5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maintenance on the power running boards

Rupp

Reaction score
Any of you guys know what the suggested maintenance is on the power running boards? What lube to use so the joints don't gather a lot of dirt, how often, etc?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Any of you guys know what the suggested maintenance is on the power running boards? What lube to use so the joints don't gather a lot of dirt, how often, etc?
When I notice the factory applied white lithium grease has disappeared I just add more. Not the spray, but actual grease. The grease will also help with rust build up.

You may also notice the steps have diminished speed when the grease is gone.

Skater

Reaction score
I use the white lithium grease spray, the same spray I use on my garage door hinges. I typically spray the hinges and moving parts every six months. Recommended maintenance?????

Snotadoodge

Reaction score
Surprised there were so few comments on this. I live in snow/salt country and have not done any maintenance on the hiding step rails (there is a better name for this?).

Spraying while lithium grease seems easy enough, but is that the proper method? Seems the moving parts would be somewhat sealed?

Splat10

Reaction score
Reviving this thread again. My 2019 boards are suuuuuper slow now and sometimes won't even deploy. I've sprayed them a few times over the years with wd40 (which i'm guessing isn't working). I'm wondering if i should take them off and give them a really good cleaning / lube before winter. I see mentioned above applying white lithium grease (not the spray) but not sure how other than just smearing it on??? I don't see any zerks (which would be nice).

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I have not done a single thing to mine in 3 yrs of living in Pa with mine.
I would assume a good cleaning and a lube would not be a terrible idea if they are acting up

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not done anything to mine on the '21 Laramie in 3 years living in NH.

Malodave

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've used the spray on dry white lithium grease on mine. I sprayed all the joints I can get to while deployed. But I hate the way it looks when it dries with the white film.

RAL

Reaction score
I would keep them clean - remove all salt and other dirt and grime with warm water (out of a garden spray nozzle, no pressure washing), clean them with a distilled solution of simple green, and then rinse again with warm water. Clean them in the extended position. Make this part of your routine with the truck. Either air dry or use a small leaf blower to blow them dry. If the owners manual says to grease them, do so, in the manner and with the particular Mopar product specified. If there is no advice on this in the manual, I would still probably still lubricate any visible hinges with the same type of grease specified for door hinges.

Last edited:

n8zcc

Reaction score
I've got two Michigan winters on my boards and no issues (yet). When I clean the vehicle, I use the power washer to clean the dirt (I live off dirt roads) from the pivot points of the boards. I've not used anything to lubricate the pivots nor have I read anything about lubricating the pivot points.

I saw in a post someone used WD40 on the pivot points, WD40 isn't a lubricant but a product like Fluid Film is and that is likely the lubricant I would reach for if the need arises.

Same with the deployable bed step, I blast the dirt off of its pivot points but have not needed to lubricant the pivots yet.

mplaramie

Reaction score
I wonder if they even look at them when you tell them to lube the running boards. Have you actually checked?
I've only had two oil changes but checked each time and they were lubed. My dealer knows I'm anal and look at everything.

Mayzer23

Reaction score
I just asked my dealer at my last oil change what grease they use for maintaining the power running boards as mine have been squeaking a bit. When I came to pick it up they gave me a brand new can of Sea Foam Deep Creep at no charge & said that's what they use. Squeaks are gone & haven't returned as of yet!

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I spray the joints on mine every now and again.. I also try to remember to give them a good soak every 5k when I change the oil.

I use this Lithium garage door spray stuff. Can't recall the brand.. but 62k miles in South Jersey (alot of Salt in the winter) and they still work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online