5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnaflow or Carven catback? And why?

SupremeWill

Reaction score
Just like the title says, I need opinions and reasons. I can't decide between Carven and Magnaflow when it comes to a catback system. I really like the tips on the Magnaflow but I'm worried it might not be loud enough, if I am spending the money on exhaust I want to make sure I am heard . I am lean towards the loudness of the Carven but I'm worried about the popping and crackling I have heard in a couple sound clips.

I had a 2014 Ram with a Borla touring kit, and I have a Durango R/T with a Corsa Sport kit. For reference.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've listened to way too many sound clips.

NDanecker

Reaction score
I did my research on above including Borla. Borla didn't have a kit for a 6'-4" bed yet. Carven had some issues with a poorly designed muffler that a number of people complained about. Read they redesigned the muffler but still got rid of the poor design inventory so make sure it's the latest design. I have found a number of people who have removed or replaced their Carven exhaust. I get everyone has their own taste but ya need to still ask why? Haven't come across one person who removed their Maganaflow because they were unhappy. It has great sound and price was right (20% discount at hotexhaust).

Friend at work has Flowmaster and it sounds nice. He just did the muffler though (not cat back). I used to love flowmaster back in the 80's and they were THE muffler to get for the 5.0 Mustangs. I had a 88 GT. I know how they sounded back then and I didn't want something like that for the truck (too loud and terrible drone). I'd check them out though if you 'want to be heard'.

Do some searching. There is plenty of comments already on this board on all 3 systems.

calvinjwilcox

Reaction score
I have the Carven on my 19. Can’t beat the sound. I don’t think any other manufacturer comes close. Nice and mellow inside but regardless of who you choose, you will always have some drone when MDS kicks on. It’s tolerable with the Carven and is almost unnoticeable if you have the radio on a moderate level.

I installed it myself and it was mostly a breeze. I was one of the unfortunate ones who bought early and got the old rear hanger design so I ran into a lot of issues aligning the rear sections with the factory cutouts in the bumper. I took my truck to a muffler shop and they welded some washers on the hangers to keep them centered.

Carven redesigned the rear sections after many complaints and it’s resolved so you shouldn’t have any alignement issues.

If you do choose Carven, buy it expecting cr*p customer service. Read through my prior posts on my install and you’ll see. Basically it came down to lots of talk and promises and little follow through on their part.

Sound, affordability, and quality...Carven has my vote (y)

SupremeWill

Reaction score
Thank you very much too the guys who are responding. I know there's probably a dozen threads on this. but I really don't have the time to search through all the different threads because they tend to get off the subject.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Carven all the way. Probably the loudest exhaust available, but it is a nice deep tone and not overly loud to the point where it is annoying. The sound in the cabin is noticeable, but not bad. If the MDS bothers you, you can always disable it, but if you have the radio up at all you will hardly notice it. I wanted something I could hear in the cab. It's a truck with a hemi, and I wanted to hear it. The Carven does that. The cold start in the morning is pretty loud, but I live in a neighborhood where the houses are packed together pretty good and I haven't gotten any complaints about starting my truck at 4 AM for work. The wife loves it and the kids will still fall asleep in the backseat.

From time to time my wife will drive the truck to the store and I love the way it sounds driving off from inside the house.

Users who are viewing this thread