5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Made the step up

deathbug74

Reaction score
Been shopping for awhile...my little B series isn't really wide enough for 2 bikes in the bed, and not enough space for the better half and kiddo, either. With 2 larger (70-80lb) dogs joining the household over the last couple years, we needed more space (even the Civics were a squeeze, and we also wanted something a little more suitable for those winter trips to the snow. After loving the Ram we had as a rental Labor day weekend, we were kind of sold, and finally made the jump into a 2023 Big Horn Crew Cab this week. Digging around for wire routing and antenna mounting ideas to move the existing radio setups from the Mazda to the new truck landed me here (and found lots of good info).

It's probably not super obvious, but the username alludes to my other long term project, which is an aircooled VW.

Thanks in advance for all the great info!

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Been shopping for awhile...my little B series isn't really wide enough for 2 bikes in the bed, and not enough space for the better half and kiddo, either. With 2 larger (70-80lb) dogs joining the household over the last couple years, we needed more space (even the Civics were a squeeze, and we also wanted something a little more suitable for those winter trips to the snow. After loving the Ram we had as a rental Labor day weekend, we were kind of sold, and finally made the jump into a 2023 Big Horn Crew Cab this week. Digging around for wire routing and antenna mounting ideas to move the existing radio setups from the Mazda to the new truck landed me here (and found lots of good info).

It's probably not super obvious, but the username alludes to my other long term project, which is an aircooled VW.

Thanks in advance for all the great info!
Congrats on the new rig! And I had to check out your post as soon as I saw your username... One of my first vehicles was a '74 Beetle. Powder blue, and one of the best winter vehicles I ever owned (other than the lack of immediate heat :ROFLMAO:)

deathbug74

Reaction score
Congrats on the new rig! And I had to check out your post as soon as I saw your username... One of my first vehicles was a '74 Beetle. Powder blue, and one of the best winter vehicles I ever owned (other than the lack of immediate heat :ROFLMAO:)
Thanks! It was my first as well, in the extended family since new. Mine is mostly still Marina Blue (a little more sea green in it than powder blue), though i did a swath of rattle can black from behind the headlights down across the front apron. and while it took a little to warm up, when it did, it got HOT (i've melted cd's that fell down by the heater outlets in back).

The other funny twist is that with both trucks, i was shopping on specs and not really worried about color...ended up with blue both times (Patriot Blue for the Ram, and whatever Ford called that dark Royal Blue they used on the late 90's/early 2000's Rangers, since the B Series is really just a Ranger underneath).

Congrats and welcome
Thank you :cool:

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First, OP, Welcome! Posting a pic of the new rig is always encouraged!

HemiDude...did you live in a northern climate with snow? We had a 71 Beetle, and it was HORRRRRIBLE in the snow...I could turn that wheel to full lock and that damn thing would still go straight ahead. Made for a truck load of fun though...I loved driving that gutless wonder. And I'm not so sure I'd call it "heat" so much as I'd call it "fairly above outside temperature", and don't get me started on having an ice scraper for the INSIDE of the windshield. Gawd, I miss that car!!

EDIT: Hemi - just noticed you're from Ohio...me too, we lived on the east side of Cleveland back then and a foot of snow just meant it was Tuesday, so now I'm really curious!)

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

HemiDude...did you live in a northern climate with snow? We had a 71 Beetle, and it was HORRRRRIBLE in the snow...I could turn that wheel to full lock and that damn thing would still go straight ahead. Made for a truck load of fun though...I loved driving that gutless wonder. And I'm not so sure I'd call it "heat" so much as I'd call it "fairly above outside temperature", and don't get me started on having an ice scraper for the INSIDE of the windshield. Gawd, I miss that car!!

EDIT: Hemi - just noticed you're from Ohio...me too, we lived on the east side of Cleveland back then and a foot of snow just meant it was Tuesday, so now I'm really curious!)
Yes, I lived just outside of Columbus at that time. The Beetle seemed to just glide on top of the snow, rather than try to plow through it (I had some pretty aggressive snow tires on it too, which I'm sure didn't hurt).

And I know what you mean about ice inside the car - I had my first accident due to that characteristic. We piled in the bug leaving school one snowy winter day. While waiting in line to get out of the parking space, the cold air blowing from the "heater" made the wet pad on the clutch pedal icy. My foot slipped off the side of the clutch pedal and I launched into the girl stopped in front of me :LOL: . No one was hurt, but I had to work some OT to pay for her repair.... Good times

deathbug74

Reaction score
Thanks! Since things got finished late in the day, I brought it home lot-dirty and unwashed, with the promise of scheduling a wash...that's in the AM, but I'll try to get something after that.

Also still waiting for some basic goodies seat covers, trifold bed cover, and antenna bracket) in the mail, and have a few things that will be transferring from the Mazda. Still going back and forth on radios (the ham kind...been pondering a lot in the mounting thread), too...whether to go with the preferred interface (Icom) or more features (Yaesu, mostly APRS).

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new truck .
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread