5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make LED DRLs brighter

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I love the way my LED DRLs look, but they are pretty dim compared to ford and chevy. Is there a way to make them brighter?

Thanks

AlexMaxiMen

Reaction score
I want it make brighter too. And my choice is Diode Dynamics. They have Multicolor RGB lights, i don’t want colors, but i like bright white light.

Maybe anybody knows better, your welcome!:)

Отправлено с моего iPad используя Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I love the way my LED DRLs look, but they are pretty dim compared to ford and chevy. Is there a way to make them brighter?

Thanks
It’s intentional; they’re not DRLs (your headlights are). The housing itself diffuses much of the light. Please search for existing threads on this topic.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have this installed? I'd like to see before and after pics.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure if the headlights come on in drive. Also don’t see DRL in my settings screen. Maybe I don’t have DRL just the accent lights?

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
In Alfaobd you can change the output voltage to the LEDS to make them brighter as well. Truck with the headlights as DRLs make the strips go dimmer, when I turned off the headlight as drl the strips are brighter.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I see. You turned them off in alpha odb or the setting on the radio? Thanks

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
I turned them off in alfaobd, don't have the option on my radio. You can also do it with tazer as well too.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I see. You turned them off in alpha odb or the setting on the radio? Thanks
If you have a U.S. truck you can turn off the DRL's through uconnect light settings. I didn't notice if the accent lights got brighter after I turned mine off, though.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you have a U.S. truck you can turn off the DRL's through uconnect light settings. I didn't notice if the accent lights got brighter after I turned mine off, though.
I’m pretty sure it’s a US truck. I’ll look tomorrow thanks

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just checked and the DRLs are disabled. Guess this is how I will run it for now. not gonna spend $220 just to make the accents brighter. Is there any other way?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I read in another thread that alphaOBD can increase the brightness of the led accent lights. Is this true? What about tazer or Jscan?

thanks

vinnieloo

Reaction score
I am half guessing but I looked into this a little. If anyone knows better please correct me. Each accent light is an LED at the end of a frosted tube. The tube diffuses the light to make the strip you see. I think each LED is soldered on to a little circuit board. You would have to change that out to make it brighter. I believe LEDs get brighter by increasing current. Not sure if any of the OBD2 programs can change that. Or would have to figure out how to install outward facing diffused LED strips.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in. I didn’t know about the 1 led. Like I said someone stated that the current or voltage could be turned up to make it brighter in alphaobd. I haven’t seen anything else about this so I was just wondering if it’s possible. Looking for an easy way to mod it

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have noticed brighter accent/eyebrow lights on some Rams running around town. I was wondering if they've made a change on the 2021's? My 2019 lights were barely visible. I was thinking they (Ram) made them into drl's now. Yes? No?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have noticed brighter accent/eyebrow lights on some Rams running around town. I was wondering if they've made a change on the 2021's? My 2019 lights were barely visible. I was thinking they (Ram) made them into drl's now. Yes? No?
I’ve seen this too. Wasn’t sure if it was a 2021 or a Laramie thing. Looks a lot better than mine in the sun

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
Yep, love the lights in the dark and the output is great but wish the ‘accent lights’ were true DRLs - not sure why they went that route - the Chargers and Durango’s have some of the best DRLs of any car IMO.

My solution for aesthetic purposes was to use Alfa to make my turn signals DRLs, others have done the same thing. The amber may not be for everyone but I think it looks better, certainly more visible, and IMO looks better than having the low beams on as DRLs.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The tazer can also chanfpge the drl’s to be be the amber turn signal.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Now that you mentioned this....my neighbor just drove by a minute ago in his 2021 Powerwagon and his accent lights looked brighter than my other neighbors 2019 Limited. Hopefully the guy with the 2019 pulls out of his garage soon, so I have an apples to apples comparison.

Nick57

Reaction score
I would like a way to be able to turn off the led accent lights while the vehicle is running. lol

Users who are viewing this thread