5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MagnaFlow #19433 - Drone?

dreinert

Reaction score
I just installed the MagnaFlow Ram 1500 D-Fit Muffler kit (cut and bolt in).

I'm no expert but I feel like, even with Eco mode off, there is a drone from ~65-75mph (1500-1800rpm) when there's a load on the engine. It's not at all noticeable on declines, hardly noticeable on flats, but definitely noticeable on even slight inclines. By drone, I feel like the best or easiest way to describe it is that with the cruise set if I hear the low constant "drone"; I downshift to 7th (~2200rpm) and it's quieter. I also used a cheap BAFX Sound meter to see if it was more than just my perception and it also showed a ~2db difference on inclines as well.

I have the 5" Carven Exhaust tips but kept the resonators to help keep it a bit quieter. Any thoughts or feedback on things I could try to mitigate it? Any chance plugging the weep holes in the resonators would help?

Maybe I just need to give it a few days to get used to it or keep in "Full Send" so the RPMs are never that low!! ;)

Thanks for any feedback!

Fitz

Reaction score
I have the Flowmaster FlowFX (similar to magnaflow) and experience the drone you describe. I often keep it in 7th gear at those speeds (cuts roughly 3 dB in my truck and the tone is no longer bothersome). This issue has me considering a muffler swap or going back to stock.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Every magnaflow muffler I have ever used on my 4th has a terrible amount of drone.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the even more aggressive Flowmaster Outlaw and it's pretty quite at those speeds.

You can tune your exhaust a bit by messing with the resonators. You have 3, the two next to the tips and the one after the cat. The weep holes only make sounds at idle outside, covering them shouldn't make a difference. Maybe a larger resonator in place of the stock one after the cat?

Also, even straight through mufflers without packing material will break-in over time, as the metal itself heats and cools, the tone will change. Hopefully for the better in the next few days before you decide to send it back.

dreinert

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I decided to swap back tonight and I have mixed feelings for sure. I drive too much on the phone for the constant rumble but after switching back to stock and going around the block I feel like I’m driving a Prius!

Fitz - Thanks for FlowFX info, I was wondering if the FlowFX might give me something between stock and Magnaflow but sounds like not or at least not enough to stop me from whining! :)

Users who are viewing this thread