5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maintenance wuestion

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I am a new RAM owner and first time Heim owner and I am more confused than normal.

first where in the manual is the maintenance for the first 2 years? my manual (page 365) shows a chart that starts at 2 years and goes up.

i know it states:
Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

But nothing about mileage? I always thought between 5-7,500 miles was time for a change with full syn.

also I see in posts here that a few suggest the 1st oil change at about 1,000 miles? Is that to get rid of the break in oil (I didn’t think they still used break in oil)? I mean I see in the RAM app that there is a coupon for Full syn oil change for $45.95 and 3 of them for $100 (hemi slightly higher of course) which seems like a deal to me (good for 2 years) but do I need to or just go by the indicator for the first 2 years.

thanks

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am a new RAM owner and first time Heim owner and I am more confused than normal.

first where in the manual is the maintenance for the first 2 years? my manual (page 365) shows a chart that starts at 2 years and goes up.

i know it states:
Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

But nothing about mileage? I always thought between 5-7,500 miles was time for a change with full syn.

also I see in posts here that a few suggest the 1st oil change at about 1,000 miles? Is that to get rid of the break in oil (I didn’t think they still used break in oil)? I mean I see in the RAM app that there is a coupon for Full syn oil change for $45.95 and 3 of them for $100 (hemi slightly higher of course) which seems like a deal to me (good for 2 years) but do I need to or just go by the indicator for the first 2 years.

thanks
Do the first change where you feel comfortable, did mine at 4k because that's when I finally got a chance to do it. Engines do break in and release debris the first couple thousand miles.
If you're using a high quality full synthetic, I personally use Amsoil, then you should have no issues going with oil change indicator.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Finally got my truck back.

that was absolutely ridiculous.

they had it for 2 months. returned it extremely dirty, and with rotten wipers
Do the first change where you feel comfortable, did mine at 4k because that's when I finally got a chance to do it. Engines do break in and release debris the first couple thousand miles.
If you're using a high quality full synthetic, I personally use Amsoil, and a quality filter, then you should have no issues going with oil change indicator.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Fixed it for you. I agree with everything you said. Just wanted to add the bit about the filter. Doesn't make sense to use high quality synthetic oil, only to cheap out on the filter. Not saying you do that, just assuming you forgot to mention that part.

Users who are viewing this thread