5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnaflow 11229 Muffler Installed

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
About a week ago I had the Magnaflow 11229 muffler installed (14 inch). I wanted to have a little time with it before my write up so here it goes.

First Impressions:
This thing would not be considered obnoxious, but you know it's an after market muffler. I had never owned a vehicle with any after market exhaust components before so this did make an impact on me at first. I feel you could think of it behaving just like the stock muffler, but louder everywhere except for cruising speeds.

Sound:
I love the sound of this muffler! It has a low tone and some good base. You hear it most under normal to moderate acceleration through the first 5 gears. I took before and after videos on my phone, but they dont do it justice at all. I never thought it was too loud, but at first it was quite different considering how quiet the stock system is. After one week its settling in nicely and I'm very happy.

Drone:
There is very little drone with this muffler. Keep in mind all I did was have a shop remove the stocker and weld this one in. I get a little drone at the top of a lower gear if its holding on before a shift. I hear it most if MDS is engaged around 25-35 mph and I'm accelerating without it kicking out. Otherwise, no drone in MDS at higher speeds while cruising and this thing is as quiet as stock on the highway.

Interesting observations:
On the highway I found that I can accelerate in 8th gear a bit easier. I have an S&B cai and I was getting vibration at around 2k rpms, that is now gone. Also, the instant mpg (lie-o-meter) is showing 1-2 mpg better cruising in 8 cylinders, but not much of a difference with MDS on.

Overall I'm totally happy with this muffler. I paid $189 out the door, parts and install at Performance Muffler here in PHX. The real test was having my fiancee ride in it with me and her comment was simply, "it sounds like a truck".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread