didn't tick at all, but I had an annoying heat shield vibration/rattle at 1500-ish. Over the years, I'd been able to calm the rattle/vibration by tweaking the heat shield (driver side exhaust manifold heat shield, specifically), but it would come back eventually. Then about 3 years ago I noticed the tick starting to come on. After spending some time researching, I'd learned of the issue, it's either lifters or broken manifold bolts, and that Mopar is basically saying, "It's not a bug, it's a feature." Yeah... well... that sounds like a design flaw that would bankrupt them, considering this engine design has been in-use since 2002. Whatever.

I tried the RedLine 5W30, since it made sense with the added zinc to quiet the lifters. No joy. During my last oil change around 3 months ago, I took another look at the noisy heat shield and sure enough, the rearward most (last) exhaust manifold bolt was broken off and flopping around in the hole - the only thing keeping the head from flying out was, you guessed it, the nut holding the heat shield on. Wow. So, there's the heat shield noise and ticking issue wrapped up in a nice, tidy package. I'd thought about just pulling the manifolds and replacing them with headers & new ARP bolts, but I got a case of 'new truck-itis' a few weeks ago and traded in my 2012 on my 2021 - scared to death the dealership was going to hose me on my trade-in asking price because of the tick, but nope - engine was plenty warm when I got there (after driving 280 miles), so the topic never came up, fortunately. I'd never seen the official documentation until just now, so that makes me feel better about 'forgetting to mention' the HEMI tick on my trade-in. They already got a helluva nice truck with only 82K miles as it was.

Good luck with it, Ross. Hopefully, adding the Lucas won't be necessary moving forward for the life of the truck, but if it seems to be working, so much the better.

Users who are viewing this thread