5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnaflow exhaust

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still surprised how loud these cold starts can be though!

I'm coming from a Borla XR1 muffler on my last rebel. It was a stock system with a borla "straight through" muffler as the only replaced part. Kept the resonators and everything.

A few times I would leave the ex-girlfriend's house at 2am, and the streets would be covered in ice. Frozen dry air... The truck has been sitting awhile.
I would hit the remote start and wince,
"Please don't be loud please don't be loud please don't be loud."

My truck:

:ROFLMAO:
and it held that exhaust note for like 2 minutes.
And if you breathed near the exhaust pedal, you knew if it got over 2,000rpms it was going to open a can of whoopass. I'd try to idle away as best I could, and I tried to park further away and walk in the cold!

By comparison? The magnaflow unit is much closer to stock. :ROFLMAO:

I did have a police officer listen to the cold start once, asked him about the noise factor on the magnaflow system.
His opinion? "Honestly that sounds awesome, and that sounds fine to me!"

Dankey73

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on the Magnaflow Direct-fit 19433, haven’t installed it yet. There’s not many videos on YouTube of this setup. Hoping it’s not too loud, that muffler is pretty small.

Sniper75

Reaction score
I have that same set up also for almost a year now. Its noticable but not annoying asper the wife. You will enjoy it very much I know I have.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on the Magnaflow Direct-fit 19433, haven’t installed it yet. There’s not many videos on YouTube of this setup. Hoping it’s not too loud, that muffler is pretty small.

Hmm, judging by the looks of it, it'll have some bark, BUT with the factory resonators in place, there might be some taming going on.

Without hearing it in real life I'm going to guess it's:
- Honestly kind of loud, BUT still a tasteful level
- Louder than you expected, but not "too loud" to want to take it off.

Volume level aside it will probably sound good. :cool:

Dankey73

Reaction score

This video claims it’s not much louder than stock, just a deeper tone. They give it a 2 out of 5 on the loudness meter. If it’s accurate, that’s what I’m looking for.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This video claims it’s not much louder than stock, just a deeper tone. They give it a 2 out of 5 on the loudness meter. If it’s accurate, that’s what I’m looking for.

Oh wow!!
I'm not gunna lie I expected way more than that!

I'll be honest when it said "moderate noise level", I personally thought it was like, "exhaust shop who puts on straightpipes all day" level "moderate". :ROFLMAO:
Just visually? It looked a lot like my Borla XR1 (on the last ram) sizewise. And that one was sporty when you got on it.
I'm floored.

I guess the stock setup aside from the muffler really is doing a lot of sound taming all on its own?

I think you'll love it then.

HydroRebel

Reaction score

I've had that muffler on my truck for quite some time now and I would have to give it a 2.5/3 out of 5 on the loudness meter (compared to stock). We all hear differently for sure. It's a much deeper exhaust note than stock and it sounds really good when you're on the outside of the truck. It's much louder on cold starts compared to stock. On the inside, it can be pretty quiet when you're driving sensible (kid's have no trouble sleeping) but you can hear it when you walk on it even though the cab on these trucks is very well insulated. This particular kit is perfect for people who live in a residential area, though your neighbors will have no trouble hearing it start on a cold winter morning.

Dankey73

Reaction score
I've had that muffler on my truck for quite some time now and I would have to give it a 2.5/3 out of 5 on the loudness meter (compared to stock). We all hear differently for sure. It's a much deeper exhaust note than stock and it sounds really good when you're on the outside of the truck. It's much louder on cold starts compared to stock. On the inside, it can be pretty quiet when you're driving sensible (kid's have no trouble sleeping) but you can hear it when you walk on it even though the cab on these trucks is very well insulated. This particular kit is perfect for people who live in a residential area, though your neighbors will have no trouble hearing it start on a cold winter morning.
Thanks, I’ve seen your YouTube clip (and commented🙂), that’s the one that drove me to order it.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Thanks, I’ve seen your YouTube clip (and commented🙂), that’s the one that drove me to order it.
No problem and thank you, glad I can help! The young kid that's still trapped in my head would've loved a Borla Atak but that wouldn't go over very well with the wife, kids or neighbors! I'm happy with the Magnaflow though it's perfect for my current situation and I hope you're happy with yours when you install it.

Dankey73

Reaction score
No problem and thank you, glad I can help! The young kid that's still trapped in my head would've loved a Borla Atak but that wouldn't go over very well with the wife, kids or neighbors! I'm happy with the Magnaflow though it's perfect for my current situation and I hope you're happy with yours when you install it.
Installed it tonight, so far, I love it. I can idle through town and it’s really quiet. Sounds great when you’re on it. Cold start is pretty loud, but I can live with it. MDS is almost not noticeable. Your description was spot on.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Installed it tonight, so far, I love it. I can idle through town and it’s really quiet. Sounds great when you’re on it. Cold start is pretty loud, but I can live with it. MDS is almost not noticeable. Your description was spot on.
Good to hear, glad it worked out for you. Also good to hear my ears still work ok!

Sv250

Reaction score
Thats exacy what it does. Imagine gurning up the bass and not the volume.

kevinvw

Reaction score
I'm coming from a Borla XR1 muffler on my last rebel. It was a stock system with a borla "straight through" muffler as the only replaced part. Kept the resonators and everything.

A few times I would leave the ex-girlfriend's house at 2am, and the streets would be covered in ice. Frozen dry air... The truck has been sitting awhile.
I would hit the remote start and wince,
"Please don't be loud please don't be loud please don't be loud."

My truck:

:ROFLMAO:
and it held that exhaust note for like 2 minutes.
And if you breathed near the exhaust pedal, you knew if it got over 2,000rpms it was going to open a can of whoopass. I'd try to idle away as best I could, and I tried to park further away and walk in the cold!

By comparison? The magnaflow unit is much closer to stock. :ROFLMAO:

I did have a police officer listen to the cold start once, asked him about the noise factor on the magnaflow system.
His opinion? "Honestly that sounds awesome, and that sounds fine to me!"

I’d say the same thing when leaving an ugly chick’s house under the cover of darkness.

Sniper75

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you are until my buddy got a flow master and i went with magnaflow it sounded better. Go with Magnaflow you won't regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread