5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maintenance cost of eco-d vs hemi

Borsig

Reaction score
Im curious about the maintenance schedules and added costs of the eco-d.

How much DEF are you guys using.

What oil does it require, and how much. What are the cost of the fuel filters, etc.

What's the interval vs the hemi?

TIA....

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DEF usage for me is about 5 gallons every 7,000 miles or so. The 3rd generation Ecodiesel needs an oil that meets Ms12991 specs, there are lots that do. The engine takes 8.5.

Oil changes at the dealer are expensive as the filter is about $50, but you can do it yourself for under $100 if you are handy.

The fuel filter is the same as the Cummins and can be purchased for $20 or so and is changed every other oil change (20,000 miles).

Borsig

Reaction score
so pretty much like my TDI.

Everything diesel costs double plus def :/

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so pretty much like my TDI.

Everything diesel costs double plus def :/
Yeah, but almost double the mileage too. I had a 2019 Hemi and traded it in on my 2020 Ecodiesel. I didn't like the lack of low end torque the Hemi had, and the fuel economy was abysmal.

Borsig

Reaction score
but at 10K miles a year.... how long to recover that.

My big concern also is things like def tanks and heaters have a 3/36 warranty. Those things are prone to breakage

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
but at 10K miles a year.... how long to recover that.

My big concern also is things like def tanks and heaters have a 3/36 warranty. Those things are prone to breakage
For me it was more about not liking the Hemi. Financially it will probably never make sense to buy a diesel, but neither does buying a 93k truck.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Not having MDS is prob worth getting the diesel, even if you don’t need it.
Gosh how I despise MDS on the HEMI... :poop:

Borsig

Reaction score
I might need to drive the eco D before ruling it out. But I do HATE diesel emissions

KSOTI

Reaction score
Not having MDS is prob worth getting the diesel, even if you don’t need it.
Gosh how I despise MDS on the HEMI... :poop:
Have you tried turning it off? There is info on this site somewhere for doing so. Think it involves using the paddle shifter and manually selecting 8th gear. Personally I'm ok with mds just wish it could be engineered to only drop to 6 cylinder some how. That would make a big difference cruising at speed.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Very personal decision.
More and more the diesel option is suffering due to emissions related costs. I would look at what the factory extended warranty covers as there’s a lot more to go wrong with a diesel and they cannot be fixed by just any place.
(My local Firestone doesn’t touch them as they don’t have diesel techs.)

My bro’ had huge issues with his 14 Dmax and sold it just before the ext warranty ran out. He won’t own a newer diesel without that coverage (and he drove a semi for over 30 years).

So consider that the diesel is likely to cost you in ways that fuel savings won’t offset, if you keep it past the warranty period (and god forbid you get water in the fuel, instant denial of claim).

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Have you tried turning it off? There is info on this site somewhere for doing so. Think it involves using the paddle shifter and manually selecting 8th gear. Personally I'm ok with mds just wish it could be engineered to only drop to 6 cylinder some how. That would make a big difference cruising at speed.
I do that every time I get in the truck. It’s just PIA having to do this every time you start the truck. First world problems for sure, but still a PIA.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread