5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magsafe Charger help

Blackshirts

Reaction score
I bought two different MagSafe chargers. Both worked in my house when plugged into the outlet. Neither work in the truck. It will charge then disconnect and repeat every 2-4 seconds. Is this a voltage issue with the truck? Is it a compatibility issue? I you have one that works in yours, please let me know so I can buy it. Thanks!!

Blackshirts

Reaction score
I want the magnetic type that attaches to the vent then plugs into the USB port

jws1982

Reaction score
Do they plug directly into the car’s usb ports? If so, try a 12v outlet or 120v outlet adapter. I believe the vehicle usb ports are expecting to see a smart device rather than just putting out a constant 5v current for charging. Charging some devices, like my mobile hotspot, shaves the same way as you describe. It cuts off and on every few seconds. The ports charge my phone fine though.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I think you're overloading things.
My manual implies the USB is only good for 2.5A. 2.5A@ 5.0V = 12.5W

The auxiliary 12 Volt (13 Amp) power outlet can provide
power for in-cab accessories designed for use with the
standard “cigar lighter” plug. The 12 Volt power outlets
and 5 Volt (2.5 Amp) USB Port (Charge Only) have a cap
attached to the outlet indicating “12V DC,” together with
either a key symbol, battery symbol, or USB symbol

What I saw on a Magsafe page says it wants "Recommended: 20W USB-C Power Adapter."

Maybe stick one of those lighter plug to USB adapters in the 12V socket and see what happens then?

biggggant

Reaction score
yeap i use a pitaka magsafe charger with the wall plug

seansmd

Reaction score
I bought two different MagSafe chargers. Both worked in my house when plugged into the outlet. Neither work in the truck. It will charge then disconnect and repeat every 2-4 seconds. Is this a voltage issue with the truck? Is it a compatibility issue? I you have one that works in yours, please let me know so I can buy it. Thanks!!
If you have the inverter in your truck plug in the AC wall plug. USB do not provide the right power.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone mount their MagSafe in the front of the center console where the phones are supposed to go? I’ve been thinking about doing this

Users who are viewing this thread