5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make LED DRLs brighter

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would like a way to be able to turn off the led accent lights while the vehicle is running. lol
You can.

You will need a Security Gateway Bypass, a bluetooth connector for your OBD-II port, and AlfaOBD software to do it. Here is the setting to change in your Body Control Module (BCM) to turn off the upper and lower white accent strips off on the OEM projector LED lights:

CBC Extern Light Calibr: Signature Light Present- NO (from YES)

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the same boat as some people here, I came from 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it had some amazing DRL's. I thought the Ram was going to be the same but I'm a little disappointed. Thinking about getting that AlfaOBD or Tazer to adjust voltage. Does anybody have any before or after pictures after the voltage change? Not hoping for a miracle, but just curious if you can tell the difference.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
In the same boat as some people here, I came from 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it had some amazing DRL's. I thought the Ram was going to be the same but I'm a little disappointed. Thinking about getting that AlfaOBD or Tazer to adjust voltage. Does anybody have any before or after pictures after the voltage change? Not hoping for a miracle, but just curious if you can tell the difference.
I want to adjust it as well. I’m hoping there would be a tutorial/review for this before buying all the parts.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't waste your time. I adjusted the voltage for the signature lights to 12V and they are not any brighter. They are a joke. Thinking about putting a candle in the lights.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I second what @MannyN mentioned. I even went the extra mile and installed the Diode Dynamics LED boards and they are only marginally brighter. However I did install them for the color change capability.

On a side note I do have a spare headlight and am going to try and customize the headlight to except full LED strips behind the diffuser tubes instead of the measly single LED at each end. That would for sure be brighter. Just need to find the time to do it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That sux. Thanks for the heads up tho.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah appreciate the info. I don't have it in me to bake these lights yet. Too new for me to screw something up if not I would do the same find a way to add a led strip to them. I thought about getting the Morimoto ones as they look like they have a bright LED running light, but I don't want to drop $1700 for them while my lights are plenty bright.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Yeah appreciate the info. I don't have it in me to bake these lights yet. Too new for me to screw something up if not I would do the same find a way to add a led strip to them. I thought about getting the Morimoto ones as they look like they have a bright LED running light, but I don't want to drop $1700 for them while my lights are plenty bright.
Yes, and there is WAY more to it then baking the headlights. Ram uses Permaseal on the headlights and not Butyl Rubber. They are a pain in the rear!

Nick57

Reaction score
I second what @MannyN mentioned. I even went the extra mile and installed the Diode Dynamics LED boards and they are only marginally brighter. However I did install them for the color change capability.

On a side note I do have a spare headlight and am going to try and customize the headlight to except full LED strips behind the diffuser tubes instead of the measly single LED at each end. That would for sure be brighter. Just need to find the time to do it.
Do you have any pictures of them? How do you like them so far? Are you able to turn the strip off if you don't want it on at all? Did you install them yourself or have someone do it?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of them? How do you like them so far? Are you able to turn the strip off if you don't want it on at all? Did you install them yourself or have someone do it?

Here is a thread I did up on the subject:

They have been great so far. The strips can be turned off in the app. Did the installation and customization myself. If you have never done headlight retrofitting do not start with 5th gen Ram headlights.

TractorM

Reaction score
One thing I will say is I appreciate that the turn signals don't delete the DRL's like other vehicles. I hate that look. DOT regulations say that the turn signal can not compete with the DRL. I prefer the look of the ram over brighter.

raygun9

Reaction score
I had a gen4 sport before I had the 2020 Rebel.. morimoto had the xb LED headlights that looked a lot like the gen 5 leds. The two white strips on the top and bottom where not tubes they were full LED strips used as DLRs and looked AMAZING. The bottom one would dim when you used the sequencial directional and they would dim when you turned the headlights on. They updated the look for the gen5s and I hate them :) Wish they had kept the same look for the Gen5s.

These lights and the new hood vs the Gen4 sport hood are the only things I don't like about the Gen5s.

Users who are viewing this thread