5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnaflow or Carven catback? And why?

joe77

Reaction score
Hello everyone,,
Just like the title says, I need opinions and reasons. I can't decide between Carven and Magnaflow when it comes to a catback system. I really like the tips on the Magnaflow but I'm worried it might not be loud enough, if I am spending the money on exhaust I want to make sure I am heard . I am lean towards the loudness of the Carven but I'm worried about the popping and crackling I have heard in a couple sound clips.
mobdro lucky patcher kodi
I had a 2014 Ram with a Borla touring kit, and I have a Durango R/T with a Corsa Sport kit. For reference.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've listened to way too many sound clips.

Last edited:

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello, if you want to be “ heard “ then I suggest the Borla Atak. You’ll get the quality that you know with the sound that you want.

jonnismith11

Reaction score
I just installed a magnaflow 18" part number 12288. Love the way it sounds! It's still breaking in since I have only driven about a hundred miles since installation. Little drone at 75 with the 8 speed and 3.21 gears, but for the most part it is quiet at cruising. Then sounds mean when the throttle is opened up. Anything is better sounding than the stock exhaust. So I don't think you will be disappointed either way. If I ever buy a travel trailer, may probably replace mine with a 22" magnaflow. We'll see. I can't keep my foot out of the throttle right now. I am partial to magnaflow though. Had it on every Dodge truck I've ever owned.

AlexMaxiMen

Reaction score
My first step was Carven R-Series. It was very loud, than i add Vibrant performance muffler, it was loud:) and finally,i made helmholtz resonators, and now its perfect sound. On low rpm quiet,when pull down,its loud)))

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

A10

Reaction score
I have the carven competitor cat back and I absolutely love the sound. It’s aggressive on start ups and a nice rumble while driving. It will drone if mds kicks in so I always turn it off. Only issue I have had was the tip alignment. Such a pain. If I was going to do it all over again, I would buy the muffler and tip package only. It would make tip alignment a breeze. Only thing is you will have to cut and clamp the new muffler on. Or pay a shop to do it, they won’t charge much for this. This route would probably sound a little different because it won’t delete the smaller mufflers near the tips. (I’m sure there is a proper name for them but u get the idea).

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the carven competitor cat back and I absolutely love the sound. It’s aggressive on start ups and a nice rumble while driving. It will drone if mds kicks in so I always turn it off. Only issue I have had was the tip alignment. Such a pain. If I was going to do it all over again, I would buy the muffler and tip package only. It would make tip alignment a breeze. Only thing is you will have to cut and clamp the new muffler on. Or pay a shop to do it, they won’t charge much for this. This route would probably sound a little different because it won’t delete the smaller mufflers near the tips. (I’m sure there is a proper name for them but u get the idea).
those are the rear resonators. those make a huge difference in sound. if you want it to sound like the carven catback and be really aggressive, then delete them. if you dont want it that loud but still want the carven sound, keep them but probably plug those weep holes in the rear resonators unless you like how exhaust leaks sound lol

Reactions: A10

19TXLimited

Reaction score
My first step was Carven R-Series. It was very loud, than i add Vibrant performance muffler, it was loud:) and finally,i made helmholtz resonators, and now its perfect sound. On low rpm quiet,when pull down,its loud)))

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

Pictures of your HelmHoltz resonators? What length did you use? Were you able to eliminate all drone in V8 and 4-Cyl? I figure you would need two Helmholtz in order to eliminate for both.

rebelmeg

Reaction score
I just installed a magnaflow 18" part number 12288. Love the way it sounds! It's still breaking in since I have only driven about a hundred miles since installation. Little drone at 75 with the 8 speed and 3.21 gears, but for the most part it is quiet at cruising. Then sounds mean when the throttle is opened up. Anything is better sounding than the stock exhaust. So I don't think you will be disappointed either way. If I ever buy a travel trailer, may probably replace mine with a 22" magnaflow. We'll see. I can't keep my foot out of the throttle right now. I am partial to magnaflow though. Had it on every Dodge truck I've ever owned.
do you know if the MagnaFlow 12288 will fit on the new body ram rebel 2019? v8, 4wd

Users who are viewing this thread